Mudweighting

Royston

49 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

One thing I would add to all the excellent advice given is............if you are in the situation of swinging or throwing the weight make sure that when it lands it goes into something soft and wet.

It could do a lot of damage if it lands back on the boat!!!!!!!!

Jeff  

Worth noteing Jeff thanks 

All the joking aside Roy, mud weighting really is one of the best things to do if you want to experience the real Broads rather than public or pub moorings. You can tuck yourself away somewhere and feel like you're the only people on the planet. No noise, just the water and the wildlife. Sit outside at dusk with a nice glass of wine on a summers evening, it's just magical.

Mud weighting and wild mooring are two of my favourite things to do. I hope you manage both on your next Broads adventure x

• Like 3

Must admit I have never had any problem on Salhouse either - cannot think how many times I have mudweighted there either in the bay round the corner or close up to the trees the Horning end. The advantage of Salhouse is that as its virtually surrounded by trees so there is a lot of shelter available  - indeed I often tie up to the trees so I don't have to get the mudweight dirty!!!!

• Like 2

A mud weight is also useful when stern on mooring, by dropping the weight 5 foot from the bank( or sooner if high cross wind) will stop you from  swinging from side to side and bumping the bank while moored this will give you a quieter nights sleep. John

7 hours ago, Gracie said:

Mud weighting and wild mooring are two of my favourite things to do. I hope you manage both on your next Broads adventure x

Presumably on your favourite list of things to do, but AFTER the drinking of wine, which of course is the top of the list :409_wine_glass:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Bikertov said:

Presumably on your favourite list of things to do, but AFTER the drinking of wine, which of course is the top of the list :409_wine_glass:

Oooohhhh what are you saying about Gracie?

Wine has never needed a reminder list... :default_drinks:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Oooohhhh what are you saying about Gracie?

Wine has never needed a reminder list... :default_drinks:

Smoggy, Smoggy, Smoggy, dear boy ...

If you are going to rant, criticise and complain about my above post, I respectfully suggest your read it properly first.

I referred to, and used, the word FAVOURITE, and not REMINDER

Clearly Gracie doesn't need a REMINDER for wine, and I would never dream of suggesting such a thing.

However, it is quite reasonable and even proper to suggest Gracie has a FAVOURITE list, and that wine is quite possibly at the top of that list.

Ergo, my statement was correct, and any thought of reporting my post to the Mods would clearly be wasting their valuable time.

That aside, have a nice day :default_icon_wave:

(Note: Other teasing, sarcastic and tongue-in-cheek posts are available ...)

• Haha 2

On 16/03/2023 at 07:29, Gracie said:

All the joking aside Roy, mud weighting really is one of the best things to do if you want to experience the real Broads rather than public or pub moorings. You can tuck yourself away somewhere and feel like you're the only people on the planet. No noise, just the water and the wildlife. Sit outside at dusk with a nice glass of wine on a summers evening, it's just magical.

That's exactly my thinking Gracie ,as long as it's within rowing distance of the bank so I can walk Eddie my  Chihuahua and stretch my legs i,'ll be fine ,

It twill add a new dimension to what I've done previously plus giving more options for moorings , I remember spending a night on the island at ranworth without a dingy once as a last resort ,would have been nice to have the chance to row ashore  i,'ll be staying North I'm July with no rush to be anywhere in particular so ,I'm really looking forward to it 

once 

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 12:30, annv said:

A mud weight is also useful when stern on mooring, by dropping the weight 5 foot from the bank( or sooner if high cross wind) will stop you from  swinging from side to side and bumping the bank while moored this will give you a quieter nights sleep. John

Cheers for that tip john

On 15/03/2023 at 18:07, Splasher said:

In recent years i have usually hired a boat with a powered mud weight with a chain. When used in a broad I normally lower the weight and then reverse slightly to plough the weight into the mud to make it more secure. The chain drum also ensures that you don't loop it round your leg!

However, for using a manual mud weight:

First ensure that the rope is connected,

And the end to the boat is secure,

For it wouldn't be wise if you threw it away

in the Ant or the Thurne or the Bure

The rope should be tied to the mud weight,

But ensure that the fixing is tight,

For you’ll really be goosed, if the fixing comes loose,

And your boat floats away in the night.

The technique to lower the mud weight,

Is your personal choice I would think,

You can lower it gently, or drop it or throw,

(But whatever you do please ensure you let go!)

Or you’re likely to land in the drink.

When you’re leaving the mooring remember,

To raise up your mud weight in time,

But tie it a bit below water,

To remove all the mud and the slime.

That's ace    poetic advice brill 

Apart from the actual deployment of the mudweight, you need to make sure you and your dog can get from your boat to the dinghy and then back on safely. It should go without saying that lifejackets should be worn at all times. 

7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Of course I'll have a nice day, I'm going bobbin' once I finish work at 12.00, and after a drive to norwich, ok sometime this afternoon I'm going bobbin'. (all the way to a pub, then I'm going stoppin') :default_beerchug:

I'm curious , what's bobbin ? lol

18 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Apart from the actual deployment of the mudweight, you need to make sure you and your dog can get from your boat to the dinghy and then back on safely. It should go without saying that lifejackets should be worn at all times. 

Many thanks Steve ,me and little Eddie have our life jackets on at all times whilst boating of any kind ,we go canoeing and kayaking a fair bit 

22 minutes ago, SteveO said:

21 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

If you go to South Walsham to mud weight, cruise around the southern perimeter to check out where the dinghy staithe is before dropping your mud weight. We settled ourselves for the evening rather too far away! 

Yeah good thinking  , never been to South walsham to the best of my knowledge