Video Of Wild Camp On The Broads

SwanR

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

Sadly it is not  the Simon's of this world that we  have to worry about but those who attempt to emulate his ability to live, respect and survive in a fragile environment. 

It is those who light fires in high risk area's such as reed beds and peat beds in drought conditions, leave rubbish which threatens wildlife and cattle and domesticated animals alike with such tragic consequences.

How does one differentiate between the two?

The same could also be said of Fishermen, there are good and bad, most clear up after themselves, some don't. The same with boats on wild moorings, some do no damage, others leave discarded BBQs and other rubbish behind. We shouldn't denounce someone enjoying nature in a natural and considerate way, because of the ones who won't.

It is not Simon in the wrong, it's the dregs of society whether they be wild camping, boating, or fishing.

• Like 2

I do actually agree with you MT 👍

The problem I have is the message that this is sending out.

It's OK to just rock up wherever and whenever you feel like and wild camp. AND leave no waste human or otherwise. 

BUT how many others rock up and leave a mess?

My answer is quite a few 😫

By putting this type of video on YouTube simply encourages the less responsible.

• Like 3

And like it or not, he is still trespassing and camping without permission.

Where he is between White Slea and Heigham Sound is on Norfolk Wildlife Trust land and whilst in winter, the likelihood of damage by fire is lower, it can still happen.

Fires burn down into the peat, or even old mud which it is in that spot and can spread underground - believe me I know as I once had it happen on part of Catfield  Fen - the fire burned quite some distance underground overnight despite having taken great care to have put out the original fire. At the time we were burning some old reed and the aftermath was quite an area of reed bed - fortunately we were out again the following day in the same spot and eventually dug down to ensure it was out, but it can be so dangerous however careful you are! Fortunately it was quite fortuitous that it actually burned the wrong way - towards the edge of the bed and not the rest of it.

• Like 3

On the one hand he's saying "look at what I did" and on the other there is an element of "how to...".

He could have showed a little more responsibility by explaining what his toilet arrangements were to save those who are inspired by him, any doubt. It's not just bears that go in the woods then.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 15:22, SwanR said:

Ooops … I just enjoyed this for the entertainment value and seeing the river in challenging conditions.

As with everything in life Jean you've gotta have fun with it, have a laugh, and just keep smiling.

Thanks for sharing :default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1