Ranworth Update

CambridgeCabby

I remain hard-line agnostic about the BA, the Broads look to be in reasonable shape and I couldn't care less about the National Park issue. I simply don't believe that anyone at the BA really wants to restrict boating.

But, I think the creeping spread of mooring charges is totally wrong. We pay for the moorings in the tolls. Paying at the Yacht station shouldn't happen and Ranworth and Reedham continue a trend which will never be broken. It will be all the others next. This is a complete change in the BAs business model and one I will write to the BA and my MP about.

Remember, the BA received £440,000 extra from Defra after the Toll rise was announced. I agree it would have been 'good politics' to drop these charges.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, batrabill said:

I remain hard-line agnostic about the BA, the Broads look to be in reasonable shape and I couldn't care less about the National Park issue. I simply don't believe that anyone at the BA really wants to restrict boating.

But, I think the creeping spread of mooring charges is totally wrong. We pay for the moorings in the tolls. Paying at the Yacht station shouldn't happen and Ranworth and Reedham continue a trend which will never be broken. It will be all the others next. This is a complete change in the BAs business model and one I will write to the BA and my MP about.

Remember, the BA received £440,000 extra from Defra after the Toll rise was announced. I agree it would have been 'good politics' to drop these charges.

If I was as eloquent as you I could have written that. 👍

It describes my feelings perfectly.

The only thing I would take a slightly different view on is the charging at The Yacht Stations. It has been many many moons since I overnighted at GTY so I will have to ask if they provide any other services in addition to assisting mooring such as Pump Out like they do at Norwich to justify an overnight charge.

For the record I am more than willing to pay for several nights at both Beccles and Oulton Broad but of course they are not operated by BA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

For the record I am more than willing to pay for several nights at both Beccles and Oulton Broad but of course they are not operated by BA.

A question if you live in the East Suffolk Council area do you have to pay for mooring over night at Beccles or Oulton Broad Yacht Stations?  I assume you have also had to pay for them in your council rates?

I should add I am totally against the intended charging by the BA for mooring at Ranworth.

I think it’s fair to say the charges are in place at, Beccles, Oulton Broad, Norwich & Gt Yarmouth as they are manned with facilities, and charges have been in place for years.

As against free 24hr moorings now being charged for, which I also think is wrong.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tobster said:

I think it’s fair to say the charges are in place at, Beccles, Oulton Broad, Norwich & Gt Yarmouth as they are manned with facilities, and charges have been in place for years.

As against free 24hr moorings now being charged for, which I also think is wrong.

It's the thin end of the wedge.😭

Where next?

37 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

It's the thin end of the wedge.😭

Where next?

I don’t really have an issue paying at the manned yacht stations and can’t remember there not being a charge, at least you can book a space and know it will be there when you arrive.

I 100% agree that starting to charge for the already paid for 24hr moorings is the thin end of the wedge.

Where next, probably some kind of CO2 carbon offset charge whilst cruising……. Knowing the current BA.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tobster said:

I don’t really have an issue paying at the manned yacht stations and can’t remember there not being a charge, at least you can book a space and know it will be there when you arrive.

I 100% agree that starting to charge for the already paid for 24hr moorings is the thin end of the wedge.

Where next, probably some kind of CO2 carbon offset charge whilst cruising……. Knowing the current BA.

To be clear for those new to the discussion you can book in advance at Oulton Broad & Beccles but not at BA facilities

Where next, probably some kind of CO2 carbon offset charge whilst cruising……. Knowing the current BA.

Super.

So if I plant a tree in my garden I can get a free mooring at Ranworth for my diesel boat.

If I cut down yet another diseased tree in my garden I will not be allowed to moor at Ranworth.

Well we have cut down 4 trees this year alone and will probably cut down at least 2 more 🫣

Sorry tree huggers but try having them in your garden.😳

• Haha 2

The only thing now is to wait for the End of the Boating Season on what the Broads Authority does to the Ranworth Staithe either to be Fenced off or the Hoses to be taken away as the Water Taps to be Turned off and leave shore power on as to Boaters using Pay Cards to the Metter.

14 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Please remember,

Under the ToS, we do not allow personal insults against people.

Any posts will be edited or deleted.

Does this count a personal insult?

FC7A2CC7-B736-4F90-82EB-17E1A20590C8.thumb.jpeg.7fc22fd5059a1fc4609cf0740227f9ea.jpeg

Colin:default_biggrin:

• Haha 10
  • Love 1

Well I am looking forward to what will quite possibly be our last season on the Broads. A 13% increase in tolls is bad enough but to  be rinsed for £10 every time I want to overnight at one of our favourite moorings is frankly the last straw, and I haven't yet seen how much our moorings will be going up this year. Congratulations Dr Packman, I am sure you are feeling very pleased with yourself.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

Every year we seem to see an increase in the toll in excess of inflation. Our toll this year is now over £1000. That’s quite a chunk out of my pension what with mooring, insurance and repairs but charges for mooring at Ranworth or Reedham won’t force us of our boat. We don’t stop at Reedham as we prefer Reedham Ferry and rarely venture north so Ranworth is not an issue but if we did, the mud wait comes to mind and the inflatable which can be pulled onto the staith (no mooring required). So Steve, don’t give in just yet, Packman is not immortal and won’t be here for ever.

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Wonder if they’ll turn off the water and electric over the winter period.

I don't see why they would,they've never done it before out of season,but then again who knows.

Its strange how the Milk gets in the Coconut 

• Like 1

First night of our holiday and, perhaps inevitably, we have ended up in Ranworth. I don't like paying, but I want to visit Ranworth, so we pay. What has really irked me is that when we payed, we were told that we are OK until 10 a.m, so not even a full 24 hours.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Davydine said:

First night of our holiday and, perhaps inevitably, we have ended up in Ranworth. I don't like paying, but I want to visit Ranworth, so we pay. What has really irked me is that when we payed, we were told that we are OK until 10 a.m, so not even a full 24 hours.

I would point to the sign that says 24hr mooring. Maximum stay 24hrs.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Davydine said:

Like  Meantime.I would point out we've  paid for 24 hours.