does anyone remember this

loribear

:wave hi everyone i found this postcard on ebay of an old pub, but i can't ever remember seeing it,i think it was called bure court hotel, & was suppose to have been in wroxham, can anybody remember it & remember where it was ? lori :Stinky[attachment=0]$(KGrHqQOKigE5dk6sFmRBO(mHS510!~~_12.jpg[/attachment]

Hi Lori

It was indeed called the Bure Court, I believe it was just off the main river near where Summercraft are now (someone will correct me if I’m wrong). Very sadly it burnt down in the early 70’s. It was actually advertised in the 1975 Blakes handbook including the line that it still had real ale available by handpump (this was in the bad old Watneys days when most pubs were all keg). I spent some time rowing up and down the river in a dinghy looking for it only to be eventually told that it burnt down. So I never did get the chance to go in. :cry

cheersbar

Thanks for that Barry. Tom must have been a bit of a cask ale fan as the Lodge was something of an oasis in its day. It was first listed in the 1977 Good Beer Guide and had an impressive selection of ales for its day. I certainly remember going in there and having a few!! 3.gif

cheersbar

post-131-136713881601_thumb.jpg

The Bure Court caught fire on the sunday morning of March the 16th 1975. I was one of the last to leave on the saturday night. Tom had just opened a traditional bitter bar, which boasted 7 real ales, only the week before. This pub was actually on the main river on the corner of the dyke leading to Summercraft.

I was invited to the opening night of the Lodge at Salhouse which was exactly one year later on March 16th 1976.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I don`t remember the pub, even though we passed by it in June 70, but i do remember seeing the boat in the photograph in the Hoseasons brochure. There were 2 in the class called "Shari" and "Shallock" from Alan Johnson boats at Acle bridge, although the actual boat in the picture could be one of an identical class from another yard. I reckon Dan would know. I always liked those boats but never got around to hiring one.

:wave i can't ever remember passing it at all, but it looked a really nice place, it looked different to normal hotels you usually get these days, it looked like it had abit of character about it. lori ice slice

Totally agree Lori. It's sad to lose any successful business but this ones appeal seems so unique and unusual from what could be found near peoples home that I think such a place would have really added to the magic of the Broads.

Does anyone know why/how it caught fire?

On the boat front - looked a bit Wilds like to me, though really I only like the odd one but on the whole I am not too hot on firewood! :naughty:

Dan

Yea I remember it Lori.

As recalled in my early broadland Memories on Carol@s wonderful memories web site. http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/page36.html

We stayed in a houseboat owned, I believe by the hotel in a delightful little backwater behind the hotel, very early 1960s

I also recall a small thatched holiday cabin near the houseboat. I will fish out some photos when I get round to it, won't be for a day or so though.

Barry,

Someone was indeed using a blow torch, but trying to cure a leak onthe flat roof of an extension at the back. Unfortunately this extension was north facing and on that day there was a very strong northerly wind blowing which caused some sparks to blow into the thatch. The wind was strong enough that at the fires height the flames were reaching the far side of the river

• 2 years later...

Just joined the Forum and spotted this thread. 

I lived opposite the hotel on the other side of the main River Bure. Here are my photos, before, during and after the fire.

post-30176-0-12904700-1404323031_thumb.jpost-30176-0-09742800-1404323037_thumb.jpost-30176-0-64007200-1404323043_thumb.j.

Scary stuff for someone to be near a thatched roof with a blowtorch!  

• Like 1

Hi jgsman and a very warm welcome from me too.

Many thanks for posting the pictures of Bure Court – fascinating yet so sad that it went in such a fashion. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I was very disappointed to have not had the chance to go in – I must have missed it by a few months at most. You are very lucky to have lived so close!!

I’m not sure if you have seen Carol’s website http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/ which has a lot of old photos and much more besides. Well worth a look.

cheersbar