"Suitable Boat"

senator

Can't quote as on phone but David it is odd that any mention of bridges brings them out but given the chance to educate they go very quiet.

In an earlier post my phone decided that the Yarmouth Bure bridge should be bytes, in trying to demonstrate this I typed in bure and got hirer. Maybe these phones are pretty smart after all. Given another 20 years I think that might be all you see on the North.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Can't quote as on phone but David it is odd that any mention of bridges brings them out but given the chance to educate they go very quiet.

I have to admit saying things along that line myself in the past, but not in the context of meaning that there should`nt be any high performance offshore craft on the broads. My comments were made regarding the increasing number of hirecraft being built which would`nt allow passage under some of the lower bridges, and it seemed at one point that virtually every new hirecraft was a high level dual steer which would restrict me from reaching some of my favourite stretches of rivers.

I totally agree with the above quote Ian, as when we`ve had threads about the swing bridges being out of action, there`s been several, shall we say "bordering on the sarcastic side" comments about having a "more suitable" boat. I would have thought any boat would be a suitable boat for the southern rivers due to the existance of swing/lift bridges and sea locks etc, and after all, it`s not just offshore craft that have high airdraught which restricts navigation. Many of the hire fleets include sedan and dual steer designs, which although are not my choice for the broads, are still very popular. Would any of those be classified as unsuitable boats for the broads which is incidentally where they were designed and built?.