SAIL DRIVES

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Can anybody remember the old saildrive type of engine installation?. It was where the engine saat bolted to a grp flange that was grp bonded to the inside of the hull moulding. The whole layout looked like a convetional engine sat on top of an outboard motor leg which went through the flange and out of the bottom which did away with the propshaft and the all the underwater metalwork etc, except the rudder etc. Does anybody still make or install these installations, as they seemed to be a good concept. Did they have any drawbacks, and if so, what were they?. I think this type of installation would have its merits in saving space in the bilge which would enable the fitting of water, waste, and fuel tanks as well as batteries etc centrally, and low down. I think every hire boat we`ve had developes a "list" to one side or another due to the fuel tank emptying on one side, and the waste tank filling on the other. This type of installation COULD resolve that, so why does it not get used more often?.

More popular than ever and on a huge number of new yachts and in a similar but more powerful guise on mobos in the guise of IPS et al. As far a saildrives go the major atvantage to builders is they are cheap and easy to install. I'm not sure the vulnerability of the things makes them appropriate for hire boats, at least in yachts they are protected by a keel.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I would have thought the long central skeg on a displacement hull would offer protection, plus the fact that it could be all kept well aft which would be great for internal space. I deal in a hire boat, or any boat designed for inland and river use.

I would have thought the long central skeg on a displacement hull would offer protection, plus the fact that it could be all kept well aft which would be great for internal space. I deal in a hire boat, or any boat designed for inland and river use.

No, sticks out too far.

Volvo and Vetus both sell saildrive legs, its still used on new boats.

If you want gain the space in he middle of the boat, then transverse the engine in back with hydraulic drive as is common practice, balance the weight with gas bottles and batteries on the other side.if you want all your tanks in the middle to stop the list as fluids are used then you will end up with a very funny layout, tanks are usually under births and seats as there is not enough depth under there floor.