Could this be you?

RedRover

Don't you just love this country.

A heart warming tale of greed an jealousy.

I refer of course to the comments not the artical.

"Never done a days work in his life"? So his property empire built itself then?

Yes he may have been quite privileged in the first place but he paid nearly enough in tax each year to keep a family of 8 on benefits, that is despite him paying for his kids schooling rather than choosing to let the state educate them at there expense.

Hopefully he will pick himself up soon or there will be no money left to pay for all those that really have never done a days work in their life.

Don't you just love this country.

A heart warming tale of greed an jealousy.

I refer of course to the comments not the artical.

"Never done a days work in his life"? So his property empire built itself then?

Yes he may have been quite privileged in the first place but he paid nearly enough in tax each year to keep a family of 8 on benefits, that is despite him paying for his kids schooling rather than choosing to let the state educate them at there expense.

Hopefully he will pick himself up soon or there will be no money left to pay for all those that really have never done a days work in their life.

:clap:clap:clap

Think this is totally the wrong place for this?? ,it,s not anything to do with ,boats ,,or the Norfolk broads!!!, there are thousands of folk in the same boat..pardon the pun!, :mad::mad:

Sorry Trevor but not sure why you are mad at us - I though the Lounge was the place for idle chit chat as the board index quotes "Non Boat/Broads related Topics and Discussions".

You are of course quite right there are many people with similar and difficult circumstances at the moment. In this particular case it just goes to show however "sucessfull" someone has been there is still room for crap to happen.

I was also under the impression that the lounge was for what you would talk about in the pub and as this is non party political I can't see a problem.

What it does highlight is that regardless of how much you have paid in, if things do get tough and you do fall on hard times, the safety net set up to allow you to feed your family has been well and truly emptied by those that have never contributed.

Nah Trevor,

If you want something to make you mad try this :?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -plan.html

At least the guy in the article was self made, there won't be much of a safety net for him.

It was his business and he made the decision and will have to live by it, something that all of us in business have to.

He certainly didn't learn from the example of Nick Leeson as this was a punt in any other name, the sad thing was he had a way out before it got that bad and that was to tell his children "sorry but you are off to the local comprehensive school".

Senator

"Hopefully he will pick himself up soon or there will be no money left to pay for all those that really have never done a days work in their life."

Err and who are these disgraceful leeches on society? No doubt you can reel off anecdotal evidence of these wretched sponges and perhaps you may even have stumbled across one begging outside the local Dole Office!!

Really, methinks your Daily Mail goggles should have gone to Specsavers!!

The vast majority of people who I have met and have been unfortunate to lose their jobs see the welfare system as a temporary safety net which protects them until they return to the dignity of work.

Of course there are exceptions but thankfully they are just that, exceptions!!

Paul

Seemed like a good case of if it seems to be too good to be true it normally is from what I thought as I read it, and also that if you are going to go into business stick to things that you know about or have a genuine interest in as your chances of success will be so much higher.

Perhaps cutting back on and making some hard choices re losing the school fees, even if you lost some face might have also been the better pill to swallow, though of course easy in hindsight, but pride does sometimes come before a fall and I think that sort of example will be a timely reminder to many.

Dan

Paul, I agree completely that there are a number of people who have fallen on hard times and are desperate to work. This number is even higher now and they are the ones that the welfare system is supposed to assist.

Unfortunately they will struggle to claim a pittance in an attempt to stay afloat while the professional scrounger makes a very good living out of it. If that was not the case would there really be uproar about capping the income paid in benefits to a maximum of £500 pet week per household.

There are whole community's that have never worked and for who welfare is a way of life. If there wasn't there would be enough money to ensure that your friends could get by until they were back on their feet.

The vast majority of people who I have met and have been unfortunate to lose their jobs see the welfare system as a temporary safety net which protects them until they return to the dignity of work.

Sorry, but from my experience the welfare system is pants for those that truly need it. When I was made redundant in 2008 I signed on at the Job Centre only to be told that I was entitled to the grand total of £68 per week Job Seeker Allowance. Out of that I was expected to be able to pay all my bills, my mortgage and feed my family.

I decided very quickly to try to become self-employed but to add insult to injury, I had to declare as soon as I worked over 16 hours per week (even if it was voluntary and unpaid) which meant I went for two months without a single penny of income. Bearing in mind the redundancy money I received was the absolute minumum permitted by law, it was a very dark time indeed. How people manage to survive on benefit is beyond me!