New for portman Road

w44nty

Just how many Norwich/Norfolk players do Norwich actually have in their team?, and the same goes for Ipswich :roll:

Support your local team :yawn: , about the only thing that's local is the Football Ground :lol:

Then again, most every professional football club, have more foreigners than local talent, that's if they have any locals at all.

A sport, nah, more like a business with the richest clubs having the best, and most expensive players.

The players are only in it for the money, and what money!!!. They have no loyalty to any particular club, and are quite happy to be transferred to another club, who were the oppostion the season before. But only of course if the money is right. :roll:

Wanna watch real football that's played for the love of the game, then go and watch you local amateur team, or inter-school match.

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not really a fan of professional football. :lol:

Mind you, my grandson, who is a staunch Ipswich fan, took great delight in telling me that Norwich lost to Sunderland at the weekend, while Ipswich beat West Ham 5 - 1 :naughty:

Dave :grin:

Just how many Norwich/Norfolk players do Norwich actually have in their team?, and the same goes for Ipswich :roll:

Support your local team :yawn: , about the only thing that's local is the Football Ground :lol:

Then again, most every professional football club, have more foreigners than local talent, that's if they have any locals at all.

A sport, nah, more like a business with the richest clubs having the best, and most expensive players.

The players are only in it for the money, and what money!!!. They have no loyalty to any particular club, and are quite happy to be transferred to another club, who were the oppostion the season before. But only of course if the money is right. :roll:

Wanna watch real football that's played for the love of the game, then go and watch you local amateur team, or inter-school match.

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not really a fan of professional football. :lol:

Mind you, my grandson, who is a staunch Ipswich fan, took great delight in telling me that Norwich lost to Sunderland at the weekend, while Ipswich beat West Ham 5 - 1 :naughty:

I think Norwich do have a couple of local boys on the books, most notable the young keeper whom had his debut a week or so ago.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Totally agree with you there Dave. I`ve given up on football these days, though i do still support Chelsea, and have done so ever since i was about 8 years old (45 years ago), even when they were languishing at the bottom of the old 2nd division. Bike racing is my favourite sport, and none of them get anywhere near the same earnings as these over rated, over payed, over ego`d prima donna`s.

I think Norwich do have a couple of local boys on the books, most notable the young keeper whom had his debut a week or so ago

Good to hear, but if he is any good, he'll likely be sold on for some ridiculously high transfer fee.

As I understand it, although it's was seconhand information, that Ipswich had a very talented young local lad, who came throught their Academy, to play in the team.

Connor Wickham I believe his name was.

He was apparently very good, and as a result, this local talent was sold to another club for profit, far away from his Ipswich home.

As I said, it's business, not a sport, and it's all about money.

Dave

MR W44NTY, We have spoken about your misplaced enthusiasm before! This post has a subliminal message by the way!!!!

Oh dear Gav!,nevermind the Tractor Boys are famous in Europe.

I was in Germany the other week I met a German footie fan, and I asked him the following question.

"Do you know how many goals Norwich City scored past Ipswich Town last season"

His answer was "NEIN"

Damn clever these Germans

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

We've got Chris Martin on loan from Norwich at Palace and I'm sure he's a Beccles lad

But of course Beccles is in Suffolk, so he would have been Suffolk boy playing for Norfolk. As I said before, how much of any professional teams content is local, not a lot.

So, when football supporters get fanatical about supporting their "local" professional team, it's just the name and the football ground that's local. Most of the players being imports.

As for the money that floats around the game, have you seen Abramovich's boat :lol:

Village and school football teams, now that's a different story all together.

BTW, although I have lived in Suffolk for the past 26 years, I am a North London boy, born and bred, so I have no particular allegiance to Suffolk, or it's football team, but it is a very nice county in which to live :)

Dave

post-663-136713885493_thumb.jpg

But of course Beccles is in Suffolk, so he would have been Suffolk boy playing for Norfolk. As I said before, how much of any professional teams content is local, not a lot.

So, when football supporters get fanatical about supporting their "local" professional team, it's just the name and the football ground that's local. Most of the players being imports.

As for the money that floats around the game, have you seen Abramovich's boat :lol:

BTW, although I have lived in Suffolk for the past 26 years, I am a North London boy, born and bred, so I have no particular allegiance to Suffolk, or it's football team, but it is a very nice county in which to live :)

Dave

[attachment=0]yacht.jpg[/attachment]

So whats wrong with stupidly rich Russian, investing into our country, paying players a fortune who then go out spending it in our resaurants, clubs and viehicle dealerships, to mention a few. I would guess they all have cleaners, gardeners, window cleaners. Just stop and think of all the people who have jobs thanks to a rich russian with a very big boat. Im a Norfolk boy and im very happy with how Norwich are punching above their weight with a team of mostly home grown tallent and by home grown i meen UK. But this forign investment helps us all when our own economy is broke.

Players have been nomadic for decades, i belive if you look all the way back to thats horrible plane crash that killed most of the Man United team, the team was rebuit from players from all over the country.

Lastly if you were a great player playing for your local team made up of you and average players, you would never get to show just how good you are, you would be held back by your team, never win a cup/league, never get the chance to shine and play for your country. its right to move on to further yourself as you would with any profession.

Just imagine if all that money was put into Cancer research, supporting our ailing health service, or supporting young families who have lost their dad in the current, or future military conflicts, to name but a few worthy causes.

I'm happy to accept that I might be in a minority here, but in terms of obscene wages and transfer fees, I put professional fooballers in the same league as the Fat Cat Bankers.

As I said, I am not a fan of professional football, have no allegiance to any team, and as such take a pragmatic view of the "sport", based on what I see and read in the media, and to be honest it leaves me somewhat disillusioned.

But then, like most all of the people on this forum, I had to work for my living to earn a reasonable wage, which I did for 45 years before retiring.

Anyway, we are going 'off track' here, and I think it best if we all agree to disagree, and put the subject to bed.

Dave

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Dave, i think your post above is a breath of fresh air, thanks for being a human being :clap:clap:clap . But i`l go along with your last comment and leave it there.

On a slightly different note, will you be on your boat during the first full week in May, as Karen and i will be on Swallow again for a week, and will be staying south again like last time. We met Grant at the Beccles meet, but it would be nice to meet up if you`re around that week. Regards ........... Neil.

So, do you think that the local village football team has no "outsiders"

I was lucky enough to manage a boys football team for 7 years, taking them from under 12 to under 18, ( we actually won the league at under 13 level).

Some teams had boys from outside their towns/villages, and would even at this age poach your good players.

So PLEASE do not say things like that, as no matter what level football is played at, you will never have a PURE LOCAL TEAM.

cheersbar

I bow to your superior knowledge on that one then Donny, so I rest my case. There is no such thing a truly local team, professional or otherwise.

When England, Scotland, or Wales play, then I assume the rules are that you must be native to play in the team. So in a sense, they become truly local teams, do they not?

However, I'm sure that amateur teams play for the love of football, and not money, so this is genuine sport.

As a non follower of the game, what I find contradicts the whole philosophy of professional football being a sport, is that those teams at the 'top of the pile', are generally the ones with the most money, because they can afford to buy, and pay, the best players.

Entertainment yes, a multimilion pound business yes, but a sport in the true sense of the word??. :?

Anyway, my young grandson enjoys it, as he has an Ipswich Season ticket, and goes to most of their away games as well. Plus the fact, after beating West Ham 5-1 last week, they went on to beat Coventry this week apparently.

Dave

Dave,

I agree with you that the profesional footballers of today get paid too much... and yes... the SPORTSMANSHIP has gone from the game

with the prima donnas, diving and rolling about to get penalties and free kicks...

BUT

When England, Scotland, or Wales play, then I assume the rules are that you must be native to play in the team. So in a sense, they become truly local teams, do they not?

No.......my son, born and bred in England, could play for Scotland........Because his grandmother is Scotish... so still not a truly native/local team member

Who said it once,....... IT'S A FUNNY OLD GAME

cheersbar