Serious competition for the Broads?

It seems that the Fens Waterways Link project have gone 'live' with their ambitious plans to build a complete city to city waterways network:

Full plans of the Fens Waterways Link have been announced giving details of what is being described as “the biggest waterway enhancement scheme in Europe†and the most important inland-navigation building project in two centuries.

The project aims to open up 240km of waterways, build 80 km of new waterways and give increased access to a further 160km of waterways.It also promises to link the cathedral cities of Lincoln, Peterborough and Ely for the first time as well as providing links to the market towns of Huntingdon, Boston, Spalding, Crowland, Chatteris, St Ives and Ramsey.

In turn it will connect the River Trent, Fossdyke and Witham with the Nene and also the Ouse Middle-Levels as well as the Grand Union Canal to Nottingham.

The project, part financed by the European Union’s Regional Development Fund, aims to boost the number of boating visitors as well as increase the focus on waterside life with business opportunities such as boat repair yards, marina developments, shops, restaurants, bars as well as new accommodation.

This project, once complete, will bring a World-class network, suitable for all kinds of boats whilst enhancing the environment and surely in addition to The Broads, truly make our inland waterways a target destination for cruising boaters.

Story Link http://eastcoastboating.co.uk/wordpress/?p=1081

Fens Waterways Link... link - you know what I mean.. http://www.fenswaterways.com/

Thoughts? Certainly will open up a whole new cruising ground! cheersbar

I wouldn,t call the river Welland a waterway anymore, from stamford to market deeping it,s little more than a stream in places and has wiers, but no locks,Spalding has some locks, and a river taxis but is still very shallow, (the lock is permantly open),so don,t really know how they can claim it,s a waterway??

I for one would love a watery connection from the broads to other national waterways. But for all those who will throw their hands up in horror, it is never going to happen.

Mind you I still think that the broads should have larger commercial traffic (sugarbeet/Wheat etc) I can still remember the odd bottom clenching moments when passing the coasters that used to transit to Norwich.