Snuggtopz Shopz - needs your input

Guest Snuggtopz

Hiya

I am pleased to let everyone know that from April ( opening date to be arranged )

i will be opening a riverside shop at Bramerton Woods End !!

The prime reason for this is a sewing base for canvas and upholstery but I will also

be stocking some boaty stuff like deck fittings, mud weights and the like.

What would be helpful is to know the sort of things you lovely boaters would like to see there ?

money is limited so I won't be able to stock £1000 radar kits to begin with but who knows ?

with your support I will do my best to provide what you actually want to see there .

I will post up the opening date closer to the time so I do hope that some of you will be able to

come and see us to say hi, and yes we would love your input.

Kind regards

Richard and Saira

thanks guys I appreciate it,

the shop is located just beside the pub so mooring outside is no problem, you can even

look in the shop window from your boat :-)...

We also intend to run a 50/50 shelf for all those boaty bits and bobs most guys n gals

have kicking around, as long as they are clean and working I will be happy to sell your surplus items

and we split the agreed ticket price.

th_2012-02-24140851.jpgth_2012-02-24142030.jpg

Being where you are I suspect many would welcome the sight of a fridge with a pint or two of milk. Apart from Norwich and a long walk up the hill at Brundall, there is nothing until Reedham.

Otherwise just think of the regular consumer items that boats use. Blue stuff, maybe some oil, deinonised water, WD40 etc.

How about an order service for the morning paper??

Trevor

www.normanboats.co.uk

hiya

All really good ideas, I hadn't thought of gas or gaz the only problem with that would be

storage/insurance i suspect but i will look into it.

And seeing as I will have milk for my tea it wouldn't hurt to keep a bit more in stock

for customers :-)

There is wifi at the pub which will need extending, that is something I will be pushing

the owner to sort out or let me get it done.

Rich

hiya

Yes it has been very difficult for Phil the new owner, the last owner had lost interest

and the reputation sort of followed his lack of enthusiasm. But to put another spin on that

he was quite ill and was struggling to cope I think.

On the bright side Phil the new owner is a really nice guy and I would suggest that maybe

he should know any concerns people have had or still have. After all without customers

he won't survive.

Norfolk river pubs do take a long time to recover a bad rep and I think Phil is feeling it

through the last owner.

I know for a fact when he moved in the kitchens were condemned and he spend £20k

replacing the kitchen and a fortune replacing the key headings so he is really serious

about making it work.

For myself I have eaten the food there and really like it, ( before i took on the shop )

If anyone wants me to pass on comments I'd be happy to do that ?

Rich

hiya

thank you all for your help and encouragement, I am planning to open around the

2nd or 3rd week in April. The shop may not be totally stocked straight away but getting the

building ready and open is my first priority.

I will post up the opening date as soon as it is firm and as always it will be very nice to

see you all. Those of you that know me know I'm quite partial to a mardle :-)

Regards

Richard

Going back to the pub bit (apologies as this is a bit off topic) but I tend to agree with Trevor, it really ticks me off when pubs take an arbitrary decision to close early, I have also experienced this at the New Inn at Horning and it is really annoying. At least in Horning you can go to another pub! My experience of the Woods End is yes, nice people but a bit shy about opening. Pubs such as the Ferry at Surlingham or the Dog Inn at Ludham open pretty much all day, every day and enjoy an excellent reputation.

OK pubs might argue that opening when its quiet costs electricity and staff time. However the fixed overheads (e.g. rent) remain the same and there is nothing to stop the licensee doing a stint behind the bar! :naughty: It is a fact unfortunately that Broads pubs are very seasonal, busy in summer, quiet in winter. It’s not like running a town pub where trade is fairly constant. But I’m afraid nothing ticks me off more than going to a pub and finding it shut. That is a sure way to lose trade. One good way to rebuild a poor reputation is to keep the pub open and welcome customers, not drive them away!

cheersbar

That's it in a nutshell Howard. At Bramerton we've experienced both instances. Arrived to find it closing at 9pm. Then the instance I mention when, as you suggest, the bar staff were conspicuously sent home at 8.45 and the Landlord was not happy doing his stint!

I do hope that this has changed as the pub is in a lovely situation with idyllic (for a wide river) free moorings and an electrikery pole for extra comfort in winter!

Trevor

www.normanboats.co.uk

To add my tuppenth worth.... :cool:

Here is a golden opportunity! A small section set aside for newspapers, milk, eggs,

bread etc. I believe will make money. In the season there are usually a lot of boats

moored by the green but you can't even get a morning paper!

Do it Richard, you know you want to :dance

It,s a bit of a trek up to the pub ,for a weekend but in the past we have had a good night there, a good thing to have tucked away is a few packets of cigs....it,s a hell of a place to run out of them!!.Hope the new Landlord can bring it round ,but don,t think he will if he dosn,t change the menu, it was not exactly memorable the last 2 times we went :wave

hiya

Let me get into the shop first and then I will pass on the comments, anonymously of course

I do think you guys have very valid points and is in my interest now as well as the owners

to make it a nice place to visit.

I have been thinking about milk, eggs, papers etc but being stock that has sell by

dates i'm not sure ? maybe I can have a small try at that and see how it goes. I can't

really stock cans of drink or ice creams etc as I think it would be seen as treading on

the pubs toes and I really want our relationship to work.

How do you guys feel about Paypal payments in the shop ? I am thinking about

having it as a payment option . You would be able to use my computer or your own

mobile phone to send payment to my paypal account.

regards

Rich

brill idea.

I have a notepad document for keeping all the ideas so none of them

get lost.

Today I have ordered some fishing rods and bait etc and next week I will get some Staple and hemp rope from

Chatam Historic Dockyard, made on the 400 year old rope walk..

Regards

Richard

The ideas will keep coming in...

How about a simple one, A sign in the shop saying something like

"If you can't find what you are looking for, tell us, if we have it we can point you to it,

and if we haven't got it then it could be here the next time you come in".

Let the customers suggest what you might stock.

Good luck with the new venture.