Coming aboard

LadyC

Hi everyone. Just registered & I suppose the polite thing is to introduce myself. Spent many holidays on the Broads up to 1990, but after a long gap am taking to the water again in September. No doubt I am pretty rusty & my partner has never been on a boat before (has taken some persuading) so leave us plenty of clear water!

Taking no chances, have booked us "Sparkling Light" from Woods - should handle easily & we were not looking for swish facilities (we are campers & hikers so accustomed to basics). Main criteria is to get under That Bridge! Looking forward to the tranquil backwaters, wildlife, scenery, photo opportunities & generally seeing what has changed in last 22 years! Last time I was on the Broads was on a lovely old wooden boat from Woods - "Highlight" - things have certainly changed around the waterways! Spent several happy trips with a friends/family group on one of the Broom classic "Admiral" models.

LadyC? First boat I ever holidayed on in 1975 - Lady Carron from Burgh Castle. Built like an ice-breaker!!

:wave

Hi Lady C

Good to have you aboard and a very warm welcome. cheersbar

Very pleased to hear that you are returning to the Broads – you will certainly see some changes but the magic of a holiday afloat remains the same. You will still find the tranquil areas and September is a great time to be out, you should get the best of the weather and it should be a bit quieter by then.

Sparkling Light looks a good choice – should be easy to handle, very cosy and no problems getting under the bridges hopefully. My sister hired a similar craft from another yard recently and was very impressed.

Have a good one and please let us know how you get on!

All the best

cheers!

Only recent boating experience has been sailing with a friend who has a yacht up at Fleetwood. But after umpteen trips out on the open water of Morecambe Bay I long for the countryside & variety of the Broads. PLUS the relaxation of an engine that takes the boat just where you want to go in a more or less straight line!!

Thanks - great link! I seem to recall that our Lady Carron had a dark blue hull (I might be wrong), but I do remember it was steel & built like a tank! Deffo got her from Burgh Castle (Breydon Marine). Looked up the other boats I remember cruising on on that database - all long gone from the hire fleets now. Broom's "Admiral 6", Newson's "Amethyst", Hipperson's "Edith E", Wood's "Highlight", "Western Light" & yacht "Reed Bunting", Powles "Star Tracker". Ah! Memories!