On The Northern Rivers 1st 2nd June 2024?

TheQ

I've woken up...

Arrived Hickling sailing club 08:15, Saturday, left 05:00 Sunday. The to Horning Sailing club, unload, have breakfast, got home about 08:30.

Provisional results Yare and Bures in the first two places, then a wayfarer, which was actually the first boat home, then a Yeoman. I suspect the handicap finishing time might be the fastest ever.

14 did not start,

Wind a bit too much, 49 retirements last time I heard, but that's not confirmed.

Mid afternoon was absolute chaos from Martham through to Hickling broad. The gusty wind was being funnelled down through Heigham sound .

Many smaller boats capsized or got stuffed into the reeds, we sent the Hickling rescue boat down there, Martham guards ships rescue boat came up, and we are very grateful to Hickling Sailing club for launching 3 more rescue boats to assist. One Norfolk punt snapped her rudder shaft, a wayfarer got her mast stuck well and truly down into the mud. She'd snapped her centerboard in her crews  efforts to get her out of the mud, our rescue boat couldn't pull it out. So after recovering the crew, two of Hickling's rescue boats went down later and after considerable effort pulled her out without further damage.

As far as i know there were no injuries in the race other than minor cuts and a lot of bruises..

Down at Heigham bridge, the water was unusually high, to get a couple of the bigger hire sailing cruisers that were competing through , members of the public were borrowed as extra weight to weigh them down.

We saw our last competitor at 01:50, so settled down to snooze till first light then packed away. Returning the boat  loaned By Martham Boats Silver Jubilee, very nice she was too..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I've woken up...

Arrived Hickling sailing club 08:15, Saturday, left 05:00 Sunday. The to Horning Sailing club, unload, have breakfast, got home about 08:30.

Provisional results Yare and Bures in the first two places, then a wayfarer, which was actually the first boat home, then a Yeoman. I suspect the handicap finishing time might be the fastest ever.

14 did not start,

Wind a bit too much, 49 retirements last time I heard, but that's not confirmed.

Mid afternoon was absolute chaos from Martham through to Hickling broad. The gusty wind was being funnelled down through Heigham sound .

Many smaller boats capsized or got stuffed into the reeds, we sent the Hickling rescue boat down there, Martham guards ships rescue boat came up, and we are very grateful to Hickling Sailing club for launching 3 more rescue boats to assist. One Norfolk punt snapped her rudder shaft, a wayfarer got her mast stuck well and truly down into the mud. She'd snapped her centerboard in her crews  efforts to get her out of the mud, our rescue boat couldn't pull it out. So after recovering the crew, two of Hickling's rescue boats went down later and after considerable effort pulled her out without further damage.

As far as i know there were no injuries in the race other than minor cuts and a lot of bruises..

Down at Heigham bridge, the water was unusually high, to get a couple of the bigger hire sailing cruisers that were competing through , members of the public were borrowed as extra weight to weigh them down.

We saw our last competitor at 01:50, so settled down to snooze till first light then packed away. Returning the boat  loaned By Martham Boats Silver Jubilee, very nice she was too..

Thank you for the update and for all of the news.    It was very windy and we did wonder how you would faired well (hope that is the correct spelling of fair in this instance).     Too much excitement up at Hickling.

• Like 1

Never say everyone will go straight to the pub after finishing before closing time and won't want their breakfasts until the morning. And more wanted them on my morning shift as well!!!

• Like 3

The results are out.

https://www.3rr.uk/

Fastest trip 7 hours 31 minutes..the race distance is 50 miles, that means with tacking the sailing distance is more like 75 miles..

So the sailing average speed of that boat was more like 10 miles an hour!!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheQ said:

One of the cruisers was saying on Facebook they were disqualified for using members of public for ballast??

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NeilB said:

One of the cruisers was saying on Facebook they were disqualified for using members of public for ballast??

A bit more to the real story

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Outside assistance rule breach possibly, notwithstanding perhaps overloading. I did wonder how some might get on at Potter given the levels.   

Apparently 30 odd people without enough life jackets for everyone, plus as you say possibly overloaded.

11 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Apparently 30 odd people without enough life jackets for everyone, plus as you say possibly overloaded.

From what I heard, there was a rule change to allow extra crew as ballast, but they had to be in the cockpit area and with lifejackets. There have been a lot of comments that a time penalty would have been more appropriate - but, to me, it looked like they also held up another competitor, which isn't really on?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dom said:

From what I heard, there was a rule change to allow extra crew as ballast, but they had to be in the cockpit area and with lifejackets. There have been a lot of comments that a time penalty would have been more appropriate - but, to me, it looked like they also held up another competitor, which isn't really on?

Another casualty of the high water levels, the rules may need a rethink for the future otherwise the larger yachts won't be able to compete.

• Like 2

Maybe it would be better to time the boats out of the race as they pass a line before the bridges at Potter, let them get through in their own time (and their own way) and then clock them in again on the other side.

This is what they do at Reedham for the Yare Navigation Race.

12 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Maybe it would be better to time the boats out of the race as they pass a line before the bridges at Potter, let them get through in their own time (and their own way) and then clock them in again on the other side.

This is what they do at Reedham for the Yare Navigation Race.

That would penalise those that shoot the bridge using skill and then sail between the bridges!

This is on FB but the link should work https://www.facebook.com/liz.goodyear.5/videos/862408525696795/

Ladybird didn't sail between the bridges by the way!

Lapwing was the only yacht that managed to get to Potter and have problems - they also took a small child on board.  I think the 'ballast' had to be below decks so not helping.  It would have never got back underway anyway because the tide was coming up and by the time they would have got back the crowds at Potter would have probably gone home.

Some of the yachts also took on water containers that they might have filled up if needed

• Like 5

I woke up at around 4am Sunday morning (moored outside The Bridge Inn Acle). I thought I'd heard voices, and suspect it was yacht making their way up to the bridge. They obviously weren't making a lot of noise. Anyway, I got up and saw the last few cabin cruisers go past before the rescue boat came along to pick up the buoy that had been placed near us.

The buoy is a marker at which they are allowed to start paddling and therefore can lower their mast heading for the bridge. Or must stop paddling leaving the bridge.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

The buoy is a marker at which they are allowed to start paddling and therefore can lower their mast heading for the bridge. Or must stop paddling leaving the bridge.

I wondered what a buoy was doing at Acle!!!

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering what the purpose of that buoy was. 

• 2 weeks later...