Hosepipe ban WILL hurt boaters

MY littleboat

After speaking at length with Anglian Water today, it appears that the hosepipe ban won't just make washing your boat illegal - with a possible £1000 fine - if you use the boat for recreational purposes, you won't be able to draw water through a pipe in order to fill your water tank. - their wording is Drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic or recreational use

I initially thought there may be some leeway, but the person who I spoke to said that 'they could easily enfoce the ban on commercial properties that serve recreational customers as all are regulated via a water meter and especially customers using automatic meters (ie ones that they dont physically have to turn up and read)

This hosepipe ban is not like 20 years ago - this time they have the technology to see who is flouting it, so unlike some optimists who believe this isn't the case, I have it from the horses mouth!

Dark days ahead.

By the way - if you use your vessel as your primary residence, then you are not required to comply with the ban... maybe I will 'move into' the boat for the summer.. I guess it will mean that public water points on the Broads will have their hoses removed though.

And if you read their wording carefully it only says "Cleaning a private leisure boat using a hosepipe".

In my mind their further statement "Drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use" does not apply to us filling drinking water tanks...

So it's easy...........Use public showers! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

"Anglian Water announced today that a full hosepipe ban will come into force on April 5th. The company – one of seven implementing a ban to it’s domestic customers, will mean that as well as irrigating a garden, washing a car or boat will become illegal too. In addition to this it has been confirmed that the filling of any boats’ water tank - if used for ‘recreational purposes’ – will also become an offence under the introduction of these emergency powers."

That was from http://eastcoastboating.co.uk/wordpress/?p=1282 , an article headed "East Coast & Broads Boaters May Suffer Under Hosepipe Ban".

Admittedly, there is an element of hearsay in there, but it doesn't look too good.

A Google search http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_nf=1& ... 34&bih=727

throws up lots of confusion on the subject as well, with previous hosepipe bans from other water companies.

Yes to note, alot of the Broads are covered by Suffolk and Essex water who have no ban - although some people near to Beccles fall under AW... lucky people!

I have written to the head of AW media unit to get clarification on the mixed messages given yesterday - not least the rewording of the crucial ''Drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic or recreational use'' to just ''Drawing water, using a hosepipe, for domestic recreational use'' about 20 minutes after the announcement was made. It seems all the companies acted en-bloc and the media plugs were a bit of a fast-ball.

Getting through to the media centre yesterday was a nightmare and we were given the quote by someone more happy to talk about how good their enforcement was!

Given that there is a chance that this guy was talking out of his hoop - I included his details in my email to Ciaran Nelson, and therefore if it transpires that it wasn't correct then I am sure he will receive immediate 're-training' of the appropriate manner!

In the meanwhile I can only go by what was told yesterday, although as has been pointed out elsewhere, a boat tank can be classed as 'potable water' which comes under completely different legislation. Whether this will mean that over officious marinas will use this as an excuse to turn off water supplies or not will remain to be seen!

I await the reply from AW

ANglian Water's responses to questions:

When can a boat be washed? - We asked if the washing of a boat would be allowed under the circumstances of a boat returning from sea in order to remove salt etc from screens and decks. In reponse it was deemed this may be allowed as this may cause a Health and Safety hazard, especially if it prevented clear view from the screens or made the decks unsafe for working. This may also apply to a build up of mould or similar type growth. These are points that have still to be clarified and for that reason a consultation period is now in place which will run for the next three weeks. It would not be permissable however, to wash the boat for the purpose of valeting. If you got an outside agency to wash the vessel, who offered washing as a professional service in the daily running of their business, they would be un-affected by the legislation and therefore will be allowed to use a hose.

Can a boat user legally fill a water tank? - Despite being given contradictory information previously, Anglian Water have confirmed that they have no wish to stop boat users filling their domestic water tanks and will be happy for them to do so. This information will now be communicated throughout the company.

Will marinas be asked to remove hoses? - If the hose placement serves both washing and filling of water tanks, then marinas will be specifically asked to disuade boat owners from casually washing their boats as this will be an offence under the legislation, but because a hose may be used for filling water tanks also there will be no requirement to remove those already in place. Similarly, marinas will not be required to restrict water points. Again exact clarifications will be made following the consultation process.

The consultation process has been put into place where individuals and umbrella organisations such as the RYA are invited to submit their concerns. The process starts today and will run for the next three weeks.

Consultation process information: http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/environme ... 7CA85.aspx

I too have emailed them to clarify the points stated. It is utter tosh to say we cannot get water for essential use.

I think your post should be amended to read " Hosepipe Ban and Boaters." To state that it will hurt boaters is blatently incorrect.

I too have emailed them to clarify the points stated. It is utter tosh to say we cannot get water for essential use.

I think your post should be amended to read " Hosepipe Ban and Boaters." To state that it will hurt boaters is blatently incorrect.

Absolutely not - yesterday I was given a statement by Anglian water saying exactly that - unfortunately as has been explained today many staff were not given the full details of the consultation period and how it will work. After my calls today, the three members of the media centre staff had to find further clarifications themselves before we could publish our updates.

'Utter tosh' may be your personal opinion - and mine also, but facts are facts and when a representative of the company said that not being able to fill water tanks in recreational vessels was the case, we had every right to publish that information.

The fact is - until the consultation period is over (three weeks from now) a number of options will not be clarified, however, I am glad to say that they now see no reason why boats cannot filll tanks for domestic use. As has also been mentioned, hire boats, being commercially operated, will be totally exempt from this legislation anyway. Hope this clears it up for you.

You know if there is a hosepipe ban you have to use a watering can ... instead of using a hose to fill up the water tank on the boat can you use a large container :)

Some of you may be aware of the upcoming hosepipe ban in our area.

The hosepipe ban will come into effect on 5th April.

How this will effect the marina

You will still be able to fill your water tanks

You will not be able to use hose pipes or pressure washers to clean your boats

You will still be able to use buckets of water for cleaning

Check out the Anglian Water website for more info

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/environme ... 2FE1E519CE

I received this email yesterday from our marina

cheers

Some of you may be aware of the upcoming hosepipe ban in our area.

The hosepipe ban will come into effect on 5th April.

How this will effect the marina

You will still be able to fill your water tanks

You will not be able to use hose pipes or pressure washers to clean your boats Unless it's for a Health & Safety reason or you use river water

You will still be able to use buckets of water for cleaning

I received this email yesterday from our marina

cheers

Jim others have corresponded directly with AW and received replies which indicate you may use a hosepipe to remove salt from decks and windows if it represents a H&S problem.

Your link above says "No, only mains fed supplies are in scope of the ban". ie you can use river water in a pressure washer

So it's not all doom and gloom! :clap:clap

Thanks John,

I hadn't looked at the link and simply C an P'd the body of the email. I like your idea of the river water pump although there could well be "unmentionable materials" in the marina water including some oil lol.

Hi Jim

Mine stops I believe anything 6mm or above. It is very effective but a B***er to clean if clogged with weed. No filter just restricted size inlets. Secure at a depth just below the surface.

James