Potter Heigham Regatta 1930s film

AdnamsGirl

I've kindly been given permission to upload a short film of the Potter Heigham Regatta, filmed in the 1930s by an amateur cine photographer, to YouTube via my channel. Also included is film of the swing bridge near to Lowestoft harbour, presumably filmed during the same visit to the area. It's a great little piece of Broadland's history!

You can read the full story behind the films here: http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/blog/2012/03/potter-heigham-regatta-1930s-film/

I thought you'd enjoy the film Howard! ;)

I think it's quite interesting that it doesn't actually show any yacht racing, but more the general scene of the crowded boats lining the river and some of the other "water frolic" events which took place at regattas back then ..... health and safety would certainly prevent such things today I'm sure! The regattas were big social events that it seems everyone got involved in back then ...... without TV's people needed something to do! :naughty:

The coracle thingies look as though they are cut down barrels to me ..... and the girls in their bathing suits being paraded up and down the river must have been quite risque in the 1930s! :o

I am extremely grateful to Dave Smith (who had the films transferred) for allowing me to put it out there for all to enjoy.

Carol