Massive Fire at Cantley Sugar Factory

MY littleboat

Norfolk Fire Service are reporting that they currently have nine appliances attending a major fire at the Cantley Sugar Factory.

The factory, a prominent feature located next to the Reedcutters public house on the River Yare, reported that they had a fire in a cooling tower just after 1500GMT this afternoon.

The Eastern Daily Press are reporting that 'one appliance from Acle, two appliances and the aerial ladder platform from Great Yarmouth along with crews from Carrow, Earlham and Wymondham are tackling the fire.' and that the fire is now under control.

Seems to have started in the Cooling Tower, wouldnt want to be the company that looks after their cooling !

I concur Brian!

While in Caister last week, I met an electrician who works there as a contractor. There is a section of the plant where it is very hot and not only do they have to work in special PPE, they also are only allowed a max of 30 mins in that area in one session.

It takes 10 mins to access that area, 10 mins of work time, and another 10 to get out again. I wouldn't want to be on a price on breakdowns there :naughty: