Tolls on line

petersjoy

Thought i'd just pay my Toll on line today.

Ha, managed to register after about 4 attempts at putting my details in (as they have them).

Now i have to wait for a PIN to be sent by post :o Old fashioned technology.

Why not send by Email and save the costs of paper envelopes postage ect.

So now i can't pay till i get my PIN through the post :evil:

two guns BA

Now i have to wait for a PIN to be sent by post :o Old fashioned technology.

Why not send by Email and save the costs of paper envelopes postage etc.

Because it's a very good security measure. It's the only cheap way they can be sure that the online application is genuinely from the (already registered) toll payer that lives at that postal address. Once the code number is entered on line, the user gets full access to all online facilities.

Most people have reported that they got the confirmation by return of post, like Matt, and mine did too. :)

Because it's a very good security measure. It's the only cheap way they can be sure that the online application is genuinely from the (already registered) toll payer that lives at that postal address.

I must be missing something here! If somebody else wishes to pay my Toll for me, they are welcome to. cheers

DVLA send a code no. with the reminder so it's the same thing.

and the Inland Revenue ran a postal confirmation through me when I started online tax returns....

As I understand it, this pin will allow you to pay next year also.

I don't know with the BA using tinternet, maybe the A47 will be made into the M47!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second thoughts even more people may discover the secret world, then and the Yare will have to be dualled.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo! who's a lucky boy then, 10 minutes ago I opened the envelope with some paperwork that came with the boat we bought Saturday, and what do I find, the River toll has been paid for next year! I was going to apply for it today but had to pop out so forgot to do it, I wonder if they would have told me it was already paid, I'm really starting to love Crackers, that saved me £231.74, I wonder if next year they will just let me pay for the 25ft bit of water my boat sits on, at £231.74 I want my own personal Broad to use,,

Regards Frank,,,,,

Never registered a new car or transferred a cherished plate then then eh? the process is far more complex. I do realise that if the BA sent you a cheque for £100 you would probably complain that it wasn't £200 but this IS a good thing and will make future toll renewal simpler.

Never registered a new car or transferred a cherished plate then then eh? the process is far more complex. I do realise that if the BA sent you a cheque for £100 you would probably complain that it wasn't £200 but this IS a good thing and will make future toll renewal simpler.

But I'm NOT registering a new car or even a new boat - or transferring an 'old' one. They already have all my details, same as the DVLA regarding any currently owned car.

I do not deny that it's a good thing, I simply point out that it could have been done more simply, and less costly in office manpower - perhaps therein lies the problem :(

The crucial point is still being overlooked.

Yes, the DVLA and the BA have all of the owners details already, except (usually) their current email address.

When they receive an Internet communication from an unverified source, it could be anyone.

They have to somehow tie that online user to the existing (paper based) owner, hence the now common practice of sending a confirmation code number or coded html link by post to the registered owner.