A Change From Pasties And Cream Teas

We usually have a week away in June and generally end up in Cornwall.  However, from where we now live to our favoured holiday park near The Lizard involves a journey of almost 400 miles each way.  It had been our intention to hire a motorhome and travel the NC500, however it seems that following the pandemic and vast increase in popularity of motorhomes, camper vans and caravans, they are currently not very popular with the locals along the route.

I spent a couple of evenings scrutinising the Hoseasons website (sorry) and eventually booked a caravan on a site in South West Scotland.  It looked great in the pictures, on the coast and with a private, dog friendly beach.  Moreover, according to Google Maps, it was a mere 326 miles from home.  Bonus!

It seems strange preparing to go on holiday anywhere other than on our boat.  We have so much ‘stuff’ on board that we don’t have to think about taking, that going anywhere else involves printing multiple lists to ensure nothing gets forgotten!  With lists printed and ‘stuff’ assembled, I loaded the the wife’s recently acquired car on the evening prior to leaving to save time in the morning and we left home on a grey, cloudy Saturday morning (the first day of meteorological summer) at  about 07:30.  Did I really say summer 🤦‍♂️?

The journey across the A47 and A17 to Newark is not my favourite, but once on the A1, progress was good.  We stopped near Pontefract for a coffee and bacon roll from Greggs at a small service area, before continuing the journey.  As we neared the junction with the A66, the weather brightened up.  Sunshine . . . . . . . . . . a pleasant surprise and the drive across to the M6 turned out to be very pleasant indeed.  I hadn’t been across there for years and had forgotten what a cracking drive it is, through some wonderful scenery.

Soon we were on the M6 and time for another stop.  Greggs again, for a slice of pizza, fresh out of the oven and another coffee.  Deb took the dog for a short wander to do what dogs do and we set off again.  We passed the sign welcoming us to Scotland and we turned off onto the A75, still in some welcome sunshine.

I’d checked on Google for the nearest supermarket to the park and it was in Kirkcudbright, so we headed there and found Tesco.  It’s quite possibly the smallest Tesco I’ve ever been in, but having been despatched to get food for a couple of days, by the wife who’d given me a helpful list, I managed to get enough to last until Monday when we could do another shop.  Returning to the car, I noticed that I’d had a phone call whilst shopping, which I hadn’t heard.  The caller had left a voicemail fortunately and it turned out it was the holiday park reception calling to say that our accommodation was ready ahead of the published time and to turn up when we liked.  Happy days!

We were soon entering to park to discover whether it was as good as it appeared on the website and I’m happy to report that it was.  I was greeted by a very friendly lady in reception, where I collected the key, who gave me a map showing where the caravan could be found.  It’s fair to say that we’ve been in a lot of caravan holiday homes over the years, some better than others and as dog owners, we are used to having older, less comfortable units, but this was a welcome surprise.  Modern, well equipped and comfortably furnished, with decking, a Cadac gas barbecue, patio furniture and located amongst trees.  We were impressed.  There was also a hand written welcome card, a pack of locally made biscuits and a welcome pack for the dog, including a towel, some biscuits and poo bags.

To be continued.

IMG_2035.thumb.jpeg.07ca1ca0610fc27b7236d2d783e6be54.jpeg

IMG_2034.thumb.jpeg.da237f769d20b8915dbf17c47867dc08.jpeg

IMG_2045.thumb.jpeg.dc36091023a707678a7ec16dc87bb779.jpeg

IMG_2036.thumb.jpeg.129928eee5b23245d555d6b807397429.jpeg

IMG_2046.thumb.jpeg.ac693a36b823816219bcd9f62eccaddb.jpeg

IMG_2048.thumb.jpeg.91e0134bb031424b3bbb9e438cf97ebc.jpeg

IMG_2047(1).thumb.jpeg.30c2d5505f7646970e1afc18aa373e40.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Love 1

After we’d unloaded the car and stowed our things away, we had a refreshing cuppa before heading down to the beach.  Harley, our ageing Staffie, loves going on the beach.  I guess she can smell the sea, but much to her disappointment, the tide was out . . . . . . . . . . . not just out, but waaaay out.  It was apparent that when the tide goes out in Airds Bay, it’s very definitely out!  Nevertheless, it was quite a nice beach and wasn’t at all busy.

IMG_2051.thumb.jpeg.7e2412d16b73941576a5e858cdea58e4.jpeg

IMG_2053.thumb.jpeg.187b6997d8b6443b759ca5a5b92813f0.jpeg

We walked a fair way out,  it still didn't reach the water.  I checked my Willy Weather app and the tide had just started to come in, so we wandered back to our van for dinner.  We passed a luxurious looking mobile home/lodge, sitting on a pitch with a sea view.  I took a photo of the price that was advertised on the French doors, including the site fees.  I don’t feel so bad about the annual costs of maintaining the boat after seeing those figures!

IMG_2056.thumb.jpeg.4f758732dde7f92cc2c47227d441c1b9.jpeg

I’d bought some pork steaks in a barbecue sauce, so we had those with some salad and Jersey Royals for dinner.  It had been a reasonably long drive and we were feeling a bit tired, but as the sun began to set, returned to the beach.  This time, I took my camera and grabbed a few photos.  I’m pleased I did, as the weather deteriorated through the week and although it wasn’t a spectacular sunset, it was the best we had!  The tide had come in far enough for the dog to have a paddle.  She was happy!

IMG_2059.thumb.jpeg.246f1421540a88592f08342f56157bf1.jpeg

IMG_2067.thumb.jpeg.87ef26bf84ba16badb1693e5fd8b3ac0.jpeg

DSCF3539.thumb.jpeg.e10725c1dd26594c5c9fbe73ae35d400.jpeg

IMG_2071.thumb.jpeg.98dc891ab1d40c25296be69b4c4b5bf3.jpeg

We returned back to our van for a hot drink and bed.  It was still quite light when we drew the curtains at 22:00.  Somewhat tired after the drive, I was soon asleep!

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Oooo very interested in this. I am currently scouting around for a holiday in Scotland next year for a couple of reasons. I love a good caravan or a lodge. Those site fees are similar to what we paid when we owned a static caravan on a site in Lowestoft. Plus all the other bits and pieces. Big difference to a boat was not having mechanical things to look after or so much maintenance other than cleaning.

• Like 3

We woke on Sunday to a bright, but cloudy morning.  Deb got ready and took Harley for her walk on the beach.  When they returned and the dog had her breakfast, got ready and cooked a full English for us.  We usually just have toast, but just occasionally we treat ourselves.  Very enjoyable it was, too!

We gathered a few bits together to load into the car and set off for a ride.  We intended to see a few sights in the area, so we headed for Loch Ken.  The roads were very quiet, surprisingly so, but I guess that they’ll be busier from the beginning of July, when the Scottish school holidays start.

I found a lay-by with access to the loch and took a few pictures before setting off and arriving at a little town called New Galloway, where there was a cafe.  Both still full of breakfast, we just had a coffee.  Just a few doors away was a little shop that had been visited by The Hairy Bikers during their last series.  Air dried pasta made from a mix of wheat and oat flour is made there, but it was closed.  I’ve checked their website and since the programme was aired, the team of three that run the business are inundated with orders and can’t keep up with demand!

DSCF3546.thumb.jpeg.08130c2581ccf09ca27f2e63d90654ae.jpeg

DSCF3547.thumb.jpeg.6482b957f381d49152ee3e73bfb1ca44.jpeg

We had a slow drive back towards the holiday park, diverting into the nearby Cream O’Galloway, which is a farm near the site, where they make cheese and ice cream.  Couldn’t resist a decent ice cream and it was very good ice cream.  Again, for a Sunday, it was really quiet.  The tourist season clearly hadn’t got underway yet.

Back at the caravan, we had a quiet rest of the afternoon, making use of the patio furniture on the decking.  Deb was working on a cross stitch that had been underway for some time and I had a new crossword book to tackle.  We both took Harley to the beach for her walk before I cooked dinner of steak and chips, with mushrooms and peas.

We watched TV for a while before retiring, but it wasn’t long before I was feeling quite ill and spent an hour in the loo.  I’ll refrain from further details, but safe to say that I was feeling quite fragile afterwards.

• Like 3

I wasn’t feeling much better on Monday morning.  Deb got ready as usual and walked the dog, before having breakfast.  I passed on that - even the thought of dry toast was turning my stomach.

We had a quiet morning, but had to venture out later to get some supplies.  Kirkudbright was the closest ‘reasonable’ size supermarket, although there is a Spar in the nearby Gatehouse of Fleet.  I drove, but sat in the car whilst Deb did the shopping.  I’d requested a piece of smoked cod or haddock for dinner, that I could have poached.  I needed to eat something and that seemed fairly innocuous.

She returned with necessary supplies and we drove back to the van.  The weather was fairly miserable, so we sat inside, Deb sewing and I read and might have had a nap!  Much to our amazement, the weather brightened up during the afternoon, with broken clouds and a sight of the sun, but it was unseasonably cool.  I went down to the beach with Deb and the dog.  I was feeling a bit more like it by then, although still a bit fragile.

IMG_2086.thumb.jpeg.9722aabe2ecf16521a8ec07132265c4e.jpeg

IMG_2090.thumb.jpeg.5de89ce26d8a8e6810998bb718cc5db8.jpeg

IMG_2089.thumb.jpeg.a561e542c27485503e2ebb3931ec5e5c.jpeg

IMG_2094.thumb.jpeg.2220f2b004698b00ad41a592526a0e7b.jpeg

IMG_2096.thumb.jpeg.dd461eca6cbc9349d76447e6bd3ce19f.jpeg

The tide was out, but Harley found a puddle to lay in, in the absence of seawater!  We returned to the caravan and had dinner around 19:00.  I had a piece of smoked haddock and a slice of dry bread, which stayed down!  Maybe it had just been one of those things the previous night.

• Like 6

What an interesting post. Thank you. Our experience of Scotland is very scant. Just a flight to Edinburgh for a long weekend and an overnight train trip( through fabulous scenery) to view a boat just outside Fort William. Both many many nears ago. I must say  the caravan looks superb. Hope you enjoy the  rest of your stay and look forward to reading more about it .

Carole

After a better night than the previous one, we woke to a dismal start to Tuesday.  Deb braved the showers and took Harley for her walk.  I was feeling a lot better, so had some lightly buttered toast for breakfast.

We had a fairly relaxing morning, watching the rainfall.  There was a fairly strong wind developing too and at times the rain appeared not be falling, but blown horizontally past the caravan.  Deb was busy with her cross stitch, even threatening to finish it before we went home!  I read and did I a few crosswords.

The rain had stopped by lunchtime, but heavy showers had taken over and the wind persisted.  I was feeling restless, wanting to see more of the new to us area we were staying in, so I had a look at the map and saw a likely looking destination at the other side of the small estuary the park is situated on, called The Big Water of Fleet.  It wasn’t far, so we collected a few bits before setting off.

The road to the caravan park is single track, with passing places and some deep potholes.  We made our way back to the A75 and turned left, heading in the direction of Newton Stewart.  It wasn’t long before we found the turning on the left that I was looking for.  Another single track road, this time accessed over a cattle grid.  It looked as if we were actually driving through the middle of a farm yard, but we carried on to the small car park at the end of the road and parked the car at Mossyard.

There was an honesty box there, with a request for a donation of £4 for all day parking.  Fortunately, we had some change and obliged.  I don’t mind paying a reasonable amount and I thought that was very reasonable.  B6 now, the sun was out, but the wind was still blowing strongly.  We walked through the gap in the hedgerow onto a wonderful golden beach, that was almost deserted.  The tide was going out and it was equally extensive as the beach at the caravan park on the opposite side of the estuary.  We had a walk along the beach for a while, but in the end we were defeated by the wind, that was drying the sand quickly and blasting it at us as we walked, which was quite uncomfortable.

DSCF3566.thumb.jpeg.ddef041128f104fb1788bb9e9baf233c.jpeg

IMG_2110.thumb.jpeg.1120f9bc5f6bc23885838b60591d3a14.jpeg

DSCF3553.thumb.jpeg.5c87b30cbe170e1e45b9de559658bb22.jpeg

DSCF3556.thumb.jpeg.fe8111e28843e42ab92482b8f1af5caf.jpeg

IMG_2121.thumb.jpeg.5e5e9dec5215991a6c9f3c3aeac4aade.jpeg

IMG_2109.thumb.jpeg.0e41fe0d95a901ceacacb01fd19535b8.jpeg

DSCF3562.thumb.jpeg.bc53f5fba29710042bba024d8063528d.jpeg

DSCF3558.thumb.jpeg.43bcd1b7b4f94ad242674c79e37357e2.jpeg
I took a few photos and we retraced our steps back to the car and made our way back to the A75.  We headed back towards our accommodation, but turned into Gatehouse of Fleet, the nearest town to the caravan park and parked in the free car park in the centre, before having a look round.  It’s quite a pleasant little town, built on either side of the Water of Fleet and apparently was quite a thriving place in the past.  We had a walk along the Main Street and back and like everywhere else we visited, it was very quiet.

DSCF3574.thumb.jpeg.1299f30aa59fc2a37947081222c42fb8.jpeg

DSCF3578.thumb.jpeg.d68a83ed605f61338c7d7ca4b2336cdf.jpeg

DSCF3583.thumb.jpeg.9af9d63ffb0a9c76b4e576320a135dfd.jpeg

DSCF3586.thumb.jpeg.1e15a0dda33432fc99b89300c2b1b47c.jpeg

It started to rain again, in fact in the last photo and despite the blue sky, it was actually throwing it down, so we returned to the car and went back to the caravan.  It had been a pleasant afternoon and I was pleased that we’d at least managed to get out and explore a little.  Dinner that evening was the other piece of haddock, poached again, but this time with potatoes and broccoli!  Deb had some marinated chicken pieces that she’d bought from Tesco with some salad.

I went to bed later feeling a lot better than the previous evening and was looking forward to getting out again the following day.

• Like 5

It was no real surprise to wake up to the sound of rain pattering on the roof on Wednesday.  Aside from a trip to Kirkudbright to get more supplies, we had nothing planned.  After breakfast, we just relaxed, once again Deb was working on her cross stitch and I read.  Although there was a tv in the van, neither of us had any inclination to watch it, preferring just to enjoy the peace.

Although the caravan park is quite large, with probably about 150 units, there are only about 6 or 7 available for rental, with the remainder privately owned, so during the week and outside of the main holiday season, it was really quiet.  There were a few private vans occupied, but not many.  It had been busier over the weekend, but there had been an exodus on Sunday evening, with the weekend visitors making for home.

Just before lunchtime the wife gave me a nudge to show me her cross stitch, which she’d just finished.  It has been much travelled.  I’m fairly certain that she started it when we last went to France in 2018, but it’s been to Cornwall at least four times and to the boat on many occasions.  To be fair, she only does it on holiday, or weekends away, but even to my untrained eye, it does look good.  I’ll have to find somewhere to get it framed now!

IMG_2125.thumb.jpeg.5bfc588c80b123dc534ae8592dad34bd.jpeg

After lunch, we had a drive out to Castle Douglas, where we bought enough for the remaining three evening meals and a couple of lunches.  The weather was poor, so we didn't explore, just headed back to the park, via Cream O’Galloway where the temptation of a tasty ice cream treat proved too much to resist.

Back at the park, we took advantage of a break in the clouds to take Harley for a walk on the beach.  It wasn’t long before it was hammering down again though and we were pleased to be back in the centrally heated, double glazed caravan.  So much for flaming June!

IMG_2129.thumb.jpeg.90924448eae2da1e342e7999b837c50e.jpeg

IMG_2134.thumb.jpeg.467aa92677e958cfd5f21abb9c52ccd2.jpeg

IMG_2139.thumb.jpeg.c4c5c2fd400bd37411b3c5b76fd76aca.jpeg

IMG_2136.thumb.jpeg.857ae39a3b8065ab1f98ea68f2b7237c.jpeg

IMG_2135.thumb.jpeg.43e10f664ae356ab0fb1a40ae65cbec6.jpeg

IMG_2141(1).thumb.jpeg.db77ee6294d92133a2611aa19c270942.jpeg

We had quiche and salad for dinner, with Jersey Royals and imagined it was actually summer(!). Deb has been watching a rerun of a tv series called Bletchley Circle on some Freeview channel, so she watched that and I did a crossword or two before retiring for the night.

• Like 7

That's a wonderful cross stitch. Well done Debbie!

I've had a hankering to visit that part of Scotland ever since I read 'Five red herrings' a novel by Dorothy L Sayers. It's one of my favourites. The plot is based in the area around Gatehouse of Fleet among a community of the local artists. One of their number is found dead, apparently in an accident whilst out painting a landscape, but he was a nasty character and it turns out he was murdered. Given he was such an argumentative so-and-so, naturally several of his fellow artists have motives. It's an entertaining book. That would have been a good read whilst you were there Malcolm. 

• Thanks 1

And from me too, congratulations on ghd cross stitch Deb. It’s beautiful. 
And glad to hear your bout of whatever was fairly short lived Mouldy. It’s not funny being ill like that. 
Your photos show some wonderful scenery. Scotlands a funny place I find. Apart from the big towns and cities, you think you’re going somewhere with something about it ‘cos of its name and position on a map, looking like it’s the gathering/commercial centre for the local area and then you get there to find it’s still very small. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, kpnut said:

And glad to hear your bout of whatever was fairly short lived Mouldy. It’s not funny being ill like that. 

Thanks Kate.  I went down with campylobacter one year on holiday in Cornwall.  I can honestly say that it was extremely unpleasant and I lost almost a stone and a half in five days.  I fear contracting it again and the way I initially felt on Sunday night was very reminiscent of how I felt back in Cornwall that year.  Fortunately, whatever it was, passed quickly - perhaps not the most appropriate choice of words, but you know what I mean!

• Like 1

We woke on Thursday to another dull, grey morning . . . and it was cold.  I’d mistakenly thought it was summer and changed the heating to come on later.  What a mistake that was.  It turned out that the overnight low had been a chilly 5 degrees C.  I rolled over and went back to sleep for a while until the central heating had warmed the van up a bit.

I think we eventually got up around 07:00.  Deb got ready and took Harley down to the beach, where the tide was inevitably out, whilst I stayed in and looked through the thoughtfully provided folder of ideas of places to visit.  I’d noticed a a turning called Raiders Road Forest Drive when we were out earlier in the week, so looked up the details and Googled it too.  It seemed okay, not too far to go and with something to see, so after breakfast, we loaded some necessary bits and pieces into the car and set off.

Instead of going the direct route, I headed through Gatehouse of Fleet and across an unclassified road through some moorland, where sheep were grazing.  We passed through Darngarroch, although there was nothing there and eventually arrived in Laurieston, where we joined the main road.  It had been a very scenic drive, but on a nice, sunny day, it would have been stunning.

IMG_2145.thumb.jpeg.ad1ac2bc2508aa964639aa21ea5126bb.jpeg

IMG_2144.thumb.jpeg.ee39f6fffa548f79d55462cc50cd90ce.jpeg

It wasn’t long before we came to our destination, so turned off the road onto the forest drive.  There was a charge to drive it, so Deb paid the required £4.50 on a parking app on her phone and we set off.  It was the only time on the holiday when I wished we’d been in Deb’s previous car, a KIA Sportage, as it was rough.  Just a gravel track through the forest with some quite deep ruts.  There were a few places to stop and take photos and aside from the bumpy ride,  it was a lovely place to visit.  The track skirted around Loch Stroan and followed the path of a river (River Dee, but obviously not the famous one) before arriving at a large car park, set amongst the trees, where there were toilets and a picnic area with benches nearby.  A big sign said we’d arrived at Otters Pool.

DSCF3596.thumb.jpeg.80e135a0e9ebd783af99b201214ea1f6.jpeg

DSCF3600.thumb.jpeg.c3e45f74f52a150e6da7f107db1112e8.jpeg

IMG_2151(1).thumb.jpeg.d72ac1b241807addebce2f655b2d81e6.jpeg

IMG_2154(1).thumb.jpeg.496d80f09f94879fa1f1ed47a6be3057.jpeg

IMG_2156(1).thumb.jpeg.46d2b5a4195632bb0722d9d831f3f917.jpeg

DSCF3622.thumb.jpeg.96e73e0537b38d691c2d7b1f03d7109e.jpeg

DSCF3615.thumb.jpeg.f4147f134119079407f5fada5d90269f.jpeg

DSCF3613.thumb.jpeg.0ed302398f7534c0ff3b896caadfd09a.jpeg

We parked the car and had a wander about.  Again, it would have been so much more photogenic had the weather been more clement, but I took a few pictures of some waterfalls there.  Deb made use of the facilities before we moved on again and continued on the forest drive, event reaching civilisation and a proper road about five miles further on.

We turned right, heading for New Galloway, where we stopped for lunch at the cafe we’d visited on Sunday.  We were grateful that they allowed dogs in one area indoors, as it was too chilly to sit outside to eat.  Deb had a toasted cheese and ham sandwich and I had a ham sandwich with a bowl of tomato and basil soup, with a pot of tea for two!  Freshly prepared, it was tasty and filling.

After lunch, we set off for the caravan park again, taking the slightly extended route through Castle Douglas, principally because I’d missed the turning to cut a corner off.  No matter - it was an enjoyable drive.

Back at the van, we settled down.   Deb read (bemoaning the fact that she’d finished her cross stitch and didn’t have another one with her to start) and I had my crossword book out again.

We took Harley to the beach for her walk around 17:00, where yet more rain was moving in as can be seen in the photos.  The tide was going out, but it hadn’t gone so far that Harley couldn’t have a paddle though.

DSCF3624.thumb.jpeg.7dd400ace0db385f5c5a99ec6fe6fc9d.jpeg

IMG_2164.thumb.jpeg.be31407d136eca846c5e68d47d48fc72.jpeg

DSCF3627.thumb.jpeg.bde7392a95de4e04c1c6588661c86f3a.jpeg

I’d bought a couple of pre cooked, vac-packed lamb shanks from Tesco the previous day, which we enjoyed with broccoli and mash for dinner.  They’re not something I’d usually buy, but I couldn’t face ‘proper’ cooking on holiday.

We watched TV for a while, after we’d washed up and went to bed just after 22:00.

• Like 5

It’s about time I finished my tale.  This retirement malarkey keeps me so busy sometimes, I wonder how I had time to work!

We woke on Friday and it will surely come as no surprise that it was cold, wet and very grey again.  With a fairly long drive home on Saturday, it was always the plan to have a quiet day on Friday, so we readied ourselves and had breakfast.  We’d decided that we liked the site and the area sufficiently to revisit next year, but having holidayed in June in fairly average weather annually since 2021, decided to try September instead.  I waited for a lull in the rainfall and walked along to site reception to make a booking.

I was informed that the van we’d been staying in and two of their other rental ones, were being sold at the end of this season, as their policy was to only have them for hire for two years from new.  I was given the locations for what would be available next year and went to investigate before going back to the van.

We needed a couple of things from Tesco, so had to go to Kirkudbright.  On the way out of the site, I showed the available locations to Deb and we agreed which one suited best.  Whilst in Kirkudbright, I topped up the diesel in the car, ready for the journey home.

Back at the caravan park, I revisited the reception and made a booking for the desired caravan for September 2025, paying a nominal deposit to secure the dates.  We had a quiet afternoon, did some packing, walked the dog and had dinner.  Deb was still bemoaning the fact that she’d finished her sewing and had nothing to do, so read instead and I watched a sorry display by the English football team, who were taught a pre Euros lesson by the mighty Iceland.  Before going to bed, I looked outside and we were having a glorious sunset!

IMG_2176.thumb.jpeg.ce2efee8e828a54adae3ea5852ce0cc4.jpeg

It was an early start on Saturday and (you’ve guessed it) we woke to a beautiful, blue sky, with just a few puffy clouds.  Deb got ready and walked Harley whilst I showered.  We had some breakfast, loaded the car, tidied the caravan through, before checking under the beds and in all of the cupboards (as you do) and locking the door for the last time.  It had been a very comfortable caravan for our stay, even though the weather had not been kind, but we’d had a rest and seen some new sights.  I dropped the key back in reception before pulling out of the gate at 09:15.

IMG_2183(2).thumb.jpeg.d6333f51ea2bd195c38e5fa7aaae0b1f.jpeg

We had a good journey home, with just one hold up near Pontefract, using the A75, M6, A66, A1, A17 and A47, stopping at Leeming Bar for lunch and near Fosdyke for a coffee.  After a brief stop at Swaffham, to go to Boots for some Hydrocortisone cream for the insect bites I’d suffered, we arrived home around 16:30.  I’d been driving at the appropriate speed limit for the journey and was pleased to see that Deb’s new car was proving to be very good on fuel, too, recording over 58mpg.

IMG_2185.thumb.jpeg.25517d32ec12c966d011a54281cb1165.jpeg

We’ll be back on Norfolk Lady for a couple of weeks soon.  Just hope that summer starts before we go.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

to go to Boots for some Hydrocortisone cream for the insect bites I’d suffered,

You need to take some Avon 'Skin So Soft' dry oil with you when you go back to Scotland. When we last visited Scotland I read up on what to use to keep the midges at bay, and that was recommended, as was 'Smidge'. Both work, but the Skin So Soft is cheaper, at least it was when I last bought some. I use the Skin So Soft in Norfolk too. I seems to keep the mozzies and horseflies away too. 

• Thanks 1

Enjoyed your tale Malcolm.

We had 2 separate weeks in different cottages in that area the year before last and loved it.

It was just after we lost our mam and exactly what we needed.

first week was in early June and the weather was stunning ( we stayed at Sorbie which is a bit further on from where you were)

Second week was at the end of October at Borgue which is just across the bridge from Kircudbright (weather was about what you’d expect at that time of year but enjoyable all the same). 

we visited the Red Kite feeding station which is a sight to be seen and well worth a visit with over 100 birds swooping down to feed.

we also visited a number of the places you did.

We didn’t have as far to travel as you being just beside the Angel of the North 

David

• Love 1

If it’s any consolation Malcolm the weather here in Cornwall has been absolutely atrocious these last few weeks apart from one day last week it’s been very wet windy and cold.

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

You need to take some Avon 'Skin So Soft' dry oil with you when you go back to Scotland. When we last visited Scotland I read up on what to use to keep the midges at bay, and that was recommended, as was 'Smidge'. Both work, but the Skin So Soft is cheaper, at least it was when I last bought some. I use the Skin So Soft in Norfolk too. I seems to keep the mozzies and horseflies away too. 

Thank Helen.  We have some Skin So Soft on Norfolk Lady, but I find it incredibly oily and doesn’t seem to rub in.  Maybe it’s because I’m a bloke 🤷‍♂️.  The bugs weren’t so bad around the caravan park.  I was told that because it was so close to the sea, the midges and mozzies kept away due to the salt in the air.  I think most of the damage was done when we were at Otters Falls on the Forest drive.

1 hour ago, deebee29 said:

Enjoyed your tale Malcolm.

We had 2 separate weeks in different cottages in that area the year before last and loved it.

It was just after we lost our mam and exactly what we needed.

first week was in early June and the weather was stunning ( we stayed at Sorbie which is a bit further on from where you were)

Second week was at the end of October at Borgue which is just across the bridge from Kircudbright (weather was about what you’d expect at that time of year but enjoyable all the same). 

we visited the Red Kite feeding station which is a sight to be seen and well worth a visit with over 100 birds swooping down to feed.

we also visited a number of the places you did.

We didn’t have as far to travel as you being just beside the Angel of the North 

David

Thanks David.  Yes, we really liked the area and will look forward to revisiting next year.  The caravan park was excellent, without a doubt the best one we’ve been to in the UK.  The random location of the mobile homes across the site was so different from the usual regimented rows that one usually finds.  We did see Borgue signposted, but didn’t visit this time.  I’m hoping that the weather may be more favourable next year and we can take more places in.

26 minutes ago, snunn said:

If it’s any consolation Malcolm the weather here in Cornwall has been absolutely atrocious these last few weeks apart from one day last week it’s been very wet windy and cold.

It seems fairly general.  It’s not been wonderful here in Norfolk either.  I did miss my pasties though and may be forced to have a weekend near Looe, so I can stock up with my favourites from Sarah’s for the freezer!

2 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Mouldy I thoroughly enjoyed to write up as to being in Scotland. Would you go again?

It was very good Andrew and we’ve already booked to go again next year.

5 hours ago, SwanR said:

Really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for posting. Has Debbie started on a New Cross stitch now?

Hmmmm!  Not started a new one, as such, but found one she started maybe ten years (or more) ago and got fed up with, so put it away.  She’s even more fed up now, as she appears to have lost the threads, but she had found the pattern and picture and has been moaning about the cost of more threads that she needs to buy!  I may not have helped when I suggested that she shouldn’t have put it away half done, but divorce wasn’t mentioned, so I think I got away with it! 😁

Theres a bit of cross stitch left to do and some embroidery to created some details, which should keep her quiet for a while.  I update further when (and if) it’s finished.

IMG_2215.jpeg

IMG_2214.jpeg

• Like 2