To antifoul or not?

Guest SetFair

I've been asked by Viking if we want our new boat antifouled as they know we'll be trailing it on inland waterways only.

The most it will spend in the water at any one time is 3 weeks and on average it'll only be 48 hours.

The antifoul will be applied FOC if we want it but I'm weighing up the pros and cons - if it goes on, I'll have to touch it up as and when but if I leave the hull bare, I can always jet wash the bottom when I get home.

Regardless of whether you trail or not, yes or no? :wave

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Definatly not, antifoul paint goes off in air, i think and as you say a good hose down will do the trick.....hang on what a bout the hosepipe ban :naughty:

:clap:clap:clap Very good Trev.

Seriously though, Trev`s right. Just think about it, OK, they may antifoul it free of charge now, but once antifouled, you`ll have to keep it in the water so it does`nt dry out, and also, once antifouled, you`re commited to antifoul all the time, therefore incurring roughly £250+ every other year. Also, a clean hull will be smoother through the water with less drag, whereas antifouling may have a slightly rougher surface, therefore, no antifouling could mean reduced fuel bills.

I'm 90% with you on the "no antifoul" route. At the back of my mind is the fact that the boat may be in the water all the time in mid 2013 so may just get it antifouled then.

On the other 10% of doubt, what are the downsides of having it antifouled and letting it dry out - flaking, lack of antifouling properties etc.?

As it's quite smalll and new then perhaps you could consider copper bot or similar, no issues with launch time after antifoul (though with the right stuff that need not be an issue) lasts at least ten years and if done from new will probably enhance the resale value as it's also an epoxy barrier. My one regret with Kingfisher is that I allowed myself to be talked out of having it done when she was new. If left in the water for even a month or two you will get problems otherwise, limescale clinging to the viynalester etc. organic fouling is easily removed from a well pollished hull if only for a week or two immersion but much longer and it becomes difficult.

What a good idea David, if you can afford it I would agree it is the way to go, maybe see if Viking are prepared to put something towards it but if they are you have to make sure they prep the hull properly or it will all fall off.

If not then I don't think I would have standard antifoul put on, many broads boats have never seen the stuff even if they are left in for years.