Pub For Wednesday Night

We are afloat next week and are wondering where would be recommended to watch England play in the semi-final next Wednesday (should they get there of course!)?

We had planned on the New Inn at Rockland, but apparently it's closed!

We are going to The Ship at Reedham on Saturday for the quarter final after picking up Sunshine from Pacific at Loddon.

We watched the 2018 semi at The Compleat Angler in Norwich, but it was a bit rowdy with, shall we say, some "inappropriate behaviour" from some of the younger customers!

Anywhere maybe a bit quieter in Norwich, or somewhere in Beccles perhaps?

Obviously mooring required as well.

Any advice gratefully received!

• Like 1

The White Heron at Brundall, The Reedcutters at Cantley are potentials.  Not sure that The Dukes Head at Somerleyton have a TV now.  I believe they’re more of a gastro pub.  There are a few pubs in Beccles or maybe Oulton Broad.

Based on recent performances, are you being a little optimistic?

• Like 2

I suggest that there is absolutely NO optimism at all.

The reason is so that they can all learn how to do the job properly!!!!!!!!!!! and not stand in front of the goal hoping the ball will bounce off them and finish up in the goal.

SWMBO has just told me to remove the lump from in my cheek so I will be able to eat my meal

Jeff 

• Like 2

Thanks all, we are having Sunday Lunch at the Dukes Head so probably won't want to go twice in a week (good though it is).

Brundall may be a good choice as we've never been there, managed to miss it on our previous 6 visits to the broads!

Plenty of yards to moor at if the public one is full too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

The White Heron has moorings right next to the pub, a seperate eating area for those not into the football and the noisy supporters will be in The Ram.

Thanks OBB - that's looking promising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tigerhawk said:

Thanks all, we are having Sunday Lunch at the Dukes Head so probably won't want to go twice in a week (good though it is).

Brundall may be a good choice as we've never been there, managed to miss it on our previous 6 visits to the broads!

Plenty of yards to moor at if the public one is full too.

The White Heron does have moorings available.  I believe they charge for them though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Isnt there a meal deal on morring there overnight?

I was in there a couple of weeks ago and met with someone who was moored there.  He said that although he was eating there, there would be a charge of £10 for overnight mooring.

Maybe it depends on who you talk to there!

1 hour ago, Norfolkangler said:

Don't take this a gospel but I was under the impression that the White Heron was now more of cocktail bar type of place. Happy to be proven wrong though.

It’s certainly not a cocktail bar.  Don’t know where you heard that rumour, but it was ill founded.  It has changed a bit to be fair.  Your shoes no longer stick to the carpet and there’s no table straining under the weight of paperwork by the door to the loos.

Bonus! 😉

• Like 1

I rang the White Heron yesterday and strangely I was told that I couldn’t book a mooring as they couldn’t guarantee it would  be available.

That was a bit at odds with their entry on the Visit the Broads app and also their advert on the back page of the Broadcaster! 

I think we’ll just go to Beccles. Plenty of moorings and a few pubs to choose from! 

• Like 2