hire craft fuel

olddock61

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

When you hire a boat, you pay for fuel. It may depend on how the individual yard sets out their charges. If they advertise a full tank, then legally, that`s what they MUST supply, and you have every legal rite to ask them to check it for you before you start. However, if they advertise you pay a fuel deposit, then i think (though i`m not 100% sure) they can put in as much as they like, and re-imburse you for fuel not used, or make an extra charge when you return, should you use more than you`ve payed for. Whatever happens, you are legally entitled to know exactly how they make their charges, and to ask them to prove how much is in the tank so you will know what you`re going to pay at the end of your holiday.

There is a sneaky way of getting a bigger re-fund at the end of your holiday, and that is to find out what your hire yard charge per litre, then during the latter part of your cruise, find a commercial yard such as "Goodchilds" at Burgh Castle, where their charges are possibly much less than your home hire yard and fill the tanks to the original limit, and when you get back, get the re-fund at the higher rate :naughty::naughty::naughty: . ANY saving is worth making ;););) .

There is a sneaky way of getting a bigger re-fund at the end of your holiday, and that is to find out what your hire yard charge per litre, then during the latter part of your cruise, find a commercial yard such as "Goodchilds" at Burgh Castle, where their charges are possibly much less than your home hire yard and fill the tanks to the original limit, and when you get back, get the re-fund at the higher rate :naughty::naughty::naughty: . ANY saving is worth making ;););) .

And Swancraft castigated me for doing this a few years back - what do they expect a clued up hirer to do?

Well said Bill :clap .

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

And Swancraft castigated me for doing this a few years back - what do they expect a clued up hirer to do?

Well said Bill :clap .

I have to say Set Fair, i`ve heard of it, but never knew anybody who actually did it. You`re a star :clap:clap:clap .

At richardsons, the boats are fuelled to the top before your holiday.

The first hirer of that boat will set off with a full tank, lets say they pay a fuel deposit of £100, when they return to the yard, the boat is filled up again to see how much they used, so lets say that on return the boat was filled to the top and it took £85 to do so, the hireer would get £15.00 back, the next hirer would then set of with a full tank. On the return of the second hirer the boat would be filled again to see how much they used, if it takes £110 to fill the tank, they would pay the extra £10. So you can see that every subsequent hirer would set off with a full tank, as the boat will be topped to the top to see how much the previous hirer had used.

I hope that makes sense.

6 sleeps to :Stinky

quite agree this is how it should work but other yards are taking the micky by saying that more fuel has been used, With the decline of the old dipstick because of pollution /health and safety {bull}it now seems the larger yards are not providing full tanks :

quite agree this is how it should work but other yards are taking the micky by saying that more fuel has been used, With the decline of the old dipstick because of pollution /health and safety {bull}it now seems the larger yards are not providing full tanks :

Oldcock, Hi, and belated welcome to the .Net!

I don't think anyone has suggested thgt the larger yards aren't providing full tanks, just that they seem keen that you only use their fuel... even this isn't a foregone.

If you hired a car, van or truck it would only make sense to fill it up at the cheapest garage before you returned it! That's the point being made.

Before they sold out to developers Topcraft did, in fact, have dipsticks attached to their fuel caps; so there was never a problem of how much fuel was onboard. It will be interesting to see if they're still there!

Both SallyB and Friday Girl do carry and use them!

post-508-136713896623_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the welcome great to be on board

being an ex hgv driver of 40 years working in europe we always filled up in europe because it was a lot cheaper

after many a year cruising the broads which to me is heaven when boatyards gave you respect which now seems to have gone

the sad side of the matter is the down fall of certain boat yards sending out craft that are not topped up with fuel,

Couldn't agree more with you Geoff .... we & the VIP's have had excellent service from richardsons .... same went for Herbert woods until in changed hands

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I know Maffett Cruisers still use dipsticks, and i have to admit, several of the hirers ARE dipsticks :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: . Seriously though, if you`re in ANY doubt whatsoever about the content of fuel BEFORE you start your holiday, ALWAYS ask them to check it in front of you, and make sure you`re happy you understand the graduations on the dipstick. I know what you`re getting at, because of previous posts on this forum have mentioned they have`nt been very far, but the yard has claimed they`ve emtied the tank, so if you ARE concerned, ask them to show you before you set off.

Someone earlier described how Richardson's do the fuel - full tank when you start, refilled when you return and therefore full for the next hirer. This is how many yards do it as there's simply no easy other way.

As for fuel guages, these are pretty pointless unless you use a lot.

We have a guage on Pure Freedom 1 and it barely moves. Most cruisers have at least 150 litres of fuel on board, commonly in thin, long, tall tanks that sit under the decks. 30 litres or so out of one of these is barely discernable on a dipstick, so a guage, it's virtually useless.

We tend not to have dipsticks on the boats any more as contamination was a growing problem, especally if someone put it in the water tank (yes, it's surprisingly common).

• 2 weeks later...
John, I heard that Boulters fuel was now £1.15p pl. as of 2 weeks ago.

When I last topped up 4 weeks ago it was £1.10p. Expect it to rise

with their next tanker delivery though :cry

We've literally just returned from a wonderful week on the Broads, managed to cover just about all of them in the boat we hired from Le Boat, it was an 13.6m Emperor, we used 124 ltrs of fuel, but what shocked me was that they charged us £1.60 per litre, and when I queried the price they just blamed taxation and the rising costs, they did however advise us to write a letter of complaint to head office, as they set the price.

Anybody know what the going rate today is, I may give Goodchilds a ring tomorrow, passed right by there this morning on the way back to Somerlayton, never even thought to check the cost of fuel before we departed last week.

the yard is BARNS BRINKSCRAFT THAT SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM

Wouldn't surprise me, we were talking to a couple who hired a boat from them, the first was so that bad they took it back and got another, they got no instruction either, just there's the keys off you go!

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, we certainly had the Webasto going quite a lot, also the engine to heat the hot water. I've read a little about the 60/40 split for taxation, but have no idea how much it affects the tax and what difference it would therefore make to the price.

The 60/40 split allows 60% fuel for the engine and 40% for heating, the heating side has a much lower duty rate than the engine, it's all to do with the tax/duty payments collected by HMRC.

At this time of year I wonder if the yards are automatically claiming the reduced rate on the 40% and just not passing on the saving.