Newbie Here

Hello there..

I use to go on the broads for holiday in my teens with parents, with buccaneer boats Brundall.. about 3 decades ago... so not  virgin but its been a while!

Now I'm taking my family on the broads from herbert woods with Olympic light in a week time.  Anyone experienced these guys and anyone been on the boat? 

Just some advice if thats ok, boat looks right for our needs, but now electric hook ups? Are they far and few between? 

Is there any online maps to download to help navigate mooring spots etc?

I think we will only be pottering around to Wroxham, Horning (kids can go bewilderwood for day, Ludham, raf museum neaterhead, etc. Few hours every day.. so we can relax. And kids can be kids without electronic devices!

Any advice, places to go pubs for Sunday lunch, and of course fishing spots on route would be great!

I think that's enough from me for now! Cheers one and all

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. 
Pottering is great, kids being kids is great. I don’t fish so can’t help you there. 
Ludham Kings Arms is great for a carvery on Sunday, moor at Womack staithe or Womack dyke.
You can also walk from Ludham bridge moorings (following the red arrow signs saying ‘safe route to Ludham’) or from St Benets abbey moorings following concrete track, turn right, turn left and it takes you into the village (depending on age of the children distance-wise). Both probably take an hour with kids.
Gets busy so need to book in advance. 
Plenty more folk will no doubt be along with their suggestions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You will be OK.  I am sure that when Gracie reads your post she will be along with a load of useful information.

Have a great time. :default_smiley-char054: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just go with the flow and enjoy. Don’t expect to be able to moor up near to pubs in August, but if you can that’s a bonus. There are some pubs where you can phone up and book a spot. Have an eye out for wild moorings, the most peaceful option.

Personally, in August I would be aiming to go to the southern rivers, as it’s a lot quieter down there and there are more pubs/yacht stations where you can book moorings. If you fancy doing that just time your passage through Great Yarmouth carefully to get under the low bridges. Ideally between low and slack water (slack water is usually about an hour to an hour and a half after low water). You’ll probably be given a copy of ‘The Broadcaster’ which has a tide table, but if you do not have a copy of that the tide times are available on the ‘Aweigh’ App which you should be able to download onto your phone. The app will also let you know how fast you are travelling, so is a great help in keeping to the speed limits on the various rivers.

If you are concerned about plugging into electric, there’s a page on the Broads Authority website that tells you where electric posts are available and where you can buy the electric cards to top them up.

Down south the kids might enjoy Pettitt’s petting zoo in Reedham or Pleasurewood Hills Lowestoft, you’d need to get a taxi to the latter though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome

As you are hiring you can moor at other boat yards which takes the pressure off finding somewhere. NBD or Barnes in Wroxham and a trip on The Bure Valley railway. 

I think you can get a bus to Bewilderwood from outside Roys as mooring in Horning is pretty hard to get. Ferry Marina would be a fair walk to Bewilderwood.

King's Arms carvery is good. 

Ranworth is normally a good day they steal a tenner off you to moor there now. Have fun and enjoy.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A very warm welcome aboard 

As has been said just go with the flow. I find if you make plans you never normally stick with them just ask Chris AKA Ceepee :default_biggrin:

I think the children will have far too much to do and won't want their electronic devices. Lot's of wild life to see, lot's of different boats and Wherries to identify. When mine were younger we would buy books on wildlife and try to identify the different birds etc. Boat spotting and identifying is so much fun, I think I get more out of it than the kids :facepalm:

We have had some quality Perch from Herbert Woods basin, I realise you don't want to be stuck in the yard all holiday but maybe give it a try for a few hours using just a simple float rod with maggot and worm (yuk) as best bait

Also Salhouse on the Island moorings, using the same kind of simple set up we have had a fish a cast, just small silvers but great fun all the same

The children will love Bewilderwood and also Wroxham as I am sure you remember Roy's Toy's, get them to save their pocket money and have a spend up in there, my two have spent quite a few pennies in there I can tell you

Not sure if you can hire a dingy from Woods any more but if you can it's well worth thinking about, we have  had so much fun in a dinghy although please tell your lady to wear something appropriate for clambering in and out, a little summer dress is not a good choice :default_biggrin:

The most important thing is to just go, enjoy and make family memories that will stay with your children forever

Can't help with info about the boat but she is a beauty

All the best and have a great time

Grace x

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi and welcome to the forum! Gracie is quite right about not making plans (just look back at my previous write ups in the holiday tales section :default_biggrin:). We have hired from Herbert Woods (HW) for the last five years or so and we do it twice a year. Our first holiday of the year with HW is just the two of us and we have hired Olympic Light in the past but for the last 3 years we hire Supreme Light as it has the added advantage of a stern thruster as well as the bow thruster. Both boats are an excellent choice for a couple but you might find Olympic Light a bit lacking on space depending on how old your kids are.

HW are very good and their customer service is excellent (we have never had a problem with them in all the times we have hired from them (which is why we keep going back!). They will give you all the instruction that is required prior to you setting off on your holibobs and as you are hiring one of their elite range you should be away by 3 p.m. depending what time you arrive there! The bow thruster is hydraulic so depending on your level of expertise you will need to have slightly higher revs than normal to get the maximum benefit from it. We find that helming from the upper helm is best as it gives you the best views all round especially when mooring.  You will receive a welcome pack on arrival which adequate and provides some basic stuff.  You will also get a free copy of their Norfolk Broads Map which is more than sufficient for you to plan your routes etc as you go along and it has other useful info on it too. We also use the AWeigh app as mentioned by YnysMon and find it very useful. If I remember rightly, the airdraft of the boat has a different height shown at the lower helm than at the upper helm! Supreme Light has the same problem but as long as you go with the highest figure of the two, you'll be fine. Remember to lower your screens up top in plenty of time before approaching any bridges that require you to do so as the pins that secure the screens can be a bit tight to get out. You will also find that because the side screens fold inwards, the starboard screen makes it a little bit more of a challenge to operate the throttle but I'm sure you'll get used to it :default_icon_e_smile:

If you are planning to go up the river Ant and under Ludham bridge make sure you arrive at the bridge at low water because even with the screens down I think the way the levels are at the moment it could be a bit of a squeeze and then likewise make sure you return when the water levels are at their lowest. Forewarned is forearmed as the saying goes. Please feel free to ask me anything else (I'm normally flitting in and out of the forum every day (joys of retirement ha ha!). You will find our holiday tales under "The 2W's Afloat or the 4W's Afloat (That's with a bigger boat from HW) in the holiday tales section if you want to have a look (I think I've posted some pics aas well of Olympic Light in one of the tales). Enjoy your holiday - we do everytime no matter what the weather throws at us!!

Chris and Brenda

Edited by CeePee1952
darn typos!!
  • Love 2

Thanks you all, some good information! 

Both kids are just turned teenage... so could be interesting lol! Not making too many plans apart from bewilderwood... as I live in West Norfolk, my lad wants to go there... but thats ok the misses will take them will I have some... glup... mee time! 

Not going too far this year like I said before, but I'm going to look into that bus to the attraction thanks @MargeandParge! but yes up past Ludham Bridge, soo ill look at low tides for that one.

@CeePee1952 how long after running did the hot water take? As with 2 sweaty young teenagers smells, well you know the rest! 

I'll try and do a post on the holiday... but doubt I can match your detail description!

Thanks again all!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bobrob18 said:

@CeePee1952 how long after running did the hot water take? As with 2 sweaty young teenagers smells, well you know the rest! 

Thanks again all!

This is a bit of "how long is a piece of string" question. Assuming everyone has a shower/wash the night before and washing up cooking stuff etc, you should still have fairly warm water in the morning before starting the engine. We have normally let the engine heat up the water during our cruise to the next destination and invariably after about 30 mins to an hour (although we've never really timed it!"), the water is hot enough for washing/shaving etc.  Running the engine while moored up is not as effective as heating the water by the way and might upset nearby boaters :default_icon_eek:

If you haven't already seen it, here's a link to the Skippers Manual on HW's website. You will have a hard copy of the skippers manual pertinent to the boat already onboard when you start your holiday.

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/boating-holidays/boating-guide/skippers-manual/

Chris

• Like 1

Hi to the Newcomer to the NBN Forum.  I WOULD SUGGEST to the Crew to have a Shower while the Boat is going along the River but Don't forget to put more water in the Holding tanks. There is a Barns Brinks in Wroxham you could Moor up, and they have onshore Electricity for the Hook on Boats. Apart from that, have a pleasant Holiday.