Broom And The White Heron

Mouldy

18 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

When I first came down to the Broads back in the 60's almost every boatyard was connected to either Blakes or Hoseasons.

How many yards now operate through booking agents.               Sign of the times.

Jeff

How many yards now operate is more to the point.

• Like 2

I really don't think Clive needs any advice here on how to run a hire fleet, when his family have been in the business since the very early days of Broads hire boats. We've just arrived back at our mooring at Horning Pleasurecraft, after 3 weeks away and notice that all the hire boats are out.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

No problem, just leave your card behind the bar for floydraser and myself there`s a good chap.:default_biggrin:

Does the offer extend to all the other NBN members as well? :default_beerchug: I always said what a nice and reasonable man the chairmen is. :default_winko:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

What is the deal with mooring there to use the pub at the moment?

I understand the moorings by the pub are due to revert to long term moorings again but has anything changed yet?

Last I heard (2 weeks back) was, £10 to moor there and £20 overnight, not refunded against any meals and pub will now take the mooring fee`s.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

Does the offer extend to all the other NBN members as well? :default_beerchug: I always said what a nice and reasonable man the chairmen is. :default_winko:

33 minutes ago, floydraser said:

We were there yesterday early evening and found the same. 

What - our esteemed Chairman paying the bill for everyone ?

Top chap :default_winko:

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

If I was as nice as you all think, I would have posted when I arrived, not after I had paid. 😇

I'm sure that was just an oversight. I won't hear a bad word said about the chairman's..........credit card :default_biggrin:

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I'm sure that was just an oversight. I won't hear a bad word said about the chairman's..........credit card :default_biggrin:

I understand he has deep pockets - it is just his arms are very short :default_rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Davydine said:

But not showing any availability for 2025

Oh … I see what you mean. That’s not good. I hope they’re not throwing them in with the Captains. 🤔

11 hours ago, SwanR said:

Oh … I see what you mean. That’s not good. I hope they’re not throwing them in with the Captains. 🤔

You never know, but seems unlikely to me.

I'm not so sure its bad... when I checked in at a hotel in Majorca recently I was asked if I wanted to pay X amount to have a room on the 6th or 7th (top) floors... this threw me a bit but after clarification same room grade, same positioning just higher up.  I politely declined but as I pondered a ridiculously high number of random things as I chilled and swam in the pool this came back to me a few times.. had the world gone a bit mad with this upselling and eaking each bit of profit out of people... the same room and view but now a premium for a higher floor... as I did the calculations and considered whether enough people said yes to fill each room on those two floors at the extra cost and what that amounbted to on the bottom line I wondered was there any integrity left, was there ever any anyway and would I do it if the business was mine... if you know me a little you'd probably know the answer anyway.

Amongst these thoughts Broom's "White Heron" class sprang to mind as I seem to recall on launch some of the premium related to a better parking space and possibly service as well (the better mattress, new this year/at the time seemed the only real credible improvement, bikes too I suppose if it is your thing) and I remember cringing to myself at the time.  

I wonder which bit actually appealed and made people pay it (hopefully the more credible bits I mention but I sometimes wonder!), but in my round about way I am also trying to say just because you can do something and people pay it doesn't mean you should do it.   Furthermore, if you do it then the world changes a bit, and once a few others follow it is hard to change it back

Dan

• Like 3