Hire Cruiser Sunk

If you can airbag it off the bottom a tarpaulin can be dragged underneath and up the sides to stem the in flow while it's pumped out, once hole found it can be planned much better.

32 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Firstly put the kettle on.

That's why they use divers, first they have to recover the kettle.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Firstly put the kettle on.     Seriously though, it is a very daunting task.

One of mine was sitting on the bottom but the other was being held up by the ropes.  We had the sunroof open so the plan was to swim out of that if it went down!!  No one had heard of health and safety back then!!

• Like 1

Just a thought and don't read anything into this which isn't there:

On cars, we have points front and rear for screwing in towing eyes for recovery because guess what, sometimes they break down. So why don't they build in similar facilities to boats for lifting them off the bottom? Or do they?

• Like 2

Good morning all,

Notice is hereby given that there will be works taking place to raise and recover the sunken vessel upstream Langley Dyke on the River Yare. The works are taking place today Wednesday 14 August 2024 until 16:00 hours.

Vessels navigating must follow all instructions given by the safety boats. Thank you.

All the best,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

• Like 3

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

On cars, we have points front and rear for screwing in towing eyes for recovery because guess what, sometimes they break down. So why don't they build in similar facilities to boats for lifting them off the bottom? Or do they?

I may be wrong, but the weight of the water within a sunken vessel would probably cause a boat to break up if lifting it whilst underwater was attempted unless sufficient strops were placed under the keel.

Remember that a cubic metre of water weighs one tonne (approx) and there are a lot of cubic metres in a 45 ft Broads cruiser.

• Like 3

Just now, Mouldy said:

I may be wrong, but the weight of the water within a sunken vessel would probably cause a boat to break up lifting it whilst underwater was attempted unless sufficient strops were placed under the keel.

Remember that a cubic metre of water weighs one tonne (approx) and there are a lot of cubic metres in a 45 ft Broads cruiser.

I was thinking that with the car, the eye is not just attached to first bit of bodywork, it's connected to the main structure. I wondered if a lifting eye could be designed in to lift from the keel. It would only have to lift it clear of the bottom or to a point where pumps could be effective? Just thinking out loud.

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

I may be wrong, but the weight of the water within a sunken vessel would probably cause a boat to break up if lifting it whilst underwater was attempted unless sufficient strops were placed under the keel.

The weight of the water is only relative if the boat is lifted clear of the water. They will lift the boat to get strops and a tarp under then once the deck is at water level pump the rest of the water out fix the hole and back in hire next week.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Were you being serious BundallNavy about it being back on hire next week?

A day to swap the engine, warm air heater etc, wash the curtains, only take a couple days to repair whatever fibreglass damage was done.  By then the cushions would have dried out.   Probably be the cleanest boat in the fleet after the soaking it’s had!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, NeilB said:

A day to swap the engine, warm air heater etc, wash the curtains, only take a couple days to repair whatever fibreglass damage was done.  By then the cushions would have dried out.   Probably be the cleanest boat in the fleet after the soaking it’s had!!

I guess the question is what damage has been done to the laminates etc.

Those boats are built in an unusual (for the Broads) way with the floor etc being essentially a 'tray' that sits inside the completed hull and there are other interior contra mouldings. Brilliant for production, but they have a reputation for being difficult to work on.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, floydraser said:

Going to be pedantic here.

Don't let anyone recover your car using these eyes. These are really tie downs for transport. I've seen what happens when the threads are rusty and the eye pulls out. nasty,

We use something called brothers that fit around your front wishbones near your steering that really is the strongest part of your car.

End of public service announcement 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, NeilB said:

I’ve done it twice and it does depend on the circumstances.  Both mine had fixed cockpits and were not fully submerged so it was just a case of pumping the water out quicker than it was entering.  Once the levels had reduced you then plugged the hole or crack as best you can and then tow back to the yard.  The boat with the cracked stern quarter was plugged quite effectively with a duvet!  On the other wooden boat the speed log had dropped off, the mop handle was a perfect fit and apparently lasted a couple of years!! :default_shocked1animated:

In this case they may need to use air bags or a crane to raise the boat due to the centre cockpit being open.  Once that’s above water the pumps can get to work.

Dear Neil B as you start your post with I've done it twice do you mean you've scuttled two or salvaged two:default_rofl:. Only joking. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, LizG said:

Do we know who was responsible for the lifting? Can't read the logo on the boats!

I'd say it's Everitt Marine Services from Yarmouth. The bigger vessel with the Hiab crane is from Lowestoft, so may be hired or another company also involved.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LizG said:

Do we know who was responsible for the lifting? Can't read the logo on the boats!

The working barge along side the stricken vessel is Talister which is operated by a chap called Kerr based in Oulton Broad, Paul the OB harbour master would have contact details.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, NeilB said:

Surely it would stink.   River water on a keep net ,  remember that smell when you forget you have left it in the car for a couple of days?

• Like 2