Hire Cruiser Sunk

I did wonder if there might now be some movement of the two fleets. Some of the Brooms boats to HPC? or all the HPC boats consolidated into one hire fleet down South? HPC is primarily annual moorings and has a sign saying no hire craft allowed. I'm guessing due to it mainly being annual moorings. Only time will tell.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Meantime said:

HPC is primarily annual moorings and has a sign saying no hire craft allowed. I'm guessing due to it mainly being annual moorings.

It does but that has been there for years and years. There is a new sign but it was just like for like.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

Looks like Broom's boats have been withdrawn from Hoseasons for 2025. No availability search on their own website but perhaps it's still being written...that or the hire fleet isn't operating after November this year? 

HPC stops hiring end of October, this is all very recent give them a chance to set everything in motion.

Fred

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

I did wonder if there might now be some movement of the two fleets. Some of the Brooms boats to HPC? or all the HPC boats consolidated into one hire fleet down South?

One option, which might prove to be good for the industry as a whole, could be to offer some of the cheapest boats at Brundall. Price sensitive hirers are less likely to be fussy about location and it could get some much needed traffic onto the southern end. I love the northern rivers, but there are some very nice areas in the south. A budget fleet with some models below 6'6" could also get above Beccles bridge. The need to hire from the north has been massively overplayed. Worst case, it's only 5 hours from Brundall to the Bure anyway.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, dom said:

One option, which might prove to be good for the industry as a whole, could be to offer some of the cheapest boats at Brundall. Price sensitive hirers are less likely to be fussy about location and it could get some much needed traffic onto the southern end. I love the northern rivers, but there are some very nice areas in the south. A budget fleet with some models below 6'6" could also get above Beccles bridge. The need to hire from the north has been massively overplayed. Worst case, it's only 5 hours from Brundall to the Bure anyway.

Absolutely this! We would love to hire down south and our ideal time of year is Easter, or the early May Bank Holiday, before Pacific Cruisers at Loddon open for the season. Ideally we need a 3 cabin boat but the current Broom fleet doesn't have anything suitable. I know they have Explorer, but a) it's enormously expensive and b) it's enormous! I don't see the point of a holiday down south that excludes the Chet. Now Swiftway or Tideway from HPC would be perfect for us, and if something similar were available from Brundall, that would be very interesting…

• Like 5

Funnily enough Tideway and Dreamway are ex Broom boats so they could return home.

Doubt he will pull out of Hoseasons yet, not until he can build up a solid base of direct bookings suspect he is working out pricing and whether it will remain all inclusive, boat selection etc at the moment before commiting on the new season. All inclusive sounds like a good idea however it has pushed the ticket price of most Brooms to the top level and Hpc doesn't use this model. Personally I prefer to pay for fuel separately as they seem to load the prices to cover the heavy users and then rely on discounts at the last minute something which the Richardsons are not keen on. Shifting 24 premium hire boats without a large marketing budget in a an increasingly tough market will be difficult in the short term as I believe Brooms left most of this to Hoseasons, that's not to say it won't happen as HPC and others are trying.

Neil

• Like 2

Yes, that's a possibility. I hadn't considered that the two yards operate under two different models... all-inclusive and not. If they're no longer going to be all-inclusive, Hoseasons would need the new set of rates before the boats could go back on sale. 

Oh-oh!  Thread drift!  I was reading about a sunken hire boat, which seems a long way from Clive’s future plans for HPC, Broom and Cove.

All this speculation, I thought I was on Facebook for a moment.  I might be wrong, but Clive does seem to know what he’s doing.  I’m sure that whatever happens with the hire fleets at both bases, will be what he believes to be in the best interests of his businesses.

There is still planning approved for the site at Horning, which may or may not still be actioned.  Other than Clive and Victoria, who knows?  One thing is certain and that is the history associated with the Broom name, which will surely carry some weight in their decision making.  It’s already been suggested that production could be resurrected in Brundall in time.

I’m sure we will all know soon enough.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, LizG said:

Maybe some of the thread drift needs to be moved to another topic?

Maybe it would be good if people stopped speculating on someone's businesses and how they should be run, only one person knows what is in their best interest.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

HPC stops hiring end of October, this is all very recent give them a chance to set everything in motion.

Fred

This statement probably needs clarification. Stops hiring from HPC full stop? Or stops hiring at the end of October as that is the normal end of their season? It reads like it's the first but I suspect and hope it's the latter. Whichever could be misleading, unless you know for a fact they are no longer hiring from HPC after October. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LizG said:

Maybe some of the thread drift needs to be moved to another topic?

Thread drift has always been a part of this forum, it's part of its dna.

32 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Maybe it would be good if people stopped speculating on someone's businesses and how they should be run, only one person knows what is in their best interest.

Fred

Speculation is fine providing that is all it is and it's clear that it's speculation. The problem is when it's presented as fact or inside knowledge. There have been many threads over the years that have speculated which yards may have new builds coming etc. Which class it will be in, what the name might be, how many berths etc. Often with speculation, it is no more than similar to a chat down the pub with friends which is what this forum is good at. 

When someone says something like xyz are no longer hiring or I've heard this yard is being turned into housing it stops being speculation and becomes damaging unless you know for a fact. 

• Like 6

Getting this topic back on thread, I came past the site of the sinking and it is still marked with two yellow posts even though the boat has been raised. Not sure if that's an oversight or there is an obstruction down there.

I also noticed what looked like two newish yellow posts marking the left hand corner of Langley dyke. Some nasty looking metal quay heading on that corner which would be submerged at high tide so be careful if heading up Langley dyke.

I was speaking to a BA ranger on Wednesday who explained what happened but will say nothing until the proper channels release further info.

• Like 5

This statement probably needs clarification. Stops hiring from HPC full stop? Or stops hiring at the end of October as that is the normal end of their season? It reads like it's the first but I suspect and hope it's the latter. Whichever could be misleading, unless you know for a fact they are no longer hiring from HPC after October. 

Ends hiring for end of season as per normal, my mistake if people want to look for more.

Fred

Thread drift has always been a part of this forum, it's part of its dna.

Speculation is fine providing that is all it is and it's clear that it's speculation. The problem is when it's presented as fact or inside knowledge. There have been many threads over the years that have speculated which yards may have new builds coming etc. Which class it will be in, what the name might be, how many berths etc. Often with speculation, it is no more than similar to a chat down the pub with friends which is what this forum is good at. 

When someone says something like xyz are no longer hiring or I've heard this yard is being turned into housing it stops being speculation and becomes damaging unless you know for a fact. 

Speculation is dangerous and meaningless, apologise if this offends some but it is usually a result of idle minds or hands.

Fred

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Speculation is dangerous and meaningless, apologise if this offends some but it is usually a result of idle minds or hands.

Fred

That sounds like speculation, it is certainly not the dictionary definition. Most of the posts on this and other forums are as a result of idle minds. If they were busy they'd be doing something else!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The most damaging post on this thread was not speculation, but was factual, but perhaps poorly worded, just saying!

HPC stops hiring at the end of October would have me worried if I'd booked for next year. Yet it wasn't speculative or incorrect, just in complete. 

HPC usually ends their hiring season in October, would work better IMHO.

So speculation is just that speculation. Poorly worded statements lead to rumour!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Meantime said:

The most damaging post on this thread was not speculation, but was factual, but perhaps poorly worded, just saying!

HPC stops hiring at the end of October would have me worried if I'd booked for next year. Yet it wasn't speculative or incorrect, just in complete. 

HPC usually ends their hiring season in October, would work better IMHO.

So speculation is just that speculation. Poorly worded statements lead to rumour!

Maybe if you looked at the post it was in response to it would have been reasonably clear, my apologise for not doting the Is and crossing the Ts, that said points scoring is not part of my priorites,  respecting the rights of  business owners to conduct the way they operate without uninformed comment in the way they  see fit is.

Fred

• Like 1

Speculation is completely harmless, for goodness sake guys it's a discussion forum, nothing said here has any effect in the real world... nobody reading this forum will be confused by the difference between speculation and factual posts of information by stake holders in whatever is being discussed.

We're all intelligent adults aren't we, no need for thought police surely... Really? Come on!

Treating members like children who don't understand the "grown up world" is insulting and self defeating. This is not the mad, conspiracy edge of the internet, allow conversation without the lectures that just come across as condescending and that say nothing more than "look at me being sensible"

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2