Hire Cruiser Sunk

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

H.W's cruiser - Update:-

There is a fist sized hole just below the waterline near the stern.  They got the engine running Saturday, clean her up refit the interior and then she'll be ready for happy families holibobs

Griff 

It's not the type of cruiser that we would hire but you wouldn't get us at the front of the queue to hire it this year. It's been sat outside in HW's marina since returning with the canopy fully open 24/7. Will this boat have to undergo a survey/BSS inspection prior to it returning to the hire fleet?

Chris

• Like 3

I don't know for sure, but I would have thought a yard that size would have at least one or two engineers capable of performing a BSS. In any case hire yards would maintain their boats to BSS standard all the time, not just before the BSS test. I believe that hire boats also under go a different more stricter version of the BSS. I think the hire boat BSS takes some of the advisory items for the BSS and makes them mandatory etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

I don't know for sure, but I would have thought a yard that size would have at least one or two engineers capable of performing a BSS. In any case hire yards would maintain their boats to BSS standard all the time, not just before the BSS test. I believe that hire boats also under go a different more stricter version of the BSS. I think the hire boat BSS takes some of the advisory items for the BSS and makes them mandatory etc.

I believe hire craft are done every year. 

Ah yes, I was responding to an earlier post you made, i should have quoted. It was this; 

Hylander

Posted August 16

Thank you Ray.  No we are not going to be dictated as to what we can and not say.  All within reason obviously.   I don't  think this site is guilty  of this.  It is the members themselves getting  their knickers in a twist.     Open forum is paramount to enable all opinions to be aired,  however obtuse they appear at times.   May be I am reading it wrong but I hope not.

I was just pointing out that what with the Online Harms Act and its provisions, the NBN can be held to account for what members post. 
The big social media players might be tough nuts to crack but we are less so. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Surely simple removal of posts requested by third parties are all that will ever be required by a discussion forum like this. No member is ever going to post things that promote violence, disorder or child abuse!

If the law really is that Draconian in it's application it needs changing. Admins of social groups, with the emphasis on 'social' should not live in fear of the law surely. 

Having said that the rules of the forum must be respected, it's up to management to decide where or if a little leeway can be applied 👍

I really hope the above won't be taken as criticism, I'm aware from experience what is involved in modding and admin and heartily thank our team for the time and effort they give voluntarily 🍺

• Like 4

I think the problem with leeway is that it can soon be seen as favouritism to or by some. The terms of service are agreed when we join and you either agree and post, or disagree and don't take part, but we cannot really complain when the TOS are applied equally across the board.

• Like 9

On 22/08/2024 at 00:24, BroadAmbition said:

H.W's cruiser - Update:-

There is a fist sized hole just below the waterline near the stern.  They got the engine running Saturday, clean her up refit the interior and then she'll be ready for happy families holibobs

Griff 

I've heard GFRP is prone to absorbing water and losing integrity over time - is this a) something I have heard correctly, and b) something that may be accelerated by what this cruiser has gone through? I obviously have full faith in the quality of the repair, I remember composite repairs being a brief area of study of mine back in... oh god, 2009... so I figure they can probably do a proper job of it, but the idea of a hull gradually losing structural integrity is something that would give me nightmares if I was an owner/hire operator 😂 (not as many as the idea of it rapidly losing structural integrity...)

1 hour ago, William92 said:

I've heard GFRP is prone to absorbing water and losing integrity over time - is this a) something I have heard correctly, and b) something that may be accelerated by what this cruiser has gone through?

A hole/immersion/repair should make no difference to its longevity whatsoever, assuming its done competently. The only way GRP will absorb water is through osmosis which takes very prolonged exposure to water.

If anything, it'll probably be stronger, as a yard would generally give a hole a pretty heavy layup, so that part of the hull will be thicker than the rest.

• Like 3

Osmosis is overplayed on a regular basis  most surveyors looking at an older boat will say yes it has it but don't worry where they used to recommend all sorts of expensive repairs. 

Most boats get a bit of water in the bilges so what's the difference? It's true polyester resin will absorb some and exposed glass fibres can wick it into the layup where it can react but most issues are minor.

A short term submersion is not a problem to the grp, wooden bulkheads can be another matter as some boats use mdf these days.

On 23/08/2024 at 17:00, Ray said:

Surely simple removal of posts requested by third parties are all that will ever be required by a discussion forum like this. No member is ever going to post things that promote violence, disorder or child abuse!

If the law really is that Draconian in it's application it needs changing. Admins of social groups, with the emphasis on 'social' should not live in fear of the law surely. 

Having said that the rules of the forum must be respected, it's up to management to decide where or if a little leeway can be applied 👍

I really hope the above won't be taken as criticism, I'm aware from experience what is involved in modding and admin and heartily thank our team for the time and effort they give voluntarily 🍺

Well said Ray.

When I post anything that I am not entirely sure would 'fit the bill' so to speak I always ask first.     Believe me I have had my hand smacked on many occasion but you just take it on the chin as there always has to be a sensible reason for a post to be removed or a photograph.  When you hear of other sites and what goes on there , thank heavens for our forum.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Smoggy said:

A short term submersion is not a problem to the grp, wooden bulkheads can be another matter as some boats use mdf these days.

Anyone using MDF on a boat needs throwing overboard, along with those using OSB and softwood tongue and groove.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Does it count if its used outside?

Absolutely. Anything like that should be made from aluminium composite cladding, like this beauty.

IMG_0733.jpeg

I'm not a huge fan of the curtains either end though.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, dom said:

Absolutely. Anything like that should be made from aluminium composite cladding, like this beauty.

IMG_0733.jpeg

I'm not a huge fan of the curtains either end though.....

There's one like that on rgo near Barford power station, I recon it could be the same one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smoggy said:

There's one like that on rgo near Barford power station, I recon it could be the same one.

He comes from around that way somewhere. He'd come downstream, but got stuck below Offord because the water level changed and the bridge clearance was too low. Seems he was just going to sit at the lock landing until it dropped again.

• Like 1