Hire Cruiser Sunk

Good afternoon all,

We are aware of a sunken hire vessel upstream of Langley Dyke on the River Yare. Rangers have attended the scene and marked the vessel with posts and lights. Please exercise care and caution when navigating in the area.

Regards,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought you weren’t supposed to moor along that stretch by Langley Dyke? I thought I’d seen no mooring signs in the vicinity a while back, but I might be wrong.

I suppose another factor is that there’s always a risk in approaching a wild mooring that is rarely used. I wouldn’t do it myself…knowing that I’d be answerable to the rest of the syndicate if we bit hit something.

The report from Herbert Woods states that the boat hit the quay heading whilst turning.  There was no mention of mooring.

There are very few places along the length of The Yare where wild mooring is possible.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I thought you weren’t supposed to moor along that stretch by Langley Dyke? I thought I’d seen no mooring signs in the vicinity a while back, but I might be wrong.

I suppose another factor is that there’s always a risk in approaching a wild mooring that is rarely used. I wouldn’t do it myself…knowing that I’d be answerable to the rest of the syndicate if we bit hit something.

The Bank upstream of Langley Dyke is controlled by an Angling Club.

Fred

47 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Good 150 feet if not 200 feet wide there.

image.thumb.png.71e55f4f3e91d40050f01e14a5470135.png

So it might be, but who are we to dispute the explanation that Woods gave for the sinking?  That would surely render us in the same light as the users of Facebook that like to speculate what happened without knowledge of the facts.

Until such time as the result of any further investigation is released, should we not just accept the statement made by the boatyard?

None of us were there to witness the event.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

So it might be, but who are we to dispute the explanation that Woods gave for the sinking?  That would surely render us in the same light as the users of Facebook that like to speculate what happened without knowledge of the facts.

Until such time as the result of any further investigation is released, should we not just accept the statement made by the boatyard?

None of us were there to witness the event.

Please read my post again!!!!!!

Where did I dispute Herbert Woods explanation?

There are others connected with this site that suggested a common theme and that perhaps there were other factors at play. I couldn't possibly agree or disagree publicly. 

I did not speculate or gossip, merely pointed out that the river is very wide there, which it is. Do you want to dispute that?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Please read my post again!!!!!!

Where did I dispute Herbert Woods explanation?

There are others connected with this site that suggested a common theme and that perhaps there were other factors at play. I couldn't possibly agree or disagree publicly. 

I did not speculate or gossip, merely pointed out that the river is very wide there, which it is. Do you want to dispute that?

I have re read your post and the statement ‘I can think of far more difficult places to turn’ does indicate to me, at least, that there is doubt in your mind as to the validity of the statement by Herbert Woods.

Most of us familiar with that area of The Yare will know how wide it is.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I have re read your post and the statement ‘I can think of far more difficult places to turn’ does indicate to me, at least, that there is doubt in your mind as to the validity of the statement by Herbert Woods.

Most of us familiar with that area of The Yare will know how wide it is.

Let me be absolutely clear for you. There is no doubt in my mind of the validity of Herbert Woods statement. Please do not presume to know what is in my mind when I post. :default_rofl:

I made a statement of fact which I stand by. There are far harder places to turn a boat. Next you'll be telling me I'm casting doubt on the capabilities of the helm. I'm not before you suggest that! You really cannot read my mind. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Be glad when it gets cooler.   Too hot and no one is getting any proper sleep.    :default_badday:

We wait so long for it and then we complain. It's only because we don't get time to acclimatise to it before it turns cold again.

I awoke this morning and it was 17 degrees in the saloon, far better than the 27 indoors at home. OK it has been shut up, but even so at least the boat does cool quicker overnight.

OK it might be 33 degrees in the saloon now, but I'm under an umbrella in the pub garden waiting for the boat to cool down again.  :default_beerchug:

• Like 3

Just now, ChrisB said:

I know what happened:-

It hit a mine!

3.thumb.jpg.0e6d54aaa026a118cc4e349a72666546.jpg

I'm now paranoid. I just reacted to your post in the vain it was meant. But what is people actually thought I thought it was funny a boat sank. I really don't by the way.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I'm now paranoid. I just reacted to your post in the vain it was meant. But what is people actually thought I thought it was funny a boat sank. I really don't by the way.

Don't be paranoid, I laughed at it too, it doesn't mean we think it's funny a boat sank. You gotta have a giggle sometimes. I have a theory anyway, I reckon it was a Kraken :default_biggrin:

Grace x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Don't be paranoid, I laughed at it too, it doesn't mean we think it's funny a boat sank. You gotta have a giggle sometimes. I have a theory anyway, I reckon it was a Kraken :default_biggrin:

Grace x

Aah Grace,

Many a true word spoken in jest!

61zHfUGpLqL._AC_SY879_.thumb.jpg.579b4f064dda1e2fad94c119eba8578f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Can anyone with the appropriate knowledge explain what's involved in recovering a sunken boat?

I’ve done it twice and it does depend on the circumstances.  Both mine had fixed cockpits and were not fully submerged so it was just a case of pumping the water out quicker than it was entering.  Once the levels had reduced you then plugged the hole or crack as best you can and then tow back to the yard.  The boat with the cracked stern quarter was plugged quite effectively with a duvet!  On the other wooden boat the speed log had dropped off, the mop handle was a perfect fit and apparently lasted a couple of years!! :default_shocked1animated:

In this case they may need to use air bags or a crane to raise the boat due to the centre cockpit being open.  Once that’s above water the pumps can get to work.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Can anyone with the appropriate knowledge explain what's involved in recovering a sunken boat?

Firstly put the kettle on.     Seriously though, it is a very daunting task.

• Like 2