A Small Bit Of Advice After The Recent Fire.

KitKat

A little piece of advice when mooring your boat. Try to use a simple and uncomplicated knot when securing your boat. Winding excess rope around to kind of tidy it up when leaving for a while might make it difficult for someone to move your boat in a hurry. 
The recent incident has certainly made me aware of the need for the ropes to be secured in such a way that, should an emergency arise, every second untying counts. 
To be honest, it isn’t something that I had given a great deal of thought to until last week.  We use the two loop (clove hitch) usually as it is what we were taught but I am sure there are many different ways to tie up our boats. Sometimes the ropes are difficult to handle when they haven’t been untied for a while. 
I feel so sorry for our friends and fellow boaters who have lost their much loved boats and possessions and also to Karen and Mark who have worked so hard improving and caring for the moorings and will I’m sure make it good again.

I hope there are better times ahead for them all. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

If the boat next to me catches fire it'll be a case of out with the carving knife and sod the knots!

Hope all is soon sorted for those concerned 

Had a similar thing happen when we were moored at Horning staithe,my Alfa was getting hit by a hire boat, one mooring line still tied to the quay,the chap on board  said " i didnt realise there were 2 ropes".The tide had his boat hitting my bow,no way could i untie his rope,current to strong,so i cut his mooring rope and of he went!

A very sharp serrated bread knife is best I found. Especially if you have that dreadful polypropylene, beloved by hire boats on The Broads and at sea often lost or discarded by Pot Fishermen. I always had one in the cockpit of my sailing craft. The rounder the tip the better to stop you stabbing something or worse someone.

61hQDNPVnKL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_FMwebp_.thumb.webp.36e614ff3253fca5183932cfc9dfbc7d.webp

May be related or not.

In our heavy plant yard (not those type of plant), we had a battery explode. The battery compartment is in a metal box affair and is one of two to make 24V. Ventilated but attached to the cab of an excavator 

According to our fitter, it was "bloody hot" in the others he checked and in the original one, no wire faults found, So we popped open the lids on other machines just to be on the safe side. Thinking is that the battery had an internal fault the summer heat made worse  

Not saying this was the cause but its just something else to watch out for

20 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

In our heavy plant yard (not those type of plant), we had a battery explode.

From experience, batteries exploding is a reasonably common occurence. We predominantly sold batteries for cars, but explosions occurred disproportionately in boats. The main reason tends to be people leaving inappropriate chargers on for extended periods. If you leave a traditonal trickle charger indefinitely, they can start to overcharge, which causes off-gassing and can lead to explosions. It's not difficult to imagine a scenario with a boat on a mooring with mains hookup leading to this and ultimately a fire.

38 minutes ago, MargeandParge said:

Could solar charging do the same in intense sun?

Good quality MPPT controller setups - probably not.

Basic portable units, or older/cheaper PWM controllers -  quite possibly.

• Thanks 1