Hot Day? Don’t Just Jump Off Your Boat In To The Water!

PCL023

It’s been a few lovely hot days here on the rivers. Tuesday this week was one of the warmest, or at least the most humid days we have had for a while. 

Anyway just wanted to mention this. Don’t just jump into the river/broad unless you have a worked out and proven plan on getting back out again. 

Saw this unfolding from a distance while mud weighting on Ranworth. Strength is soon sapped and other than grabbing on to a fender, not everyone has the strength to haul themselves out. This was the case, I rowed over with our boarding ladders, that have a few rungs that go under the water to get the chap out on to his boat. 

As tempting as it may seem, think before you jump, also consider what else could be floating in the water…..it may make you think twice, also plenty of boats around with their meat mincers on the go. IMG_9549.thumb.jpeg.9c8559b17e6ca2a1517eb850690b11ab.jpeg🤪

Enjoy but just be safe. 

Cheers 

Paul 

• Like 10

Before I ever consider going in the water I have an exit plan worked out, whether it be a shoreside ladder, or even just the paddleboard tied next to the boat, with a spare rope handy. Or a rope ladder rhond anchored to the bank.

• Like 1

I have worked out I have a minimum of 18" below my side chine, with a total rise /fall about the same, plus I arrived half way through the  tide so it looks OK, I won't be leaving until high tide  tomorrow  in any case. This spot is perfect for a short boat such as water rail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCL023 said:

Don’t just jump into the river/broad unless you have a worked out and proven plan on getting back out again.

...and people you know in close proximity to rescue you if things go wrong.

Average water temperatures in the UK are 11 degrees. Even in hot conditions, the water can be surprisingly cold. If you enter cold water rapidly, it's not unusual to suffer cold water shock. Quite often, the immediate physical reaction is to take a sharp intake of breath. If you've just jumped in, and have your head underwater, the result of this doesn't take a lot of working out. It can also cause the vocal chords to clamp shut, preventing you calling for help.

If you want to go swimming, either go somewhere like Caen Meadow, where there's a nice gradual beach to enter from, use a boarding ladder to lower yourself in slowly, or drop in from a dinghy. Jumping in is plain dumb, not least because you've no idea what might be hidden below the surface.

Also, don't rely on members of the public to rescue you. Paul is obviously one of the good samaritans who will help, but in another case recently, members of the public were more interested in taking selfies than helping, despite there being several life buoys close by.

• Like 2

Just for clarity, here is what I would set up to enter and exit the water, at this point there is a big hump of mud just 6" down, just to the left of the dip in the bank as you look at it, it's about a 2 foot step down here.

IMG_20240816_071934_521.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grendel said:

Before I ever consider going in the water I have an exit plan worked out, whether it be a shoreside ladder, or even just the paddleboard tied next to the boat, with a spare rope handy. Or a rope ladder rhond anchored to the bank.

Pleased to hear it.       On your lonesome it is even more important.       Hope you are enjoying this lovely Summer weather.  That mooring looks just right.      Bit of shade when you need it.