Can i rent someone with a trailer?

brandenjg

Hi everyone

I'm waiting to hear whether I can buy a 14ft boat or not (It doesn't come with a trailer). I was hoping one of the many kind people on here might be able to pick the boat up for me if i do buy it, from Rockland St Mary nr Surlingham and tow it ( On a trailer) to Pilling park near heartsease. I would be willing to pay about £30 ( I can't afford any more). I would go to a hire yard but my dad doesn't have a tow hook on his car.

It would be about 30 minutes work for £30 and i would be truly greatfull :love

I dont think its quite as simple as that, when towing you have to consider all sorts of weight restrictions, and before anyone could offer, you would need to know the weight of the boat, which then has to be added to the weight of the trailer, and that total sum cannot be more than 85% of the weight of the tow veichle, and will also have a noseweight restriction depending on the towcar manufacturers recomendations.

Theres also the insurance to consider, both for any potential damage to the boat in transit, and for general car insurance/trailer insurance, as most policies dont cover a veichle towing for gain, and to insure one for such, plus fuel, would cost a lot more than £30 :naughty:

Im sorry if this sounds a bit negative, but to be quite honest I think it would either be a case of hireing a trailer and towing it yourself with your own towcar, or asking a boatyard to do the job for you, maybe as part of the purchase deal?

Julz :wave

and that total sum cannot be more than 85% of the weight of the tow veichle :wave

I'm going off topic here but............

85% is the holy grail of towing. For example, a new Discovery has a gross vehicle weight of around 2200kg, so 85% (as recommended by towing organisations), gives you a towing weight of just 1870kg. Yet a Disco WILL pull up to 3500kg provided there's a suitable loadec trailer behind it. I've quoted below a post off another forum (not mine) which sums up this topic:

The towing organisations say a max of 85% of the vehicles kerb weight or 100% if you're an experienced tower.â€

When I hear this it drives me mad, with many caravaners buying particular caravans just to get the holy grail of a perfect 85% match. Do people really think that the vehicle manufacturers don’t know how to set safe max.towing weights for the vehicles they produce??

Take a Nissan x-trail kerb weight around 1550kg dependant on exact model so 85% = 1318kgs if you listen to caravan organisations & the like or if you tow what the Nissan was designed and built to tow 2200kgs (137.5%) new model or 2000kgs older model (125%). Think about it The police, VOSA & all other concerning authorities would not allow this if Nissan or any other vehicle manufacturer did not know what a safe design weight was. Take your choice who you believe. I tow with my Nissan very close to the 2000kgs max trailer weight no problems.

If you take the advice of the 85% rule, a 2001 onward 4.0l V8 land Rover Discovery 5 seat model with manufacturers max. towing weight of 3500kgs with a kerb weight of 2105kg 85% = 1789kg would not be able to tow the single axle trailer mentioned, loaded to its maximum capacity of 1800kgs.

Concerning empty trailer weights a twin axle boat trailer suitable for the above would weigh in the region of 600kgs empty. A single axle trailer about 500kgs empty, these weights need to be added to the total boat weight to see if you believe that a particular car & person are a happy & safe combination.

My advice to anyone towing a boat, take time loading the boat & adjusting the trailer to get as near to the max. permitted nose weight, to help reduce swaying. And take your time, drive conservatively. I don’t find the boat width for rear view to be a problem, like a caravan, but remember that a boat trailer with rollers does not help to hold the boat on, make sure that you secure it to the trailer well.

Just a thought,

All of the foregoing is very true with boats above a certain weight or size, because as the length goes up the weight increases by the cube.

True, there are a few 14 ft cabin boats around, but It's quite possible though that Brandenjg's "14 ft" boat is simply an open dinghy, and may weigh as little as 100kg or so.

If that's the case, it could be carried on almost any unbraked dinghy trailer, or even inverted on a large camping trailer, if anyone has one. The total all up weight could be well within the 85% recommendation of the smallest of cars.

As for the insurance aspect "for hire or reward", I think this sort of deal would rank as a favour for a friend for petrol costs, rather than a commercial undertaking, (even if admitted as such).

I'm afraid all of my light craft are folders or inflatables, so I have no trailers myself now.

As i said hiring a trailer wouldn't work. I'd have to buy a car with a tow hook first :? Think I'll have to get a few friends together and carry it to the river and get a day toll on it (so it's legal till i get it home on dry land ). It weighs between 100- 140 kg so should be an easy job.

Thanks anyway for the comments

:lineup:

If i had a suitable trailer i would help you out.

I would even use my fit for purpose viehicle, together with the liecence for towing that us slightly younger folk have to take to say that we are compitant to tow. Wonder how many in the caravan club have had to retake their driving test with their caravan on the back?

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
If i had a suitable trailer i would help you out.

I would even use my fit for purpose viehicle, together with the liecence for towing that us slightly younger folk have to take to say that we are compitant to tow. Wonder how many in the caravan club have had to retake their driving test with their caravan on the back?

Unfortunately, due to governmental over expendature, we are now in an economy where the current govenment have got to explore EVERY opportunity to raise revinue. Nobady ever needed to "S.O.R.N." a road vehicle because the tax, and now, the insurance ran out. What happens if you don`t?, you get a recently imposed fine, for commiting a recently invented offence. Again, Just another way to raise revinue. Or am i being just a tad synical again?.

Unfortunately, due to governmental over expendature, we are now in an economy where the current govenment have got to explore EVERY opportunity to raise revinue. Nobady ever needed to "S.O.R.N." a road vehicle because the tax, and now, the insurance ran out. What happens if you don`t?, you get a recently imposed fine, for commiting a recently invented offence. Again, Just another way to raise revinue. Or am i being just a tad synical again?.

some may say synical, i say spot on.

You can tow a trailer if you passed your test after 1997 without taking the extra Test, but the restrictions in weight are more severe, and it would restrict you greatly to something like a small luggage trailer that was Unbraked, or the lightest 'Freedom' type microlight caravan, Braked.

The Caravan Club do run regular tow training days for beginners and those preparing ready to upgrade their licence to tow heavier trailers, if they took their test post 1997. Either way, the upgrade test is no where near a full original driving test, but does cover other safety issues such as load distribution, correct lighting, the need for extention mirrors to enable clear vision both sides, and reversing skills.

Im one of the lucky ones who passed my test back in the 70's, and i have been towing for over 30yrs, including farm machinery on my Dads small holding, with a bit of extreme off-roading thrown in for good measure lol, so i managed to escape the extra towing test you young ones need to tow a big one! :lol:

Frankly I believe that SORN is great, if you have not paid excise licence why should you be permitted to keep your vehicle on a public road that all other motorists pay for? and worst of all no insurance, what if the vehicle concerned causes an accident and I (or you) loose the ability to generate revenue for the rest of our lives, or even a couple of years. No chance of being compensated because somebody wants to flout the rules, the extra premiums we law abiding people have to pay because of uninsured drivers amounts to a sizable sum. The best thing ever introduced was confiscation of uninsured vehicles caught being driven on puplic roads. We all get a reminder each year and can SORN simply and at no cost, we all know when our insurance MOT et all is due. There will be exceptions of course, working abroad for extendeed periods unexpectedly, illness etc but it really is not much to ask that people just stick to the rules. SORN has been with us for a long time, it's just that recently the technology has moved on to a state where people can be easily caught and sanctions more easily applied for breaking the law. ANPR is another recent introduction that helps with the aprehension of not only uninsured and untaxed vehicles but those flagged as used in crime, petrol station drive offs etc, all good in my view, but then I stick to the rules, when I'm caught speeding I know it's my fault and nobody else's for not obaying the limit or at least keeping a better look out in my mirror.

Frankly I believe that SORN is great, if you have not paid excise licence why should you be permitted to keep your vehicle on a public road that all other motorists pay for? and worst of all no insurance, what if the vehicle concerned causes an accident and I (or you) loose the ability to generate revenue for the rest of our lives, or even a couple of years. No chance of being compensated because somebody wants to flout the rules, the extra premiums we law abiding people have to pay because of uninsured drivers amounts to a sizable sum. The best thing ever introduced was confiscation of uninsured vehicles caught being driven on puplic roads. We all get a reminder each year and can SORN simply and at no cost, we all know when our insurance MOT et all is due.

Absolutely right.

SORNing a vehicle is free and easy, (especially online), and un-SORNing one is equally quick and easy.

Anything that helps to prosecute drivers without tax, insurance, or MOT is a good thing for anyone who wishes to be honest and abide by the law.

You can tow a trailer if you passed your test after 1997 without taking the extra Test, but the restrictions in weight are more severe, and it would restrict you greatly to something like a small luggage trailer that was Unbraked, or the lightest 'Freedom' type microlight caravan, Braked.

The Caravan Club do run regular tow training days for beginners and those preparing ready to upgrade their licence to tow heavier trailers, if they took their test post 1997. Either way, the upgrade test is no where near a full original driving test, but does cover other safety issues such as load distribution, correct lighting, the need for extention mirrors to enable clear vision both sides, and reversing skills.

Im one of the lucky ones who passed my test back in the 70's, and i have been towing for over 30yrs, including farm machinery on my Dads small holding, with a bit of extreme off-roading thrown in for good measure lol, so i managed to escape the extra towing test you young ones need to tow a big one! :lol:

Having passed the test for B+E i can confirm that it is the full practical (excluding turn in road and parallel park) test with extra car park trailer manovers such as reverse a 'S' bend and park in a bay, couple and uncouple as well emergancy stop. in Norwich testing is at same place as trucks go for there version of MOT.

Reading this makes me wonder if I can tow a trailer/caravan etc

I passed my test in January 1974 so does anyone know what I can and can't do?

You can drive most things, the laws changed in 1997 but you might find that if you now have a photo liecence they did a sneaky and took the moped part off!

but you might find that if you now have a photo license they did a sneaky and took the moped part off!

You had me worried there....

I recently renewed my photo license, so just had a quick look at it.

B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p

No picture of a moped amongst the symbols on the back, but a quick look at the DVLA site revealed the group to be "p", sigh of relief.... I do have a moped.

Thinking about it further though, surely if legislation states that you are entitled to drive certain classes of vehicles if you passed your test prior to certain dates, then you still are entitled to drive/ride them, regardless of what it actually says on the license ??

You had me worried there....

I recently renewed my photo license, so just had a quick look at it.

B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E,f,k,l,n,p

No picture of a moped amongst the symbols on the back, but a quick look at the DVLA site revealed the group to be "p", sigh of relief.... I do have a moped.

Thinking about it further though, surely if legislation states that you are entitled to drive certain classes of vehicles if you passed your test prior to certain dates, then you still are entitled to drive/ride them, regardless of what it actually says on the license ??

I stand corrected there glad your entiltement is still there. c1+E and D1+E thats pretty big stuff doubt i will ever go for those tests!

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Frankly I believe that SORN is great, if you have not paid excise licence why should you be permitted to keep your vehicle on a public road that all other motorists pay for? and worst of all no insurance, what if the vehicle concerned causes an accident and I (or you) loose the ability to generate revenue for the rest of our lives, or even a couple of years. No chance of being compensated because somebody wants to flout the rules, the extra premiums we law abiding people have to pay because of uninsured drivers amounts to a sizable sum. The best thing ever introduced was confiscation of uninsured vehicles caught being driven on puplic roads. We all get a reminder each year and can SORN simply and at no cost, we all know when our insurance MOT et all is due. There will be exceptions of course, working abroad for extendeed periods unexpectedly, illness etc but it really is not much to ask that people just stick to the rules. SORN has been with us for a long time, it's just that recently the technology has moved on to a state where people can be easily caught and sanctions more easily applied for breaking the law. ANPR is another recent introduction that helps with the aprehension of not only uninsured and untaxed vehicles but those flagged as used in crime, petrol station drive offs etc, all good in my view, but then I stick to the rules, when I'm caught speeding I know it's my fault and nobody else's for not obaying the limit or at least keeping a better look out in my mirror.

The thing is David, the governments OWN figures, that they DON`t want you to know by the way, prove that these new S.O.R.N. declarations have NOT reduced the number of untaxed or uninsured vehicals on the road at all. In reality, there are now MORE untaxed, uninsured, and unregistered vehicals on the road than ever before, and the numbers are growing all the time. Since S.O.R.N. came in to being, the numbers of unregitered cars has rocketed, because there is no way of tracing the owner, and even if the police are successful in pulling one over, they then have the task of trying to prove who the owner really is. One last thing, i wish people would have a bit more faith in HONEST people, who don`t have to prove that they are actually honest. But then of course, governments would lose revinue that way. Sorry, i`m being synical again.

I don't tink you're being cynical Neil but just how many more would there be without the current regime, and as for the reliance on honesty, that would be Eutopia I agree, but you and I know that's all it is, a Eutopian dream sadly.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
I don't tink you're being cynical Neil but just how many more would there be without the current regime, and as for the reliance on honesty, that would be Eutopia I agree, but you and I know that's all it is, a Eutopian dream sadly.

As i pointed out above David, since S.O.R.N. came in, the numbers of unregistered vehicals, which are also untaxed, uninsured and un M.O.T`d has actually RISEN by an alarming rate, and it`s getting worse.

These days, with all the modern technology brining in recognition cameras, there`s nowhere to hide, as they say, so WHY should we have S.O.R.N?. The simple fact is that S.O.R.N only works on HONEST people who have simply forgotten to notify the authorities that their vehical is stored off road, while the unscroupulous in society carry on driving illegally. You can say how good S.O.R.N is till you`re blue in the face, but you can`t deny the fact that it does NOTHING to stop those with a crimianl mind. It`s just another way of raising revinue, just like speed cameras which can`t pick out drunk drivers, or unroadworthy vehicals, but that`s another discussion we`ve had on here before.

Anyway, i think we`ve said enough, and should let this thread get back on topic. :lol::lol:

Hi everyone

Are there any rules/laws regarding carrying a boat along a road? My friends have agreed to help me carry the boat if i get it. I'm thinking if we all were hi vis jackets we should be alright. I've found this is the only cost effective way to transport the boat. Walk it to the river at surlingham, find someone or use my current boat to tow it to norwich then drag it out of the water and carry it to my house. Simples cheersbar

You can drive most things, the laws changed in 1997 but you might find that if you now have a photo liecence they did a sneaky and took the moped part off!

What about a "mowing machine" :lol:

If its on private land, and with the permission of the landowner, you are allowed to just about drive anything, and without any age restrictions either! :naughty::lol:

My nephew learned to drive when he was at junior school, in an old banger of a Peugeot 106. Whilst other kids where learning to ride their ponies and do show jumping, he was learning to reverse his car around bollards on his Grandads farm!

He passed his driving test a few days after his 17th birthday, and went on to become an HGV driver at turning 21 :)

Hi everyone

Are there any rules/laws regarding carrying a boat along a road? My friends have agreed to help me carry the boat if i get it. I'm thinking if we all were hi vis jackets we should be alright. I've found this is the only cost effective way to transport the boat. Walk it to the river at surlingham, find someone or use my current boat to tow it to norwich then drag it out of the water and carry it to my house. Simples cheersbar

Sounds a long way from simples to me. But please let me know when your doing it i would love a picture of you carrying down the road!

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Hi everyone

If you DO decide to go down this route (no punn intended :lol: ) don`t forget to measure each arm before and after you`ve done it, as you might find you`ll need to go clothes shopping for some larger jumpers :lol::lol::lol:

No stretched arms for me. I've found a company in norwich that rent boat trailers and after ringing round every person in my phone book, I've managed to find someone with a tow hook who's towed boats before. It's fair to say Happy Days, as will be picking the boat up this saturday :party2: