Boat Airdrafts

Hi Jeff if when you approach a bridge look along the highest part of the boat and line it up to the bridge IF you can see the far under side of the bridge you can proceeds IF you only see the near underside DON'T proced. Boat height and bridge height boards are not true they all era on the side of safty. John

1 hour ago, dom said:

There are no lists that I'm aware of. I think the Alphacraft 42cc is usually quoted around 6'8"

That may be slightly optimistic. I've hired a 35 a couple of times and it was 6'10''-6'11".

Richardsons used to publish a list of bridge heights in the boat manual but it wasn't much use because the Wroxham pilot will tend to take you through at what they know they need regardless of the "official" air draft.

10 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

That may be slightly optimistic. I've hired a 35 a couple of times and it was 6'10''-6'11".

I suspect there's probably a fair bit of variation, depending on who fitted them out and with what equipment.

Summercraft fitted out a couple of 35s, which seem to sit lower in the water than some others. I suspect it's down to the fact they built them properly with better floor bearers, bulkheads, etc. The one down at Beccles which no-one seems to want to buy seems the opposite - pretty flimsily thrown together and seems to sit very high on the water.

• Like 2

Hi, 

Just did a Google and came up with 2 examples sold at NYA, one is 6ft 8 the other 7ft 3. I suspect 6ft 8 is probably close to the true airdraft and 7ft 3 likely what a boatyard will quote with a safety margin. Good luck in getting under although as has been mentioned the tides have been high most of the season. Just come back from a week on the South and it was over the top at Cantley and Dutch tea gardens later in the week 

Neil 

• Like 1

I have a Alpha 42 and she will just squeeze through Wroxham at 6ft 6".  However, as mentioned some may be heavier and lower than others and I suspect with bow thruster, anchor winch, chain and a battery all in the bow mine is a heavy one.  Both holding tanks appear to be quite large with 100 gallon water and 60 gallon fuel.  Plus me!!

The yards will add at least a couple of inches to the actual height, maybe more.  Your best option is to call the bridge pilot and ask them.

I've only been under once this year and barely made it back by the skin of my gelcoat!!  It's been pretty high all year.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LizG said:

I have a recollection that the bridge pilots at Potter have a list? Not that any can get under now!

they have a big ledger, I have seen it when they kindly looked up Water Rails requirement for me (6'3")

• Like 3

11 hours ago, grendel said:

they have a big ledger, I have seen it when they kindly looked up Water Rails requirement for me (6'3")

Actually that's probably equally as good as asking the Wroxham Bridge pilot. They'll give you the pilot's answer. You have to be a pilot to take it through Wroxham or Potter of course but if it's Wroxham you're interested in then that's good. 

On 26/08/2024 at 11:07, grendel said:

It's listed at 6' 3" because that's what I told them based on what my father told me or I just remember he was happy to go when it read that. I suspect it could go under less but not that much unless you took the canopy lid off!!!

1 hour ago, LizG said:

It's listed at 6' 3" because that's what I told them based on what my father told me or I just remember he was happy to go when it read that. I suspect it could go under less but not that much unless you took the canopy lid off!!!

If you tried at 6ft you could kill two birds with one stone so to speak. :default_coat:

• Like 2