Sad Sight

RumPunch

A bit of loose on a roller reef genoa and that is what you get.

Always amazed me around Poole how many owners left the sail on the spar over winter.

I had a zipped sheath made to cover mine and hoisted it using the spinnaker halyard.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

A bit of loose on a roller reef genoa and that is what you get.

Always amazed me around Poole how many owners left the sail on the spar over winter.

I had a zipped sheath made to cover mine and hoisted it using the spinnaker halyard.

I don't have roller reefing - thankfull for that sometimes

• Like 2

It is a sad sight. Makes you wonder as to why people abandon their boats. Sad stories behind some of them I would imagine

I have very fond memories of The Berney Arms. Loved mooring there, sitting outside with a shandy and a packet of crisps watching the boats coming and going. I remember that stretch being packed with boats too, what a sorry state it is now, such a shame

Grace x

• Like 6

It is certainly a shame that it has been allowed to get to the state the area is in. More history and heritage lost. 

And congratulations For completing the walk. Bet you battled the undergrowth at times.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, kpnut said:

And congratulations For completing the walk. Bet you battled the undergrowth at times.

Yep - a bit on this leg, and especially on the Potter to Thurne section

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gracie said:

have very fond memories of The Berney Arms. Loved mooring there, sitting outside with a shandy and a packet of crisps watching the boats coming and going. I remember that stretch being packed with boats too, what a sorry state it is now, such a shame

Me too. I can remember passing there about 7-30 one August evening as a teenager in 1986. We'd just crossed Breydon and wanted to moor but it was completely full. In later years I have happy memories of sitting out on the pub benches with a drink, I don't think there'll ever be a pub location like that ever again. I used to enjoy climbing the mill also. Nowadays I occasionally break there for a short stop but don't really enjoy doing so because it all feels so sad.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

I've attempted to climb the mill in the past but to no avail :default_biggrin: I remember it well, boats moored bow to stern and most people being friendly, chatting and just having a good time. I loved mooring there overnight, it was almost eerie in a good way, just the best memories all round. It's a shame something couldn't be made of it again for more people to enjoy such a unique and beautiful location

How fantastic was the view as boats came across looking for mooring space. We used to play name the boat or look for boats we've hired in the past, loved it

Grace x

• Like 6

Given that the only trade is from holidaymakers passing on boats, it’s hardly surprising that it’s remained closed.

Even with a more sympathetically minded owner, I’d be surprised if it would be possible to run a successful business from there now, with current visitor numbers.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Given that the only trade is from holidaymakers passing on boats, it’s hardly surprising that it’s remained closed.

Even with a more sympathetically minded owner, I’d be surprised if it would be possible to run a successful business from there now, with current visitor numbers.

Sad I know, but it’s got to be faced that the pub trade is dying out as we know it. 
just too expensive. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

Sad I know, but it’s got to be faced that the pub trade is dying out as we know it. 
just too expensive. 

Not sure that the pub trade is dying out, but there is clearly a great deal of pressure on it at the moment.  All too often I read that eating in a pub is too expensive, but I personally think that folk need to be realistic in their expectations of what is a reasonable price to pay.

We had a burger each in The White Heron on Friday night.  I think the beef burger was £ 15.50 and the chicken one was £16.50, which I think is fair pricing.  As long as the prices were correct, a total of £32.  Of that amount, over £5.30 will go to the IR as VAT.  The remainder has to cover the ingredients, staff costs to cook and serve, energy costs to cook, light and dependent on the season, heat the pub, rent/rates and leave a little to make a profit.  Remember also that much of the trade in a Broadland pub is seasonal, so what profit they make, may need to carry them through the quieter winter months.

There was a post on a Facebook group last night suggesting that a burger in a pub should cost £7.  They’re more than that in McDonalds, served generally luke warm, in a cardboard box.  It does also make me wonder when I see people literally everywhere, wandering around with their caramel latte, with an extra shot, in a paper cup that’s cost in excess of £4, but baulk at paying £5.50 for a beer in a glass in the pub.

It will be a sad day if your prediction comes true.  I’m not a big drinker, but do enjoy a meal out when on our boat, not every night, but a couple of times a week.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

just too expensive. 

The reports say an 51% increase on last year in pubs closing in 2024, that is around 80 a month. When I look back on all the good times we had in pubs ie playing pool, skittles or darts, on all the new friends we made not to mention all the parties after the pub shut or even the birthday pub crawls we had I fear for the younger generation of today.

Food. (Look away now Clive). 

I have many nice meals in the White Heron since it reopened but last Thursday I dropped in for a pint and something to eat after playing 7 a side football. Not wanting a big meal I ordered a  £11 or £12 cheeseburger and chips from the childrens menu and it was awful, the burger was over cooked to the point of it being cremated and tasteless. Had this been my first visit there I would of returned it but as said I have had many good meals there so I let it slide. However if I see a kid being screamed at for not eating their burger I might, just might quietly say something to the parents.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2024 at 06:49, Gracie said:

I've attempted to climb the mill in the past but to no avail :default_biggrin: I remember it well, boats moored bow to stern and most people being friendly, chatting and just having a good time. I loved mooring there overnight, it was almost eerie in a good way, just the best memories all round. It's a shame something couldn't be made of it again for more people to enjoy such a unique and beautiful location

How fantastic was the view as boats came across looking for mooring space. We used to play name the boat or look for boats we've hired in the past, loved it

Grace x

I'm often told by my kids 'not to live in the past'.....

My reply is 'why not? I love it there'.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Back in December 2018 we took possession of our first Broads Cruiser and was taking it from Brundall to the mooring I had arranged at Horning. We moored up at The Berney Arms ready for crossing Breydon at first light in the morning and hoping for a good meal and a couple of beers before turning in for the night.

I was surprised there was no pub sign but tried the front door handle to find the pub open. What I found was a pub with a bar and furniture, all tidy, but no drinks or glasses. I called out but no reply, upstairs was also deserted. Very strange!

Resorting to the internet, I found another pub, The Fisherman's Inn, just around the corner of Breydon Water. I was informed it had reopened 2 weeks earlier after a 2 year closure and it had just been fully refurbished. We were made very welcome, with a roaring fire, great home made steak and kidney pie and a couple of pints. A great end to our first day.

Hadn't realised at the time, what a great broads cruiser we had purchased, having sailing yachts on the East Coast for many years and Dinghy racing since I was 10.

1,800 engine hours later; loving The Broads.

• Like 9

On 27/08/2024 at 17:29, Mouldy said:

Not sure that the pub trade is dying out, but there is clearly a great deal of pressure on it at the moment.  All too often I read that eating in a pub is too expensive, but I personally think that folk need to be realistic in their expectations of what is a reasonable price to pay.

We had a burger each in The White Heron on Friday night.  I think the beef burger was £ 15.50 and the chicken one was £16.50, which I think is fair pricing.  As long as the prices were correct, a total of £32.  Of that amount, over £5.30 will go to the IR as VAT.  The remainder has to cover the ingredients, staff costs to cook and serve, energy costs to cook, light and dependent on the season, heat the pub, rent/rates and leave a little to make a profit.  Remember also that much of the trade in a Broadland pub is seasonal, so what profit they make, may need to carry them through the quieter winter months.

There was a post on a Facebook group last night suggesting that a burger in a pub should cost £7.  They’re more than that in McDonalds, served generally luke warm, in a cardboard box.  It does also make me wonder when I see people literally everywhere, wandering around with their caramel latte, with an extra shot, in a paper cup that’s cost in excess of £4, but baulk at paying £5.50 for a beer in a glass in the pub.

It will be a sad day if your prediction comes true.  I’m not a big drinker, but do enjoy a meal out when on our boat, not every night, but a couple of times a week.

32 pound? That’s the equivalent of the younger sets two hours pay or near enough a quarter of their days pay. 
I agree that everyone has to earn a living  but that type of expense is just not worth it for those on a tighter budget. 
The bit that really applies to the Broads is that a visit to the supermarket,cook on board and drinks from the same place is going to be way cheaper in the long run.  And a lot less hassle trying to find a mooring near enough to the pub. 
I wish all the pubs well but all I can see in the future is a never ending cycle of opening and closing unless these pubs can find a niche in the local area that a goodly amount of the locals will use

• Like 5

On 27/08/2024 at 17:29, Mouldy said:

£16.50 for a burger! :default_unsure: Next you'll be saying you bought a bottle of wine for over £10.

Nothing wrong with a Tupperware box and some nice spam and pickle sandwiches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And that is not so cheap anymore. I am a great lover of The Tupperware Picnic.

I think Spam and Corned Beef are around £3.50. Love corned beef sandwiches but normally now have Red Salmon due to cardiac health.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

32 pound? That’s the equivalent of the younger sets two hours pay or near enough a quarter of their days pay. 
I agree that everyone has to earn a living  but that type of expense is just not worth it for those on a tighter budget. 
The bit that really applies to the Broads is that a visit to the supermarket,cook on board and drinks from the same place is going to be way cheaper in the long run.  And a lot less hassle trying to find a mooring near enough to the pub. 
I wish all the pubs well but all I can see in the future is a never ending cycle of opening and closing unless these pubs can find a niche in the local area that a goodly amount of the locals will use

No one is denying that cooking on board is a cheaper option, it always has been, but folk need to be realistic in their expectations when eating out.  Anyone who thinks that a burger, served in a pub, should cost £7, needs to give their head a wobble and think about what goes into the cost.  Eating out, when on holiday, has always been a treat to us and remains so.

Even takeaways are no longer cheap.  Fish and chips from our local chippy is about £11, a cost not helped by the fairly recent imposition of VAT on takeaway food.  Compare that to the cost of fish, chips and peas, served in a pub for circa £16.50 and the additional cost is easily justifiable by having it served to your table, on a plate, with no need to travel to collect it. 

9 minutes ago, maynard said:

£16.50 for a burger! :default_unsure: Next you'll be saying you bought a bottle of wine for over £10.

I don’t drink wine in a pub and as for spam, the only place for that is on the end of a fishing hook (without the pickle).

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, maynard said:

I have bought a bottle of wine for over a tenner :default_biggrin:

We use pubs as often as we can especially Broadland pubs but also we like a bank side picnic, not sure about spam and pickle sandwiches though. My boys love sitting on the bank eating burgers and hot dogs as long as I don't cook them :facepalm:

Grace x

• Like 1
  • Haha 3