Sad Sight

RumPunch

1 hour ago, maynard said:

Nothing wrong with a Tupperware box and some nice spam and pickle sandwiches.

Ya can't beat a good ol' spam fritter, fried egg and beans for a hearty (pun intended!) breakfast! :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

And that is not so cheap anymore. I am a great lover of The Tupperware Picnic.

I think Spam and Corned Beef are around £3.50. Love corned beef sandwiches but normally now have Red Salmon due to cardiac health.

Still reasonable if you make a tin last 3 or 4 days. :default_biggrin:

I'm rather fond of the tinned kipper fillets. Healthy and tasty and just over £2 a go. Great with a salad and no bones. Red salmon over £4.50 in Waitrose.

23 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Ya can't beat a good ol' spam fritter, fried egg and beans for a hearty (pun intended!) breakfast! :default_biggrin:

Chris

Chris, no!  Just no!   The mere thought of a spam fritter reminds me of the ones they used to serve at school dinners.  As long as I live, if I ever see another one again, it’ll be too soon!🤢

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

No one is denying that cooking on board is a cheaper option, it always has been, but folk need to be realistic in their expectations when eating out.  Anyone who thinks that a burger, served in a pub, should cost £7, needs to give their head a wobble and think about what goes into the cost.  Eating out, when on holiday, has always been a treat to us and remains so.

Even takeaways are no longer cheap.  Fish and chips from our local chippy is about £11, a cost not helped by the fairly recent imposition of VAT on takeaway food.  Compare that to the cost of fish, chips and peas, served in a pub for circa £16.50 and the additional cost is easily justifiable by having it served to your table, on a plate, with no need to travel to collect it. 

I don’t drink wine in a pub and as for spam, the only place for that is on the end of a fishing hook (without the pickle).

Philistine..... :default_biggrin:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

I have bought a bottle of wine for over a tenner :default_biggrin:

We use pubs as often as we can especially Broadland pubs but also we like a bank side picnic, not sure about spam and pickle sandwiches though. My boys love sitting on the bank eating burgers and hot dogs as long as I don't cook them :facepalm:

Grace x

I tend to go for the small tins of wine as there is usually only two of us for dinner. :default_mellow:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

For those of us ex army blokes of years gone by, who can recall the compo boxes (2, 4 and 10 man types)? I reckon I could become "Billy No Mates" on here if I mention some of the "recipes" that we came up with while on exercise. One of the more acceptable snacks was processed cheese (commonly known as "cheese possessed"!) with tinned jam spread over it between two slices of army bread!! And as I was part of a 4 man tank crew, the sandwich was invariably eaten with oily, greasy hands :default_rofl:

Sorry for the drift!

Chris

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

For those of us ex army blokes of years gone by, who can recall the compo boxes (2, 4 and 10 man types)? I reckon I could become "Billy No Mates" on here if I mention some of the "recipes" that we came up with while on exercise. One of the more acceptable snacks was processed cheese (commonly known as "cheese possessed"!) with tinned jam spread over it between two slices of army bread!! And as I was part of a 4 man tank crew, the sandwich was invariably eaten with oily, greasy hands :default_rofl:

Sorry for the drift!

Chris

Still can't resist pate on digestives - closest I can get to meat paste and biscuits, brown ;-)

9 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Sorry for the drift!

Chris

1 minute ago, RumPunch said:

Still can't resist pate on digestives - closest I can get to meat paste and biscuits, brown ;-)

Just off to look for a bucket!  Sorry guys, but they make my old school dinners seem almost palatable! 🤢🥴

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

One of the more acceptable snacks was processed cheese (commonly known as "cheese possessed"!) with tinned jam spread over it between two slices of army bread!!

Maybe you were just ahead of your time? Blackberry jam and cheese is popular in toasted sandwiches in the US these days - often with added bacon and/or jalapenos.

I tried it out of curiosity recently. It's not the worst thing I've eaten.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Just off to look for a bucket!  Sorry guys, but they make my old school dinners seem almost palatable! 🤢🥴

Bucket here...... how can I help?

• Haha 6

old school dinners, I can still remember the time at infants school, when despite my insistence and my sisters backup saying I was allergic to fish, they forced me to eat some, cue projectile vomiting across the dining hall, dead on target for the dinner lady who had forced me to eat it (and that was after just one mouthfull)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Sorry for the drift!

Chris

Biscuits, fruit, AB - sheer luxury !

Much tastier than the old Oatmeal blocks

Found a leftover pack from my cadet compo rations a while ago. Must have been over 20 years old at the time. Still tasted fresh !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dom said:

Maybe you were just ahead of your time? Blackberry jam and cheese is popular in toasted sandwiches in the US these days - often with added bacon and/or jalapenos.

I tried it out of curiosity recently. It's not the worst thing I've eaten.

Reminded me of one of the reasons I have never had any wish to visit America !!

Why do so many people over here think "if its American we have to do it"

Jeff

we used to go to the Berney Inn when we first got our broads boat back in 2002. Great place the mooring were always packed right along the quay at the weekends sometimes double moored.Pub food and drink was good. Remember when Chris took over the pub and it continued to be popular - great guy he sadly passed away. Since he passed away the pub declined - anyone remembers Chris???? The seat outside the inn is still there in memory of Chris...Dave R...Eastern Dawn

Hi Dave Yes i remember cris well he use to moor at the Bochume Arms he and his partner then toke over the Berney arms, Every time i moored there he all ways tried to get me Pis!!!ed on his home made Wine which was very good in moderation, Another fault he had was that he couldn't tell the time after 1030, good job it was downhill back to the boat. Another Cris that was there much earlier was ex Navy he couldn't tell the time eather, he had a trick in the ladys toilet operated by a string that pulled this big spider across the ceiling when young ladys went to the loo. Happy days providing the light above the door was on the pub was open, many happy memourse there, along with the Reedham Ferry on sunday lunch, the White Horse at Upton,with Winkle and his cook from the herring fleet that never made it back to the ship. No pubs like that these days all boring or is it me?. John

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Hi Dave R

Is that the Eastern Dawn from southwold on the walberswick side we often see at Hardly cross?

We often pass on the way there thinking there should be a mooring swap option. 

Hi Smoggy. Our boat Eastern Dawn is kept on the broads and has been for 15 plus years. She was kept at one time on our mooring W30 at Southwold on the walberswick bank. We sold that mooring many years ago but the new owner kept the name Eastern Dawn on the side of the pontoon and its still there. All the best Dave R Eastern Dawn - St Olaves

• Like 1

I remember Chris when he was at the beauchamp arms I can also just remember the two guys that ran the Berney before Chris they had a table in the corner where a plastic spider could be lowered down to the table one night the lady at that table didn’t think it was funny that cost them lots of free drinks. 

• Like 1

Yes remember the spider that came down when the chap behind the bar released the string. When Chris was the landlord he always used to put a dog biscuit under the table where we usually  sat to have a meal before we came in. On that evening someone else got to the table first before we arrived. Our Labrador Simba knew what the score was and dived under their feet to get to the biscuit - they were not amused and Chris thought that it was great - Chris always remembered never forgotten....Dave R

• Like 1

Hi When Cris(i still cant remember his surname) was a odd job man at the Beauchamp Arms he kept the grass cut and post replaced all along the river bank there where all ways lots of boats moored along their when he left to take on the berney arms they where just now nobody moors along there now, Great guy sorely missed, strange how one person can run a pub well and another dosn't although the biker couple that took over where good they weren't left alone to get on with it. Same problem with the Loaves and Fishes at Beccles owner interference. John

• Like 1

18 hours ago, annv said:

Hi When Cris(i still cant remember his surname) was a odd job man at the Beauchamp Arms he kept the grass cut and post replaced all along the river bank there where all ways lots of boats moored along their when he left to take on the berney arms they where just now nobody moors along there now, Great guy sorely missed, strange how one person can run a pub well and another dosn't although the biker couple that took over where good they weren't left alone to get on with it. Same problem with the Loaves and Fishes at Beccles owner interference. John

Chris Shepherd if memory serves. Sadly died but John and Tracy were friends of his and took over the pub. They made a good go of it too but the rent Hollocks demanded just didn't make it viable. They were playing more than the Locks at the time which was ridiculous. Very sad. 

• Like 1

The planners(Guess who!) won't allow change so a business can survive

in these times of constant change. I remember the Berney back in the '70s

and we used to moor there often. I fear it will go the way of The Pleasure

Boat in Hickling which is perhaps what Doctor P wants anyway for his NP

ideals! 

With The Berney being so remote, it could sustain many changes without it

distracting from it's visual looks from passing river traffic, and they are

almost the only ones who would see it with the exception of the odd visitors

coming on the the nearby train. JMO though.