Crossing The Deben Bar

Talking about tides, a question for you salty bottoms please :lol:

Today I have bought myself a copy of the East Coast long term tide tables for 2012, and at the side of each entry for 'high water' it gives an expected tide height, todays at Scarbrough was 5.5 mtr, but exactly where/how do they get these measurements from?

I remember reading something about the Broads tides being measured at Gorleston, but i have yet to see any kind of markers for tide measurement, and the harbour depth markers on the entrance to the new marina at Scarbrough are no where near 5.5 mtr deep, even at high water.

Julz :wave

There is a point at which the tides are measured Julz, you can find them in tidal almanacs but not always in tide tables, for local use the5.5m would be above chart datum so I assume the marina entrance dries if it is never at 5.5m

Thanks David thats answered Bill's question, as we had a suspicion that it may have been Whitby for the Scarbrough area :)

Actually, the new Marina here is a spur of the former old fishing harbour, the deep water channels are still there for the couple of trawlers that still use the port, but with the fishing industry in decline, the authorities spent a considerable amount of money over the past 5yrs upgrading the moorings for private leisure craft, including the instilation of pontoons and improved lighting bollards with shore power and fresh water facilities. The mouth of this harbour never dries, except for maybe a couple of times a year at exceptional low water heights, unlike Bridlington which dries altogether at every low tide.

:Stinky not many private salties leaving harbour today, its too bliddy cold and rough, although one of the trawlers has put to sea this afternoon at high water, and the inshore lifeboat was out on manouvers in the bay testing out their RIB :)

Julz :wave

That does look very flat Perry.

Have they changed the point of turn since last year? I seem to remember you has to kiss the rocks before turning to starboard on the way in. then again maybe it just felt like that, the sight of rocks looming ever closer is always a bit disconcerting.

I think this one moves a little Ian but you are right entering the Deben can seem a little disconcerting. Taking a course toward to beach rocks before bearing away on a straighter course is a little counter intuitive but a glance at the sounder gives that bit of confidence. I actually find exiting often worse when you are across to starboard anyway and then have yotties insisting on sailing across your bows. Clearly there is a limit you can move to starboard due to rocks and the beach and you then become a vessel constrained by its draft :naughty:

547706280_spsvq-L.jpg

• 1 month later...

In case anyone is going shortly just a reminder courtesy of ECP.

DEBEN ENTRANCE WARNING

A warning to all craft entering the Deben has been issued by Harbourmaster John White.

He says: “A good many yachts entering or leaving the Deben entrance are erring too far to the west between the W Knoll and the Mid Knoll buoys. On entering the river, when abreast the W Knoll, line the Mid Knoll up with something on the land and keep it in line until near that buoy! We have had several incidents lately with craft going aground on the west side of the channel through not observing this simple measure.â€