Broadland Memories new web site

Brian

• 2 months later...

A quick update on progress on the new website.

Firstly, a massive thank you once again to everyone who helped with donations towards the costs involved of the software and computer upgrades needed to keep on top of Broadland Memories and get the website updated and rebuilt.

I've been putting in as many hours as possible to get all of this sorted and I think I am there with the rebuild now. I had hoped to have got it uploaded this week, but the bank holiday weekend got in the way and I haven't quite finished checking everything through properly. Fingers crossed it will go live next week! The mobile version has been a bit of an issue as I would have to build maintain and update an entirely separate mobile website. As I said before, trying to get such a text heavy website transcribed onto pages a third of the width of the current site would be pretty much impossible. What I have (hopefully) managed to do is to ensure that all of the missing text and display issues which were being experienced on mobile devices are gone. Yes, you will have to zoom in to read the text on small mobile devices, but it does seem to be working quite nicely. I've largely had to check all of this myself, but have done so on multiple devices, different operating systems and internet browsers to try to ensure that there won't be any further issues.

Once it goes live, if anyone spots any errors or anomalies please, please do let me know.

Ultimately, I am going to look into moving the website over to Wordpress software which will be far more mobile friendly ..... a job for the winter months when I have a bit more time to spare! I am happy that I have now got it to display the content correctly and have taken the opportunity to display all of the gallery pictures a little bigger and to have a major revamp of the Then & Now section. It will also be easier for me to update and maintain now too and hopefully better for others to use.

I've also finally taken the plunge and set up a Facebook page for Broadland Memories ... if you like that sort of thing then please go and give it a like! :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Broadland-Memories/429309293913085

Thanks again .. and keep your fingers crossed for me next week! :eek:

Carol

• Like 4

OK ... the new Broadland Memories website has been uploaded this morning. I've not finished checking properly, but it all appears to be there. If you notice any issues, please let me know.

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/

Most importantly If you have any page other than the main Home page saved as your bookmark then you will need to go and re-save it as all other pages now have different page names/URL's. Similarly, the site search will not function properly until Google has indexed the new website. I hope that won't take too long!

Other than that, I hope it all works OK for everyone. The layout hasn't really changed much, although there are fewer but longer pages. I figured that scrolling isn't too much of an issue these days and, with generally faster internet speeds, loading the photos in the gallery pages shouldn't be a problem. The one major change is the "Then & Now" section which has been revamped to display all the photos at the same size as the gallery pages, and a town and village index has been added to those pages too.

Many thanks!

Carol

• Like 5

Many thanks for the very kind comments. :)

Whilst I would have been happier for it to be fully mobile friendly, I am at least relieved that it is all working properly now!

Once my rather neglected garden is tidy again I will be editing the 1978 cine footage from the Vardy Family collection ready for upload & working my way through some more old photos and postcards. I also finally checked out a couple more cine films last night which I bought last year but hadn't watched yet. Ooooh ... a very lovely little film from the late 1960s of a holiday on the motor cruiser York Rose plus some sailing footage from the late 1970s. I also have another 70s film on the way this week :grin:

Carol

• Like 2

Young Alan :wave  :wave

As you are now finished with the Orca rebuild, you are at the right age to learn gardening skills. I am sure Carol would be delighted to see you, and help her out! :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty:

I would gladly help, but, I still have, after a month, a very sore leg! :cry

cheers Iain.