Diamond Jubilee week dilemma!

Guest Anjix

Hi,

10 of us are setting off from Stalham on the 2nd of June in Ibiza and Noble Gem and for the first time we will be bringing the grandchildren aged 13, 10, 6 and 1. It is also the first time for my daughter and son in law. i'm a bit apprehensive about being around in what will be a busy time but this is the only time that we can get off work/school togther.

The dilemma is that I am considering going south or even trying to get through Potter for the first part of the week to try and get away from the crowds a bit, would this be advisable or will it be that busy up north?

I am also trying to find moorings, pubs and activities where the kids can enjoy themselves and would be very grateful if anyone could share any advice or experiences that might help us.

Many thanks! cheers

hi,

At 6' 10" for ibiza it will have to be a good day with a low tide to get under Potter, the southern rivers are always quieter than the northerns, due to the number of hire craft in the north.

Places to go with kids, if they like playing pool, everywhere, child amusements (take plenty of change) at the bridge inn Acle, New Inn Horning.

If they like nature and a bit of an adventure, Ranworth has a nature walk to the nature centre, and a nice church, which you can climb to the top ( great veiws, but a good climb up a spiral staircase, and then two verticle ladders to a trap door)

There is also a swimming pool in Horming, next to the Ferry Inn.

As you have two boats, to guarantee a mooring you can book a meal at the New Inn Horning, therfore knowing you will have a place for the night, ( the rack of BBQ ribs are fantastic)

Down south, you have a swimming pool at the Waveney River Centre, also with a childs play room (change needed).

I hope you have a great time.

:Stinky

We went out at Easter with 5 kids on board (11, 10, 8, 5 & 2.5)

(their third trip ,

A lot will depend on what your grandchildren like to get up to

(and especially the 13 year old as that can be a difficult age)

Places that ours always seem to like:

North:

Lion Inn at Thurne Dyke, larger family room with lots of toys etc for them to keep themselves entertained.

There is an amusement arcade there (but we have always managed to hide it from the kids!)

New Inn, Horning. Reserved Moorings available and an amusement arcade.

Ferry Inn, Horning, Kids play area (slides etc) and an amusement arcade.

Ranworth, they complained about missing the visitors centre this year, so they obviously liked that one.

( I took the eldest two up the church tower a couple of years back and they liked the adventure)

Coltishall, plenty of room to run around on the common.

Roys at Wroxham (ok really Hoveton) good value children's clothes in their Childrens World

and a very good toy shop (tell them to save their pocket money)

Bridge in at Acle, Reserved moorings available,

amusement arcade plus little quad bikes and mini golf course.

Stracey Arms, wind pump and shop.

Stalham, Museum of the Broads seemed to go down quite well last year.

Salhouse Broad, woods and grassland for them to explore,

plus ring the Bell for a table and they will pick you all up from the car park and drop you back afterwards

Kings Head at Ludham is worth a visit if only for novelty of the little train that runs around over the restaurant.

South:

Ship Inn at Reedham, play area in garden.

Beauchamps Arms, pool tables plus play area in garden.

Beccles, a chance to stretch the legs walking up to the town.

I hope you have a good trip!

Martin

Let's not forget:

Bewilderwood at Horning

Petits at Reedham-but probably the older one is too old for this.

Beccles also has a large playground

Oulton Broad-lovely park and one stop on the train to the beaches at Lowerstoft.

• 4 weeks later...

Back on line at last!

Thanks for the advice, we really can't wait for Saturday and those good folks at Richardsons tell us that the boats will be ready at 2pm - happy days!

I hope everyone has a great bank holiday cheersbar