Wacked and wacked again and again

Brigid-Mary

I forgot to mention if I'm moored up & I see a boater struggling I'll help with a line or like I did for one family on a horizon from bridge craft trying to moor at ludham bridge they brought the bow in I hoped on took the helm & morred the boat for them thIs was when we had curlew ....

I thank you would have done but instead we all had a cuppa & half a tin of post choc biscuits & chatted for more than an hour they left the mooring a couple hours later I got a beep from the horn & a wave from the family one of my fav highlights .....

A simple act can give boaters a knew look on things if newbies know there are some who help ....

But even a small knock from a boat can shake some people to the point of not wanting to return so even to moor at the side of the boat you just hit or stop mid river moor up to say sorry can make the world of difference

Jonny

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really Sorry to hear that Paul,

Maybe I was lucky then.

There is lots of talk about "Naming and Shaming" so I will "Name and Praise".

Rod, thanks for your comments, I am not into naming and shaming,as yet, but I do get angry with the attitude of some of the yards. I didnt ask these people to collide with me and damage my boat, so why should I be penalised for someone elses incompetance? Accidents do happen, of course they do, but even today I got stick from a yard because I had the audacity to ask for recompense for the folly of one of their hirers who said they were not even in Reedham at the time of the incident. Of course the hirer is not going to admit the fact.

One ray of light is that I had a relpy from one of the yards saying "sorry, nothing we can do as our client has no recollection of the incident"that is untill the yard got a call from an independant witness saying that he saw the whole incident!

I hope after this lot Rod, that I can name and praise, I am sure that there are many yards on the broads who are honest and up front,and I am sure there are many people who are out to screw the yards, I am certainly not one of them, but if I am at fault then I will put my hands up and say, pity some of the other bug-ers dont do that.

Paul

I may be a bit cynical, Paul, but I suspect you would have had a different attitiude from the yards had your boat been GRP not wood. All of the yards are dab hands at quick GRP repairs (they get plenty of practise!) but I bet not one of them has the sort of skills needed to repair your ship....

I may be a bit cynical, Paul, but I suspect you would have had a different attitiude from the yards had your boat been GRP not wood. All of the yards are dab hands at quick GRP repairs (they get plenty of practise!) but I bet not one of them has the sort of skills needed to repair your ship....

bit of wood + nails + west + paint = job done :naughty::naughty:

:norty::norty:

Tut, Tut Clive.... you naughty chap.

By the way, I saw your new craft out and about on the river in Reedham last weekend. First time I've seen her in the flesh and I reckon she looks great! Too many of the modern designs are just that - too modern. She seems to be bang up to date and sleak looking, but still have the lines of a proper broads cruiser. Well done to all concerned! :clap

I'm saying nothing Clive but I did see a big stack of old wooden pallets in your yard,,,,

Talking of Bumps Clive! one of your boats passed us at Ludham Tuesday afternoon and it had a rather large hole and big dent in the bow, the guy saw me looking and shouted something like he had hit a concrete post at Norwich, at least thats what it sounded like, what happened?????

Regards Frank,,,,,

I'm saying nothing Clive but I did see a big stack of old wooden pallets in your yard,,,,

Talking of Bumps Clive! one of your boats passed us at Ludham Tuesday afternoon and it had a rather large hole and big dent in the bow, the guy saw me looking and shouted something like he had hit a concrete post at Norwich, at least thats what it sounded like, what happened?????

Regards Frank,,,,,

Hi Frank, it could have been Bolero...

Bobella got clouted whilst moored up at Paddys lane last saturday even with me helping the couple moor they still managed to go astern with more revs than my paint and grp could handle :cry

But as the offending boat was a hire craft Bobella will be repaired ok

Andy

Just come back from a week on the Southern side and feel, as I have made comments about new hirers, I should also say that despite being surrounded by hire boats at Oulton Broad and them changing at least once, non of the helms gave me one ounce of concern right from the moment they entered the yacht station. In fact one made a particularly fine effort with wind across to stern moore between me and another hire boat with only about 1' to play with.

Was not hit by anyone all week but still maintain that the most likely person to hit you is someone with no experience and the most likely to have no experience is a hire boat skipper

• 4 months later...

Would you believe it!

Just got the new boat launched on Monday, got all systems working correctly and decided to get away for a couple of days. Opted to go fresh water side as we are not too familiar with Dody Lee yet. Arrived on Reedham Quay Late morning yesterday and got whacked again this morning!!

Not only that but the boat that hit us this morning is owned by the same company as the boat that hit us in Reedham in May. Hows that for brinksman ship,must have been driven by barny rubble from the flintstones.

I already have the hire company in question going to court after the last incident.

Paul

Sorry to Hear that Paul, I hope they have not done too much damage. I expect it was a private boat in disguise, given that hire boats never hit anything. :norty::naughty:

Can't think who the hire company may be but they don't strike me as been the most likely to own up to anything, especially given reports about them in the past. :naughty:

You have been really unlucky to get hit twice on the Southern Broads by the same yard. Given how far you are from Wroxham and the time of the year I am surprised there are any of their boats down South.

Hello Paul,

Sorry to hear of you problem with the hire company and their attitude regarding your damage.

We had an issue whilst moored at Bramerton whilst one of our ownners was on board. The company involved settled very quickly after the repairs were undertaken by BMS.

We were advised maby years ago when we joined our syndicate never to moor at Reedham, I have moored there but not over night and have taken care on mooring, that concrete wharf/metal leaves a lot to be desired.

Regards

Alan

I don't think that this coment is going to be wildly popular, but here goes.

The Norfolk broads, generally speaking, is a holiday area where most people learn how to handle a boat. It follows therefore that there will always be a great number of novices about. Novices get it wrong quite often. They hit boats, sometimes quite hard. That's the way it is!

You don't want your boat to be hit? Well take it somewhere where the novices are few and far between.

Try the Caladonian canal where novices lose a day of their holiday for training.

If you keep a boat on the broads be aware it WILL be hit, sometimes quite hard.

Now, as far as the people who "Hit and run" this is a sad sign of the times! They'd do the same if they were in a car!

One final observation though. I was in the cabin of a boat that my father was taking upstream under Ludham Bridge. I'm not sure what happened, but dad clipped another boat. The chap onboard the boat first hurled abuse at my (83 year old) father, then demanded that we moored up to have a "chat". He stormed up as we were coming in to moor. That's when I came up onboard to step off with a rope. Suddenly he lost interest, and went back to his boat. By the time I'd tied up ours and walked towards his, he had untied and gone! He was more than happy to take on a Private Godfrey lookalike, less so anybody any younger.

I totally agree with your comments JTF. My problem is with the fact that whilst accidents do happen, and can happen to us all, I find it very distastfull of the attitude of both the hirers and the people who hire the boats out. Most people are quite genuine and will hold thier hands up and say 'Yep,screwed up that time, lets sort it out' but the people I have dealt with over the last few months have been both arrogant and abusive, that attitude sticks in my throat.

I will not, in future, venture up the fresh side, as I have been burned too many times now, maybe in the winter when there are sensible people about, but no more during the infestations of the morons!!!

I would rather put up with the dubious antics of the WAFI's on the Orwell or the Solent than venture to the broads any time soon.

Having said all that, Dody Lee performed well and I must get used to the fact that she puts up a bit more wash than Brigid Mary did.

Paul

I will head east in future Perry, Promise!!!!!

Paul, Hi

You really have been unlucky! And I mean that because it really is the cast of the dice as to whether you or some other poor unfortunate gets hit.

We've been on the North Broads twice this year, in April and September and on the South Broads for the rest of the time (nearly 3 months so far).

In all that time we've only been hit once, at Acle, in a 25+kt wind, by a poor old couple who'd never been out in a boat before... :cry

I photo'd the damage and rang up the boss of the company immediately.

He agreed that:

1) They probably shouldn't have let them out in the conditions and

2) To repair whatever damage they'd done..... which was done when we next passed by the yard.

What can one learn from this? To get to the top of the company as quickly as possible! If possible I find out on the Internet just who does what and then ring the "Boss" directly, at home if necessary when I can source the number!

Hello Paul,

I agree with John that you have been unlucky.

We have been hit only twice by other boats and we had one owner hit boats opposite our mooring !!! :cry in the boats history of 12 seasons whilst being moored both North and South. Ranworth Breeze opperates for 40 weeks of the year.

I am sure that like ourselves that you go up top to help people come in to moor to try and give them an hand and help keep your own boat from being knocked.

More and more crews have their camera's on hand these days and as John says a little bit of proof goes a long way towards getting your point across.

Regards

Alan

Hello young Donald. (hows Geoff by the way?) I've been whacked loads of times I seem to bounce out of the way when it happens. I thought it was part and parcel of the the whole scheme of this boating mullarky! Just a roll of the eyes to the offender is enough to make them say sorry. But what I will say is that the majority of personages that do said cuffing are OWNERS who seem to think they can get their craft into gaps that a hirer would be too scared to attempt! two guns