Advice needed: overnight mooring near Potter Heigham

LondonChris

Hello chaps,

We're hiring a cruiser from Herbert Woods at Potter Heigham on Friday June 1st for a long weekend. It's the jubilee bank holiday, so I expect the Broads will be packed. We have to pick up by 5pm to avoid sleeping in the boat yard over night, apparently but unfortunately half our party will be arriving later than that.

So what I'm looking for are recommendations for potential mooring sites say within 30 minutes of the yard (actually could be further away since it is getting dark later now) where we can meet them and moor up for the night. So it must be

1. Accessible by road with overnight parking

2. Ideally it would feel as if we out in the country, rather than moored in town, though I realise I might be asking for the moon on a stick, there.

3. Have enough moorings that there is a decent chance of being able to find space for a 7 berth olde style hire cruiser (sorry don't have the exact length) at 6 or 7pm so we can arrange to meet there.

Any advice, including "you'll be lucky" gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris

OOOHHHHH....

That day is the start of the Thurne Mouth Open Regatta! It's on for 5 days this year too......

My advice is to stay in the yard overnight and get underway real early on Saturday morning, say 07.00.

You should then get by before they all get out littering the rivers.. :lol: I mean wake up... :norty:

You'll need to clear Acle if going that way or St Bennets Abbey if going the other by around 09.00 to

be reasonably sure of a clear-ish run.

Get out early enough and you could head down to Womack Water (Ludham Staithe) which is a nice spot and about 1/2 a mile out of Ludham village, but remember to have a way of contacting the latecomers to tell them where to find you...

Mooring there is stern-to so the size of the cruiser doesn't really count.

You can never be sure to get into any specific mooring on the Broads!

And as Paul said, if all else fails you could always head back to the boatyard!

I'm suprised no one has mentioned going the other way, if you can get under Potter bridge why not go up to the Pleasure Boat or Martham, lots to visit that way too.

there is lots to visit, if only potter had a bigger bridge! 1 foot more would make a massive difference.