Your picture, displayed on NBN, free of cost!

Dan

Whatho Everyone

After several months of the How Hill gardens shot, you might have noticed a new picture appearing at the top of the forum page now.

It got us thinking.... it would be nice to have photos on hand that we could use to change this more frequently. Does anyone have some snaps of their own that they think capture the magic of the broads that would sit well in this space that they would be happy for us to feature?

Ideally the picture needs to be 650 pixels x 250, or would need to be able to crop to this size quite nicely (we can do this bit if you like), and we will need space for us to add the NBN logo etc (though if anyone is a graphic designer & could help improve this we'd be keen to hear!).

Fortunately, incase there is a poor response to our plea, I have a library containing 234780421700579428531361 pictures of hireboats which can be called on if required! :naughty:

All the best

Dan

Wow, that was quick.... :)

I like the idea of a changing banner pic. You tend to not notice the same one after a week or two.

Some nice variations in those pics too.

Didn't the banner pic used to get changed quite regularly once upon a time?

As Trev said, feel free to trawl through any of my posts in the photography thread and use what you like.

May be an idea to put the snappers name in the bottom corner of the pic too?

Great pics everyone, keep them coming cheersbar

Mark - yes, the picture was changed in the past, though I'm not sure it ever became very regular really - I can only recollect a handful of images that got rotated a few times, hence why the call for and/or permission for a greater number to be collated so that this can actually be achieved more permanently.

It seems my mass of hireboat pictures can stay locked away for a little while at least! :roll:

Dan

If the forum PHP code supports animated GIFs in the header, then you could always try this approach...

(apologies to NorfolkNog, I tried to incorporate your sunsets and snow scenes into this test as well, but stretching them to 650 wide made them too pixelated and didn't do them justice).

post-669-136713921352_thumb.gif

Hi Strowager

No probs, I could supply a bigger version (I shrank them quite a bit) but I think what you are getting at is the format – they suit more of a 4:3 format rather than ‘wide screen’ if that makes sense???!!!

I’ll have a browse for some which might suit a wider format!!

cheersbar

Yes, fine Barry, they'd crop to widescreen quite well.

I don't want to stick my oar in too much though, my posts were just intended as food for thought in response to Dan's request for pics.

I'm just a poster on here...

No, Dan asked for 650 x 250 or croppable to that size and aspect ratio ( 2.6 to 1 ).

The PHP software thumbnails photos down to the size you said, but the header image is 650 x 250.

It's surprising how tricky it can be to find wide aspect ratio photos in anyone's collections, we tend to fill the frame when taking photos.

Web pages often call for overly wide or tall aspect ratio image compositions.