New to the Broads

Phil

Hi

I have just bought my first boat. However I wanted a smaller one, but after taking my WAG of a daughter to view it, I ended up buying one twice as dear and twice as big!!!!

I don't know anything about boats, but it looks good fun. Can't wait to get started. Any hints or tips, greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

I have bought a Bayliner 3055 sports cruiser, although what you do with it I don't know!!! Looks like i'm going to have many a good night sitting on it in my mooring plot!!!

Just wondering where the nicest places are to visit along the broads?

cheers

Hi Phil, Sure you will love boating once you start to get involved but would really recommend that you do a quick Google for RYA instruction and book both you and your WAG Daughter on a course. It will massively enhance your enjoyment of the boat and quite possibly save you a fortune in GRP repairs along the way.

Sure there will be a few suggestions as to instructors along shortly.

Where are you Moored?

Welcome, and I reiterate Ian’s suggestion, get yourselves on an RYA course, at the very least an inland helmsman course, it will help you no end and has been said already, soon pay for itself in reduced gelcoat repairs. The 3055 is a nice piece of kit but quite light with a fair amount of windage so a bit of gentle practise parking it will also pay off.

The boat is on the South Broads at the moment, but it's going to taken to the North Broads by a Helsman as i'm not too sure about Breydon Water and the bridges. I will go with him to hopefully learn a lot.

Thankyou for your other suggestions, I will be looking into taking a course and getting in some parking practice!! Also I learnt never to take my daughter with me again!! :lol::lol::lol:

The boat is on the South Broads at the moment, but it's going to taken to the North Broads by a Helsman as i'm not too sure about Breydon Water and the bridges. I will go with him to hopefully learn a lot.

Thankyou for your other suggestions, I will be looking into taking a course and getting in some parking practice!! Also I learnt never to take my daughter with me again!! :lol::lol::lol:

I bet you have one hell of a 'helsman'. All the best to you, i hope you enjoy and get good use from your boat.

Hiya Phil,

One thing to remember is that when steering a boat, it's the back end ( stern ) that moves around, not the front ( bows ) like a car, so give yourself plenty of time when turning. You'll soon get the hang of it.

Regards

Baz :Stinky