It almost went to pot - Richardsons to the rescue

Picture the scene, your next pay packet which contains your final instalment for your boating holiday is due on the same day the balance of your holiday is due. This is fine, you've worked this all out to make sure everything is in place, until........ Work tells you that due to an admin error and a change in processes you will now be paid two weeks later than expected, 10 days after your holiday balance is due!!!

I really didn't need this, here I am worried that I am going to have to cancel the holiday and something of been looking forward to since November last year was going to vanish before my eyes. That was until I called Richardsons, I explain the situation, I wait for them to say you'll either have to cancel or change the booking date, the response I get though? "Not a problem Mr Reeve, we'll put a note on file and look forward to seeing you at the end of September."

I've always said I liked Richardsons as a boatyard, now I love em, and unless something really crazy happens while we're on Broadsman3 will be rebooking with them on our final day for 2013, service like that is rare these days and worth every penny.

Nice one!

I bet you are going to enjoy your holiday better knowing that Richardson's have helped you out of your situation.

Good business for them as well word of mouth advertising is always the best and who can not be impressed by a company going that extra mile.

As you will have seen there is plenty of competition on the Broads at the moment and discounts for late bookings.

Enjoy your holiday.

Regards

Alan

Nice one!

I bet you are going to enjoy your holiday better knowing that Richardson's have helped you out of your situation.

Good business for them as well word of mouth advertising is always the best and who can not be impressed by a company going that extra mile.

As you will have seen there is plenty of competition on the Broads at the moment and discounts for late bookings.

Enjoy your holiday.

Regards

Alan

Indeed, working in a service industry myself I'm forever talking about "World class service" and so far without even setting foot on the boat the yard have been helpfull and have gone that extra mile.

For me this is almost a homecoming of sorts as the first boating holiday I went on (some 26 years ago) was out of Richardsons, and the first boating holiday I organised as an adult (about 8 years ago) was again out of Richardsons, this will make boating holiday number three as an adult and about number 10 overall and it never fails to surprise me how much even a couple of years away shows up how much has changed.

I think the only thing I would do differently for next year is to aim for 2 weeks rather than just one (or at the very least 10 days)

Stu

Hi Stu,

Your story is the sameas most people that have taken to slow pace of the Broads and keep returning over the years.

We first started coming down to the Broads in 2001 after buying a share in our boat Ranworth Breeze. We had been looking for a share in a narrow boat at the time but were drawn to the Broads after attending the 2000 Boat Show, at the time there were only about two boat share companies on the canals and again two on the Broads.

In September it may be still busy being people have been holding back hoping for beter weather later in the season, this being the case are you sticking to the Northern Rivers or are venturing South?

What ever you do take it slow and enjoy it.

Regards

Alan

In September it may be still busy being people have been holding back hoping for beter weather later in the season, this being the case are you sticking to the Northern Rivers or are venturing South?

What ever you do take it slow and enjoy it.

Regards

Alan

The plan is to stick to the North as although I know you can do North to south and back within a week I don't want to feel like we're rushing to get everywhere. Besides although I think most people would agree that for the most part the south is the prettier end of the broads, the North has just as much to offer, you just need to be willing to seek it out, for instance South Walsham is a lovely little hideaway...if you can get the timing right to get a good mooring of course.

Our main thing though is food, always has been as both my other half and I as well as the other two people who are coming are a little bit food obsessive, so if anybody can point out some nice restaurant, local food producers or a place to get a good pint of real ale, all suggestions are very much welcome :)

Stu

Thanks for the positive comments, we do try and be helpful where we can...

On another positive note, the weather is getting better too :dance

Lets hope for more of the same the first week in October.... although to be fair even if the weather is less than ideal I know this will be fabulous, it is after all my first holiday in roughly 3/4 years

although not vital to enjoy a broads holiday, we had a few requests for sunshine on our Facebook page so we all got together last week and sorted it out, sorry it took a while but we have been busy. (we have just finished Carousel 2 which is due out on her maiden hire today)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Stu,

Good job you are sticking to the Northern Broads; work on Vauxhall Bridge at Yarmouth is due to start in September through to January 2013 according to the Broads Authority, delays are expected there will be a safety boat under the bridge and scaffolding is to be erected. It is known how much this will effect the air draft on the bridge at tigh tide.

Regards

Alan

Hello Jill,

I emailed Tim Ellis yesterday or Monday to ask if he knew by how much the scaffolding would effect the air draft level of the bridge at high tide.

At 9ft 8 inches we can struggle at Yarmouth at the best of times and have at times only had 3 to 6 inches of clearance at slack water.

I would assume that if sheets are under the bridge/scaffolding just to catch any debris it must be a minimum of 3 to 6 inches but could under draw the bridge by a lot more.

Regards

Alan

• 5 weeks later...

Well got my 2 week reminder email from Richardsons today WOOO HOOOO

Slightly less WOO HOOO is I (read as my housemate) has filed away our booking paperwork and I can't find the blasted thing for love no money. Do we think not having it is going to cause a problem, or could Richardsons get a replacement out to me before the time we go?

Give them a ring, tell them you can't find it.

I am sure lots of other people have arrived with the details still on the kitchen table :oops:

:Stinky

Twitter has come to the rescue, the lovely folks at Richardsons have come to the rescue once again and confirmed to make sure I have ID and the likes to prove I am who I say I am and that will do for them. Which is yet again another show of brilliant customer service by them. Oh and can I just say. 10 Days to go :) (well 10 and a bit)