A week darn sarf

RedRover

Just spent a nice week down the southern broads,3 nights at the OBYS with the thursday night powerboat racing to watch.

Weather was nice and warm and sometimes Hot with little or no wind at times,train to Lowestoft to trawl the shops there and walk on the seafront and a paddle in the sea,and the proverbial bag of chips.shame there won't be an air show next year.

Olive took 3 big bags of assorted dollies she won to the local animal park to raffle off in aid of the animals upkeep.

Lots of boats around as usual for this time of year.

One hireboat had there ropes tied to tightly and amid frantic efforts to free the boat from strangling itself finally managed to free them with a big bounce into the water.

Nearly all boats had someone fishing from them,wonder how many had licences.

There was a 65 foot widebeam narrowboat tied alongside which came from Dover.(rather them than me)

Had a carvery in the newly opened Wherry Hotel and very nice it was too,all for £6.49.

Encountered many,many boats mostly private racing around as if there was no tommorow,why do they do this? the wash from them was uncomfortable.

Friday we decided to try to get in at Geldeston (Locks inn) free moorings and found there was only one other boat staying the night.but lots of dayboats,canoes,dingies you name it turned up to try the pub grub.

We had a snack if you could call it that,i had a ploughmans lunch Wow it was huge and good value if a tad dear at £7.99.

in the evening we went back in to sample the scampi and chips,nice.It was curry night and there were plenty of people turning up to eat it.

The local beers were popular too,I had something different,dandelion and burdock and ginger beer.(it was my non alcoholic night.) well thats my excuse. :cry

Around 9pm a small boat came up with about 7 males in it all with a bottle or tin in there hands and they came back to the boat at 11.30 all a bit tipsey and laughing,hope they got back ok. :Stinky

Saturday we arrived at Beccles Town Quay where we got a free night with the Loyalty Card.(10 nights and get 1 free)

You can also get BTopenzone Wifi or Bt Fon there as well if you are a BT customer which is a bonus.

Sunday we travelled back home where we saw the most boats i have seen out on the southern rivers for a very long time we must have passed at least 70 boats on our journey back not counting those moored up.

all in all a very enjoyable cruise.