A Week or so In North Essex

pks1702

And not a White Stiletto in sight ;)

I posted a few phone pictures while we were on the move but now back a few more.

We had decided this year to give the continent a miss and explore some of the places closer to home that were on our list.

Had a great run down down to Burnham a very quaint little place that comes alive when Yacht Racing is happening as it was the Saturday PM we arrived. Burnham Yacht Harbour is to be thoroughly recommended the staff are first class. The bonus is that the Swallowtail Restaurant is also excellent, we had two meals and could not fault the quality or service.

We stayed a few days and thoroughly explored the place, the weather was very kind given our summer up to that point.

From there we headed up to Fambridge Yacht Haven which can be accessed from circa 1.25 hours after MLWS. Again the staff were very accommodating (something we found in general in North Essex). Fambridge YH is very quiet with great views and just the Oyster Catchers and other birds life making the noise. The Ferry pub is excellent very homely with good food & beer. From here we took the tenders up to Battlesbridge a trip of 1.25 hours each way, the river was teaming with fish in the upper reaches. Our navigation was stopped by a weir and I had no desire to go White Water Rafting!

From Fambridge we headed up the Roach which has shelter in almost every direction and picked up a buoy at Paglesham. We enjoyed an idyllic evening here popping into the pub Jamie Oliver's parents run which was a 10 minute walk from tendering ashore it got a thumbs up from all of us. It was a very peaceful night with just the trickle of the flowing tide under the hull and a very still morning. At 0812 (2012) we listened to see if we could here any bells being rung to celebrate the opening of the Olympics sure enough in the distance we could here two churches joining in.

We headed back to Burham for a couple more days before taking a weather window (the best we could see) back up to Ipswich. The West forecast wind had blown East our journey was a beam sea which was uncomfortable buit was only going to deteriorate over the following days. Not wanting to head back to Shotley we had a couple of days at Ipswich to round of our holiday.

A few photos strung together.

A few higher res images

Don't cut the Channel to port at BYH....

i-nhdw6jV-XL.jpg

Entrance with Sunset Point (the cage) on the left this has seats and it a popular place to watch the sun go down

i-m3B42xf-XL.jpg

Burnham

i-Wx92RqZ-XL.jpg

Broads Cruiser complete with Furuno Radar, Simpson Davits, and a mansized Windlass :o

i-cbFvq3G-XL.jpg

New BBQ getting an Airing. It all folds down to go in a carrying bag which fits in the lazerette

i-d4Bb6kw-XL.jpg

Fambridge Sunset

i-QHTG5zf-XL.jpg

Low Tide at Fambridge YH

i-Jdc8tSK-XL.jpg

Heading into Battlesbridge

i-tjVGxj7-XL.jpg

Seals at Paglesham

i-rqRw9dF-XL.jpg

Our buoy was a Hawser with various pick ups, it looked a dogs breakfast but we were going nowhere! What do you expect for a 'deep sea' including half a dozen eggs....

i-tN85jBk-XL.jpg

Jamie's Parents 'Gaff'

i-K7trtRg-XL.jpg

The food was not half bad; I just had Bread & Cheese :liar

i-q4LXPJv-XL.jpg

i-LSgcm6R-XL.jpg

Paglesham Sunset

i-xswswcL-XL.jpg

Peaceful

i-vjGhx7J-XL.jpg

i-jV3vSps-XL.jpg

Very Sheltered anchorage at Devils Reach