Advice for buying a boat

brandenjg

Hi guys

I've found a boat on ebay that i like the look of, but after doing a quick google search i found some info that worries me on the other norfolk broads forum. . Does anyone think It's worth even viewing the boat bearing in mind that some work must of been done on the boat in the last 3 years to get it up to scratch.

Thanks in advance

Brandenjg

It looks like it would suit you, it is a boat with a trailer and windows that dont leak which you can see out of.

I dont know the condition or value of the outboard..

It could do with you weaving some magic on it, but as you like fishing I guess it is what you need.

You have to put your own value on it but bear in mind the resale as it has been chopped.

I would say Clives advice is spot on.

It floats (check) It goes (Check) and it does what you want it too. For Broads Fishing use it looks like it will do the job but it could do with someone who knows what they are doing having a peep at the modification to make sure it is not going to break in half or sink while you are asleep.

A boat to buy to use rather than invest in. How much is it worth to you? is the biggest question.

It really depends on what the reserve is I guess.

A few other things to bear in mind if you go to view:

1. The description says £350 has been spent replacing the windows. I dunno if it's just me but the photos of the cabin look like there are puddles on the vinyl upholstery.

2. The descritpion also says £250 has been spent antifouling. Only one photo shows anything that looks like new antifoul, so they are either old photos or only one side has been done.

3. The engine I would say is probably over 30 years old. I had a 9.8hp Mercury that looked similar a while back that was a good runner, but getting spares proved almost impossible.

Only a good look at it in the flesh will tell you if she's what you want, but as the auction reserve has not yet been met, there is no way of knowing what they actually want for her.

Although I haven't surveyed it, I can't see that the chopped out cabin will significantly affect the stiffness of the hull (it might be a different matter if there wasn't still the rear deck and outboard well). It will however significantly affect the value, as Clive has already mentioned.

Personally, I wouldn't want to pay more than about £500 for it, and to be honest, I'd probably just carry on looking. There are a lot more boats for sale at the moment than there are people who want to buy them, so if you persevere you should be able to find a much better boat to spend your money on (top tip, empty projects like this one are money pits, much better to pay a bit more for a boat that's already equipped and ready to go).

As Jill linked in her post, it's a Europa 4, centre cockpit version.

Built in the 1970's, so about 40 years old now.

Jones Boatyard has some more info on them: http://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sal ... -sale.html

As has already been said on here also, it may have a high reserve, going by the spiel in the advert. I'd say it's not worth much more than it has reached already, going by current market values for such craft, and that's without the non-standard alterations.

The reserve is £400 i've been told and I've been given a buy it now price which is within my budget (although i would still try to haggle). I'm heading to yarmouth for the festival tomorrow so plan to go and view the boat. Things mentioned like the antifouling and damp cushions are something i immediately noticed aswell which is why i'm a little wary of the boat.

I was after a boat from a norfolk boat selling company (not sure if i can post the name or not) for £1250 which sold before i had enough, but when i saw the europa on ebay at about half the price lets say the bargain hunter in me was intrigued.

A comment i found from a google search about the exact boat and engine said that it would need £2000 work to get it up to bss standard which i definately dont like the sound of.

I've given myself a target of getting a new boat by the 27th september as thats when my mooring payment is next due so it will be easier to add on the extra cost for a bigger boat before the payment comes out.

Nothing wrong with mentioning brokers names, please feel free. As you seem to be amassing a budget for this why not continue to do just that and put yourself in a position to get something that will be safe, reliable and suit you better. You already have a boat that will keep you on the water until you can achieve that goal and even if it takes you until the spring of next year it’s not so long. On the other hand I can just about remember the impatience of youth so I do understand where you are coming from :grin:

I viewed the boat today and must say It's alot nicer in person than in the photos. So much so, that after giving it a once over and with a bit of haggling theres been a handshake, an agreed price and am getting it next weekend cheers

The back section which has been removed for fishing is a very clean job. Reinforced then rubber sealed around the edges. My plan for the back is to get a sunbrella enclosure made for it so i can fish but also let friends sleep in the back. It needs a new wooden door and the canvas doesn't look as bad as i was expecting but will probably get a new one made in the centre section. As fas as the bottom of the boat is concerned, It looks 100% watertight. Although there is a designated hole with a black spinning section in it which im not sure what it's for.

I also managed to persuade the seller to tow it down to norwich for me, so I'll be able to see it straight on the water before money exchanges hand (If it isn't watertight I'll soon know). It's just a case of paying a deposit on monday ensuring all paperwork is in order ready for the water then I'm sure I'll upload pics as and when i do work to get it looking good.

Thank you for your varied advice, Lets hope it all goes well. :Stinky

just one little thing to look at is where the outboard clamps/bolts to the transom.

its a bolser (or similar) chore between the inner and outer GRP, through the bolt holes and there is likely a drain bung water ingress can turn the chore material into mush. then when attaching yr outboard the inner and outer GRP will compress, starcraze for certain possibly crack but worst of all the outboard will not be secure and the transom will twist and flex as you use the boat.

If this is the case you will need to cut open the GRP on the inside (under the splash well) remove all the wet mush, replace with a good bit of ply and re-glass. Its not as hard as it might sound.

I had a little Europa (2+2 or something like) that that i sold last year (pictures are on here somewhere as i asked for help on here as i had no idea what type of boat it was) shame really as it would have really suited you with open rear cock pit and a lot of rod holders and a good canopy. I sold it with a 20hp evinrude 2stroke for £600 I really wanted it out of the garden!! anyway what im getting at is that i did the transom repair on that so its likely that this one is in a similar state.

As for the boat safety stuff, dont be fooled by people who want to rip others off, there are so few systems on those boats that you could replace fire extinguishers/blanket, battery cables and isolator, Fuel hose and tank and some labels for around the £200. Any gas on board? I doubt it there is no galley!

BTW I saw you and your boat in the thorpe island basin a week or so back when i was tinkering and trialing a classic Albatross speed boat, I would have stopped to say hello but the bloody thing is direct drive has no gear box, so no out of gear nor reverse!!!! i dont like it!

Good luck with your purchase and hope you enjoy it!

From your description, the hole with the black spinning wheel sounds like the speed log transducer to me.

Why not start a new thread with loads of photos for all the work etc you will be doing? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested.

DISASTER, put the boat into the water today and could hear rushing water. I opened a hatch and the boat was filling up with water :cry So i jumped into the broads (in my boxers) to find the leak. Turns out even though I told the bloke about 3 times, it turned out he hadn't put the draining plug back in. I quickly got back on the boat, grabbed the plug and screwed it in. After 2 hours with a milk carton i drained all the water out and she was fine. The next issue was towing on the water. I started with a Y bridle which resulted in the boat swining left and right non stop so had to resort to the branden way. I tied the two boats together side by side and went the river like that. Many funny looks later we got to the mooring safely. :grin:

DISASTER, put the boat into the water today and could hear rushing water. I opened a hatch and the boat was filling up with water :cry So i jumped into the broads (in my boxers) to find the leak. Turns out even though I told the bloke about 3 times, it turned out he hadn't put the draining plug back in. I quickly got back on the boat, grabbed the plug and screwed it in. After 2 hours with a milk carton i drained all the water out and she was fine. The next issue was towing on the water. I started with a Y bridle which resulted in the boat swining left and right non stop so had to resort to the branden way. I tied the two boats together side by side and went the river like that. Many funny looks later we got to the mooring safely. :grin:

Why did you launch it before you had the engine all sorted and ready to go?

I was offered a new job today and I start on saturday so had to get the boat on the water before the weekend. In theory I could of put my outboard onto the boat but I felt alot more comfortable using my small boat to tow. I assessed my options and the one i went with seemed the safest and it turned out to be just that. If there was a public slipway closer to norwich city centre i could of rowed it instead( Although this would of taken a very long time).

I was offered a new job today and I start on saturday so had to get the boat on the water before the weekend. In theory I could of put my outboard onto the boat but I felt alot more comfortable using my small boat to tow. I assessed my options and the one i went with seemed the safest and it turned out to be just that. If there was a public slipway closer to norwich city centre i could of rowed it instead( Although this would of taken a very long time).

Ok, well if that what you had to do.

If the outboard in the eBay add came with the purchase please take care putting it on, it wont be light and its tricky in the water. if you now have both boats in the island basin them please do not attempt to fit the engine alone as it would be so easy for you and engine to end up in the water and no one would know you had gone in.

i might sound like a old woman (hopefully i look more like a 31yr old man) but i things can so easily go wrong.

I started with a Y bridle which resulted in the boat swining left and right non stop so had to resort to the branden way. I tied the two boats together side by side and went the river like that. Many funny looks later we got to the mooring safely. :grin:

I wondered what that method was called,

on the Bure we use this method, I am not sure of the name :naughty::naughty:

post-503-136713940128_thumb.jpg

I tied the two boats together side by side and went the river like that. Many funny looks later we got to the mooring safely. :grin:

Towing alongside is the easiest method if you have sufficient width of river as it allows you to steer both boats from one helm.

Just remember to put on bow and stern lines (to keep the boats together) and bow and stern springs to stop the tow surging forwards or backwards.

Towing alongside at sea can be more difficult, especially if there is a rough sea running.

I found this out the first time I ever had to tow in another boat when out in Greece...

Towing astern when the tow has no steering (or no one to steer) doesn't work!

Also when towing astern in a seaway it is best to have quite a long tow-rope as it lets both boats alter course to ride the waves.

On the Broads I would always go for an alongside tow unless the river was just too narrow.

When I last got towed in from Thurne to Horning the guys from the yard used an alongside tow to Horning and then went for an astern to get us up the dyke to the yard.