Domestic Fridges

Hi Folks! I need some advice here! I'm thinking about changing my old Electrolux Gas fridge as it's on it's last legs, I got talking to a guy at our Marina and he reckons I can use a normal 240v domestic fridge just off an invertor all I need to do is check hoe many Watts it is and use an invertor a little higher, I have shore power but I just can't see how an invertor could run a domestic fridge without killing the battery in a very short time, if it was that easy everyone would be running domestic fridges on their boats, Ideal for me as a 1k Invertor is around £100 and the same for an A+ rated fridge and thats around £300 cheaper than the boat fridges I've seen, so any advice on this please,,,

Regards Mowjo,,,

it will be fine when plugged into shore power, but then you may as well just use the shore power. Also fine with engine running but you will need a good bank of batteries if you are going to leave it on for any length of time without some sort of battery charging.

You are right in your assumption that it probably not the most efficient way to do it. Though a fridge may only consume the small wattage provided from say a 150w inverter the inductive load when they start up will be considerably more so you would need a decent inverter, and probably a pure sine wave one if you wanted the fridge to last, so the numbers probably don’t add up. It is also worth remembering that domestic fridges are not really designed to be rocked about, possibly not such an issue on the broads but still a consideration.

Looks like when it finally dies I'll have to bite the bullet and spend a lot of money on a new 12v fridge, I'll have a read back I'm sure I've seen post on fridges and the power consumpton and the best ones, I need a bigger fridge because 2 pints of milk and 1/2 doz eggs and my little electrolux is full, :lol:

Regards Mowjo,,,

Antares, I'm PMing you I have a question that I think your the man to answer,,,,

Well I did save a draft but where it went is anybody's guess. Here goes again. The one we have is RR47 costs £424 in 2008 (where does the time go) but there is a similar one on the Shoreline web page for fridges which is a Narrow 100 ltrs RR5010 W £459. So have not gone up that much in 4 years. I did look for a top loader but they only one they do is a 12v freezer which is a top loader.

Ours is 97 ltrs and is ample. Takes 2 x 2 ltr bottles of milk plus bottle of wine (essential) and a large bottle of still water on the bottom shelf of the door. Then there is places for tins of beer , butter, eggs etc above. A large freezer section with a lot of room below and a large salad keeper across the bottom. All in is as roomy as my little fridge I used to have indoors.

You could also look at the option of buying a Large 240v/12v coolbox from one of the big camping chain stores, it sure would work out a cheaper option than buying a marine fridge, and the latest models are very much improved in effiecentcy, and can be run of either 240v mains or the 12v system.

A lot of people on the camping forums praise the Coleman branded stuff, one member i know of uses hers to transport fresh foods from home down to the South of France and still manages to arrive on site with her meals frozen from when she took them out of her freezer the night before, and thats from plugging into the car cigrette lighter socket.

We did splash out on a Waeco toploader when we had our catering trailer, but sadly despite it being a well made bit of kit, it died on us in the third season of use when the electrics failed and a repair was just not economically viable. We now run a threeway Dometic fitted unit in our caravan, plus a 'curry's special' tabletop freezer which cost us £39 out of last winters sale, and holds a cavernous amount of frozen foods and can keep frozen from home to the broads on a 5 hrs journey without any sign of defrosting.

Julz :wave

No, it isnt Hylander, it runs off 240v hook-up (shore-power) but according to the instructions, its designed to keep foods frozen for upto 12hrs during a power failure, so its happy to keep stuff frozen solid whilst in transit, we froze several packs of Norfolk gluten free bangers last Thursday to bring home for our daughter, the journey took 5hrs, and they were still frozen solid, along with a tub of Norfolk County Icecream when we arrived home last night. They also do a matching tabletop fridge, although I was a bit too late for the offer on that one last year, but maywell invest in one next January as a drinks fridge if they are reduced back down to that bargain price again.

Argos do a similar model for around £80 for anyone who cannot afford to wait for the sales :grin:

Julz :wave