4 NIGHTS IN AUGUST

ferryman

Hello everyone we had 4 nights on the broads 20th -24th august just got around to putting the holiday tale on here as we went to the cotswolds after the broads.the holiday started on the 19th august ,.we drove to corby northants for an overnight stay at a very nice premier inn it was 87f a great start to the holiday.

monday the 20th of august left us with a 2 hour drive to potter heigham and herbert woods ,we stopped at wroxham where we stocked up at roys !! to kill some time we went to horning.

we arrived at herbert woods about 13.30pm the weather was fabulous it was looking like we had chosen the right week ! evening light 1 was ready to go just had a quick look around the boat with derek a very nice from woods and we was off !!! we had been trying to plan an itinary but man utd playing everton that night meant i had to head for sutton staithe hotel it being one of a very few north broads pubs that show sky sports !!

sutton staithe was chokker as it was about 17.30pm when we got there we cruised up and down the staithe a couple of times and it looked like our luck was out until angela my wife shouted to one guy in a private boat if he could move up a tad ? he said no problem and we was moored !!

we had not been to sutton staithe before its a lovely spot !! that evening we ate on the boat as we had brought provisions for an evening meal just in case we couldnt moor up near a pub/restaurant ,tuna pasta with garlic bread al fresco fab !!!

evening meal finished we had a walk to the sutton staithe hotel ,very busy place with lots of diners!!

it would have been a perfect first night but man utd got beat !!!!

21st august a beautiful morning breakfast on board with canopy open sun beating down. a lovely morning we set off to salhouse when we got there ,only one mooring space i couldnt reverse and no one would help so the air was blue !!so went to wroxham our intentions to spend sometime shopping buying gifts etc ,we had a great fish chips and mushy peas from kens chippy on the bridge best fish and chips ever !! we washed the meal down with drinks from the kings head .that night we had a few drinks on the boat looking forward to an early start and going under wroxham bridge to coltishall .

22nd august up early rang the pilot at 8-30 expecting a 11am ish passage under the bridge ,the pilot said you can go now !! he got us under the bridge and we had breakfast moored up near the park. after breakfast we cruised to coltishall i was very concerned about the reeds that had been cut and were floating all over the river luckily it didnt cause us a prob,.saw our first kingfisher on this stretch,we got to coltishall about 11.30am it was very busy and only a few free mooring spaces!! we had a lot of free time to use and luckily we had seen a brochure re the bure valley railway and decided to have a look at the new deli in horstead then go to the bure valley railway , .the deli fish and farm i think its called as some lovely food on display !! the recruiting sergeant car park was full ? i had heard on here the pub was not doing so well ? we set of back to coltishall to hopefully see a sign for the bure valley railway nothing to be seen ,i asked at the pharmacy who gave us directions .its a fantastic 15inch gauge steam loco we paid the fare to aylsham and back and well worth the cost we saw some lovely countryside and quaint little junctions.aylsham station is very nice lots of volunteers offering shop and restaurant facilities .on returning to the boat we had evening meal on the boat it was a great curry we had bought from tesco whilst at sutton staithe!

we had a walk out to the kings head not sure its a pub these days ,i bought a drink for me and the wife went outside sat on the patio,it got a bit chilly walked back in the kings head a waitress said"are you dining tonight i said no !i just want to sit down she said "all the seats are taken by diners !! so we went back outside finished our drinks and moved to the rising sun.the rising sun looks very nice althought its had a chequered past it was busy and good decor. i always think its one of the best places to moor overnight.a lovely day and warm evening doesnt get much better .

23rd august 0730 am sun shining again !! had a walk to the village to stretch our legs and get a paper !! we knew we had lots of time to get back to wroxham as the pilot told us we could get under the bridge to well after lunchtime.we got under the bridge at about midday and the pilot moored us up in faircraft loynes basin,i started to prepare brunch the wife went to roys !! after brunch we set off to herbert woods we had planned to have our last night in the boatyard ,we got to herbertt woods late afternoon and quite a few hirers had the same idea and where having their last night at the yard,,.we had pre booked a meal at the falgate i know its a bit quirky but the food is very good and large portions.arrived at the falgate via the broadshaven tavern where i had a lovely aspalls cider,the wife had a g&t another lovely evening!! the food didnt disappoint at the falgate !! 4 days had shot by our last night but we had a very good time sunshine and hot all the holiday !!

24th august 0800am although 0900am is the official time to return the boat ,cleaners and mechanics where swarming over the boats at 0800 am we felt under pressure and moved off the boat signed the boat off and went to horning where we had a fabulous breakfast at the new inn !!! biggest let down of the holiday was the 6 and a half hours to get home averaging 35 miles an hour !!! englands roads are a joke !!! i want to do the broads soon as herbert woods have some great offers but i dont think i will be able to persuade angela she only does the boat to please me !! well to next time !! photos will follow just not got the hang off inserting them in the story cheersbar ,ken and angela ps that reminds me next boat will have an elevated steering position so i can reverse !!! cheersbar

:wave hi ken & angela , great story, glad you had a lovely time, you'll find that once you've been once you'll want to come again, as it's very addictive, just one thing to remember when reversing, always remember you can steer a boat forwards but you can only drive a boat backwards, i'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it. lori :Stinky