A report from a new Broadsman!

TedNewman

I have been asked to report on our first trip on the Broads and to report on the boat!

First the boat:-

An Alphacraft Rapide which I was worried about as I had read a couple of rather damning reports HOWEVER I need not have been concerned as this boat was easy to ‘’drive’’, especially with its bow thrusters, and comfortable to live with plus it is designed to go under ALL Broads bridges.

The boat was easy to access from land except when there was a very high tide and then I deployed my secret weapon (an old milk crate) which was placed in a strategic position for our lady guest who suffers very badly from arthritis BUT as it was there we all used it. Getting around the outside is easy as there is a good walk way all the way round the vessel with steps leading up from the lower bow section to higher stern area and this can be accessed either from the stern doors or the upper steering position via a small door. There are hand holds all the way round for those of a nervous disposition and there is a very good open seating area as well as two ‘’sun decks’’.

The steering positions are fine but the seats could do with being somewhat lower however we managed without a problem and without any serious ‘’back aches’’ however we did take it in turns to steer although I did do the lions share.

The cabins were fine with a two drawer cabinet and a three quarter sized hanging cupboard in each plus there is a full sized wardrobe in the lounge area. The beds were snug but comfortable even for me and I am not small. The toilets were a little strange but absolutely usable even if not designed to read the newspaper on! Plus the area was a ‘’wet room’ so you either just wash or have a shower and there is plenty of hot water.

Head room was fine along the main walking and working areas but a little confined behind the large lounge table – you just had to remember when standing up!

The galley was well equipped with gas hob, oven and grill plus a large 12 volt electric fridge. There was also a microwave and a toaster, neither of which we used. The boat was well stocked with all other equipment such as pots, pans, crockery and cutlery.

In the lounge area there was a 240 volt flat screen TV and DVD plus Playstation .

The boat was heated by a powerful diesel heater with a 12 volt fan air blower which warmed the boat up rapidly BUT it was needed to keep it on full time as it was very cold in the evenings and not that warm during the day although we did not get any rain.

Here the boat showed its limitations as to keep the 12 volt system batteries charged we often had to run the engine when moored. The boat employs three separate electrical circuits :- two batteries for the 12 volts, two batteries with an inverter for the 240 volts and a dedicated battery for the engine BUT it lacked a ‘’shore connection’’ for the electrics so it relied entirely on its own batteries and charging systems – personally I would either scrap the 240 volts and dedicate all four batteries to 12 volts or add a ‘’shore connector’’. TVs come in all shapes and form at 12 volts and one can toast bread under the grill plus a microwave is not an essential for life!

Finally the boat is now a few years old and is rather tired and really could do with a refit.

Now for the trip:-

There were four of us all novices and made more difficult that my wife’s cousin and husband speak no English so I could not shout instructions on mooring but relied on my wife to translate.

Not knowing what to expect never having driven a boat before I was surprised how relatively easy it is – providing one takes the good advice given on this (and other ) forums and takes it slowly and it is imperative to know your knots.

Our first night we spent at Brampton, unfortunately the pub was closed but we had brought food along with us so the ‘’girls’’ cooked up a splendid meal plus the actual moorings were very quiet.

The second day we visited, Rockland Broad then Lodden for lunch – a pretty little town – we then proceeded to Reedham, where we walked around the village and decided to stay for the night and have our evening meal in the Lord Nelson, the food was good and plentiful and the staff cheerful BUT the pub was not heated and we had to sit in our anoraks.

The third day we followed the Yare to Breydon BUT did not cross it! We just turned down the Waveny stopping at Burgh Castle for morning coffee and a walk along the bank. After that we sailed on towards Burgh St Peter for lunch, passing under St Olaves bridge and Somerleyton Bridge where the water was extremely high but we made it with about 3 inches to spare without lowering the windshield. At the Waveny River Centre we explored a little then had lunch before continuing to Beccles for the night. Beccles really is a lovely little town and the yacht station very accommodating so we enjoyed our stop here.

On the fourth day we sailed back towards Brundall stopping at Reedham again for our lunch this time – here the Broads Authority Ranger insisted we moored outside the Lord Nelson despite the ‘’Private Moorings’’ sign as he said that all the mooring came under the Broad Authority jurisdiction and the Lord Nelson had no rights to put up this sign! We then sailed up stream going via Surlingham Broad to the Ferry House for the night – an excellent stop with a first rate pub where we had our last evenings meal - good food, well cooked and presented by very friendly staff.

The fifth and final day was just a forty minute ‘’drive’’ back to Brundall where I was very pleased with my efforts and managed to get the boat right back into its original parking position!

The weather could have been warmer but it never rained on us so we all stayed ‘’on top’’ for the whole trip which we thoroughly enjoyed – I am now planning the next trip for just the two of us perhaps next Spring time – any tips on an excellent two berth vessel, whilst I won’t go as far as to say money does not count, the class and luxury of the boat is of paramount importance.

And finally many thanks to all those that posted greetings, advice and tips as this information proved invaluable to us cheersbar

Ted & Karin Newman plus Michael & Gisela Temme

Hello Ted,

Thank you for postiing your report from your trip on the Broads.

It would seem that you had a good time despite the cold and the closed pub, we have had to rustle up the odd meal over the years whilst moored at Bramerton.

It sounds as if you have caught the Broads Bug, be warned there is no known cure.

I would check out the boats that look like a floating bedroom, they are all on one level and are ideal for two people and will give you the luxury that you want.

Regards

Alan