potter heigham bridge (western horizon)

lealy5

hi all going on the broads next week on western horizon craft just wondering if i will stand anychance of getting under potter heigham bridge on this craft ,i believe the boat is max height of 6.9ft ,looking at the tide tables its favourable on sunday 7th oct.

Western Horizon does indeed need 6' 9" but, at this time of year, that's a big ask. Ring the pilots the day before you hope to pass. The mobile number will be in your Skipper's Manual.

Expliot has more expertise than me but in any case I'll say I agree. Your best bet is to plan on not being able to go through and if you can it's a bonus. This time last year I had Crown Gem but was stuffed even though it would have squeezed through with about 6 foot 4! Available headroom was only around 6 foot as I recall. You'll have better luck with Wroxham hopefully.

To get an approximate idea of what the clearance at Potter is at any time, the Environment Agency have an online river level gauge at Repps, just downstream.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ionId=6217

At 04:30 this morning ( on 4th Oct 2012 ) this was showing the river height there as 0.47 metres, with a current tidal fluctuation of about 8 inches.

If you subtract that from the fixed constant of 2.335 metres, you get 1.865 metres, which will be the current height showing on the bridge height gauges, (not the one in the Pilot's office).

That's 6 feet 1.4 inches then, quite usual for the Autumn, which is normally less than in Summer as EP said, "a big ask" .....