Beating down the Potter odds

Broads01

Hello Strowager,

Whilst the Broads Authority may be a member of the National Parks, the Norfolk Broads is not a National Park at the moment even though there are people at the BA that would wish it is.

We have a national park on our doorstep, The Peak District Nation Park is only 5 miles from where I live. This type of park protects the rights of hikers, farmers and people living in the area of the park.

The trouble with the plans for the Norfolk Broads IMHO would impair the rights for users of boats, fishermen and hikers under certain conditions and as such needs to be thought of carefully.

Regards

Alan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the people who want to restrict the numbers by not implementing suggested changes also are saddened when there local pub closes through lack of trade! I'm not a regular user of a pub but i very much like them to be open when i do want to use one, many others like me who couldn't afford to use a pub regular enough to make sure they can keep trading (neither do i want to drink that much).

The beauty of living in this part of the country is that we have a very low population per square mile, fabulous open spaces. but this means few locals to sustain business. Norfolk for many, many years (far more than i have been around) Has sold its self to tourism this is how our wheels keep turning.

I do not nor have ever had any direct financial interest in the hire yards but without the money generated by them the river tolls would be more than just expensive so much so that most private boat owners would have to give it up, this then does impact me.

Clive if I had power you would have your 10% discount and all others that cannot fit under potter why should you pay for a section of waterway that you can't use?

A new section bypassing the bridge is a great idea but as has been said the new bridge is also a bit low so the new canal option is the best one, 10%+ with a new section, is 10% less congestion, Peoples property/land on the new waterway would sore in some cases adding a extra 0 to the value! If for some reason they don't want to live next to to water then cash in!

How much would it all cost if it could happen? A lot but not as much as it could if people really wanted it, I for one would donate time if i could be of use, Norfolk is full of people with diggers (I have one but its to tired to be useful) farmers would allow whats dug out to be spread on fields when the fields are empty.

Things can happen if enough people apply pressure.

Hello Strowager,

Whilst the Broads Authority may be a member of the National Parks, the Norfolk Broads is not a National Park at the moment even though there are people at the BA that would wish it is. We have a national park on our doorstep, The Peak District Nation Park is only 5 miles from where I live. This type of park protects the rights of hikers, farmers and people living in the area of the park. The trouble with the plans for the Norfolk Broads IMHO would impair the rights for users of boats, fishermen and hikers under certain conditions and as such needs to be thought of carefully.

Regards

Alan

sigh... that subject has not been hammered to death on this particular Broads forum, ( thank God), and I did add a lighthearted footnote to my previous post, a big mistake it would now seem.

So far, this particular Broads forum does not have any persistant anti-BA champions, that try to use it as a personal soap box against the CEO.

Like many boat users and forum members, I have no problem with anyone calling the Broads a "National Park", because it doesn't make the adoption of the Sandford Principle any more likely, since Parliament itself have already decreed that it can't be applied here, unlike all other National Parks, like the Peak District.

If my boats cant get under and there is nearly 10% past the bridge, do you reckon I will be allowed a 10% reduction in my tolls? :naughty::naughty:

After all, it is only really sailing boats which go up there who need the dredging to be done ;)

Is this helping with your decision on which boat to hire Simon?

Perhaps what the area needs is a waterbourne Theme park??

Maybe If I bought a boat with a 15ft air draught I could force the BA to give me a 90% reduction in tolls, since I could then only get access between Acle, Ludham, and Wroxham ?

:naughty::naughty:

[

Maybe If I bought a boat with a 15ft air draught I could force the BA to give me a 90% reduction in tolls, since I could then only get access between Acle, Ludham, and Wroxham ?

:naughty::naughty:

Now, I think you maybe on to something there, I will put them with my 14 foot beam boats, how much reduction would I get on them :naughty:;)

Jonzo wrote:

Trouble is, as a public sector project that'll cost several million...

Several? And the rest. The way this country is with elf'n'safety and the fact that everyone wants money for the smallest thing, I would doubt you'd get change out of £25m.

It cost over £2 million to reinstate a level crossing joining two bits of railway track no more than 70 yards apart in Sheringham.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've booked for next year. Contrary to my original post we won't need three cabins as there'll be only 4 of us aboard, so opted for Tropic Horizon. Not 240 volt, but thanks to expilot's info, a 6 foot 8 air draft gives half a shout at Potter, even if it's only a 5-1 shot! If the sliding roof doesn't lower to it's original stops we'll just have to take the roof off...

Serious question,

I know that you can lift a boat at HW's is there somewhere to return it to the water on the other side? (Whispering reeds maybe)

And how much is this likely to cost?

Im sure you would have to have it transported, then you could have Martham boat co, put it in. At a guess (depending the size of the boat) £120-£150 per lift and im not sure on transport.

The crane option sounds good. Sat at the side of the bridge with it straps weighted (straps every 3 foot) under the water, you stop it lifts - level crossing lights on bridge then swing and drop back in.

Could also swing to bank for a cheap lift out service.

On Carosel in March whats chance of low water then?

The fact is the bridge has been there for hundreds of years and it is fair to presume over this time it has sunk and the river level has risen.

When the bypass used the old railway bed the bridge is not much higher than the existing ‘old potter bridge’ (though there is no worry of the shape of the bridge causing wide beam craft issues regardless of actual centre height).

You’ve got a ‘few’ keen boaters wanting to get under the old bridge and whilst it could be argued about increase in business if it were more or less guaranteed a boat could get up to Hickling etc, you have to bear in mind too this is a wildlife haven so any increase in boat traffic put the industry and business in conflict with the green lobby. As I am sure we all know in anything like this, cost vs environment – unless it is a road that will affect many thousands of people and prosper a whole town or city, usually the environment wins.

So if I turned up with several million and a team of civil engineers, do you think Norfolk County Council would let us raise the bridge, move it or otherwise dig canals? I say not. It is not a lot to do with money, more with public opinion and I’d guess there are more people wanting things as is or even ‘no boats’ and it be left to nature as a wetland habitat than boaters wanting to use the area more.

Also, I have a feeling that slowly boat builders (and hirers) are worrying less about where they can actually go – Look at Far Horizon from Horizon Craft at Acle. It won’t go anywhere much, not under Ludham, not south of Yarmouth even – yet it seems to be rather booked up for 2013 already. It looks the part, and having hired it very much feels it too, though completely impractical really for a river system such as the Broads.

The point is when is a boat builder going to go double decker? Forget the bridges – you are limited to 12ft 6†beam on most of the northern rivers, so I recon you could do a 46ft long boat that was say 14ft -15ft tall (and no not two ‘bath tubs’ on top of each other) that would look horrid, but take Fair President style if the bow line took off in a curve to a roof line of 15ft with a sheer back end (complete with patio on the lower deck) it might not actually look too terribly, sleeping upstairs lounges downstairs.

So I recon the future is bling boats which bring in the pounds and hirers – and who don’t much mind if their boat cannot fit under certain bridges. Finally, as a bit of a turn about to the norm – if I could, I’d raise Ludham Bridge to accommodate taller craft rather than Potter...

so I recon you could do a 46ft long boat that was say 14ft -15ft tall (and no not two ‘bath tubs’ on top of each other) that would look horrid,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! :)

post-669-136713950304_thumb.jpg