Increase in maximum vessel width?

Matt

Matt: I couldn't find the reference to boat width in the page? Did I miss it somehow.

I did see a little comment about "Waste from Boats" where they want to treat waste from hire boats as "Business Waste" and charge for its disposal whilst waste from private boats is "Domestic"...

Watch out for signs on the bins saying "No hireboat waste" and people hiding in the trees at Ranworth Staithe...

Matt: I couldn't find the reference to boat width in the page? Did I miss it somehow.

'The Group considered a proposal to amend the Navigation Dimension

Bylaws to increase the maximum allowable vessel width. They agreed

a methodology for judging acceptable vessel widths in the context of

available river widths. The Hire Boat Federation would be consulted.'

They agreed

a methodology for judging acceptable vessel widths in the context of

available river widths. The Hire Boat Federation would be consulted.'

So can we expect to see width restriction signs on various bits of the system soon

instead of the current standard of 12ft.

I think that the real problem would be if they decide to introduce reduced widths in some areas a lot of the existing boat owners (and not just the hire-fleets might not be too happy with that)

On the waste issue Mick at the new inn at rockland has been having issues with that, they used to use bins on his property for boaters but stopped collecting it when it was deemed trade waste causing him to get rats around so he's had to stop people using it, can't blame him at all as most of the hire boats use the bins but don't use the pub.

So can we expect to see width restriction signs on various bits of the system soon

instead of the current standard of 12ft.

I think that the real problem would be if they decide to introduce reduced widths in some areas a lot of the existing boat owners (and not just the hire-fleets might not be too happy with that)

I read that as they are considering removing or raising the maximum width restrictions, not imposing them Martin? There are already boats in excess of 14' beam around, but I really don't know what the bylaws currently say is the maximum permissible width?

I read that as they are considering removing or raising the maximum width restrictions, not imposing them Martin? There are already boats in excess of 14' beam around, but I really don't know what the bylaws currently say is the maximum permissible width?

Thanks Mark, I had missed that, perhaps because I have a cynical regard for most quangos...

Current byelaws can be found at:

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/broads/live/boating/navigating/byelaws/Vessel_Dimensions_Byelaws.pdf

I must admit I hadn't studied them much before myself, mainly because most hire boats fall in the "unrestricted" category.

The only oversize ones that I have considered hiring in the past are Alphacraft's "Brabizon" class (normal beam but longer than 46ft),

and I worked out that they were exempt due to their age.

I like the fact that you can take a Wherry Yacht anywhere, I did once look into hiring White Moth, but as she is skippered then it would be up to the skipper where he let you ask him to take her anyway.

I have also seen photos of Hathor up at Dilham, I wouldn't have wanted to meet her on the stretch north of Wayford Bridge!