Yet more 1960s YouTube footage

AdnamsGirl

Another new bit of historic cine film of the Broads has appeared on YouTube. By the clothes and hair styles I'm guessing probably mid 1960s. The holiday was taken onboard one of the Sea Huntress class of Elysian 34's from A.G. Ward's of Thorpe.

Lovely to see the passenger steamers Resolute and Queen of the Broads, plus the Golden Galleon and a wherry or two along the way .... also a very close encounter between a coaster and Reedham Bridge! :o

Carol

Hi Carol

Great film, I think the John Lennon style hat and the Peter Asher specs put it pretty firmly in the 60’s! Nice to see Great Yarmouth looking a bit more salubrious then too :naughty:

Plenty of flappy things in there as well and what looked to be a sunken boat about two thirds of the way through?? One of the ladies even looks disturbingly like my mother in law :o

Really enjoyable piece of film cheersbar

• 1 month later...

Hi Jill,

You were spot on with the C registered Ford Corsaire so even if the car was new the earliest the film could have been would have been 1965, my guess would have been a few years later going by the fashions.

Great film by the way Carol and how full those trip boats were even the small ones, Oulton Broad with the Wherry Hotel hardly looked different other than the boats.

Regards

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yet more 1960s cine film has been uploaded to YouTube this week. I'm guessing that this colour footage dates from the early 1960s, certainly pre 1965 as Horning Ferry Inn still has a thatched roof (it burnt down in April 65). It's part of an hour long collection of holiday cine films of various UK locations which have been uploaded as one, but the Broads footage begins at 39 mins 42 secs in and runs for about 11 or 12 minutes. I can't fathom out how to embed a YouTube video which starts at a specified point on here so this link > http://youtu.be/I6KkUxb9yZg?t=39m41s should take you straight to the start of the Broads section if you don't want to wade through the whole film embedded below.

Great footage of Horning riverfront.

Carol

Some great footage there Carol – well spotted and thanks for sharing with us. I was trying to work out which boat it was – a Herbert Woods, looked like Shimmer of Light or Glitter of Light? The reg number looked to be B763?? There were some shots of a boatyard later in the film which could have been Horning or Wroxham? Again couldn’t work out which one it was.

I was also interested in the bridge right at the start of the clip. It looked like the old rail bridge at Yarmouth. It was still there in the 1960’s although the line closed in the 50’s I believe. I wonder if it was used as a road bridge as there looked to be a van driving over it?

Also looked very busy on the rivers particularly on Oulton Broad! All good stuff.

cheersbar

Hi Howard

The bridge at the start of the footage was the old calender-hamilton bridge which crossed the Bure roughly where the new road bridge does. It was installed in 1952 to replace the old suspension bridge (which had actually been closed sine the 1930s) to meet the demands of increased road traffic going in and out of Yarmouth. It was meant to be a temporary bridge but wasn't removed until the early 1970s!

The next shots are of Marine Parade at Yarmouth and then back to the river where the Queen of the Broads passenger steamer passes beneath the bridge. The family then cross Breydon and there is footage of Lowestoft and Oulton Broad (including powerboat racing).

After some general river scenes, there seems to be a ****** of some buildings and a bus which don't quite fit .... I think they must be from a different holiday elsewhere in the UK?

I think the film then moves to the northern rivers - can't place the dyke and building seen at the moment. There are then a couple of Broads Tours passenger launches followed by ..... I'm not quite sure ... it looks like a Broad but you see what looks like a rail bridge in the background. Could this be Bridge Broad at Wroxham? This section is a bit shakey and over so quick!

They then pass "Burefield" at Horning with it's distinctive summerhouse and head upstream into Horning - the first riverside cottages you see were downstream of the Ferry, past the pub itself and then houses upstream. They also pass Turners boatyard (you get a brief glimpse of the houseboat Heather on her moorings there) and Chumley & Hawke with it's houseboats. More riverside properties at Horning including the old Petersfield cottage then they pass Percivals boatyard.

The film then moves to Wroxham - the building with the verandah and passenger launch outside was the Broads Tours base - the film cuts just as they are about to pass beneath the rail bridge.

B763 certainly looks like one of the Glitter/Glimmer/Flicker/Shimmer of Light class from Woods - again it's a bit too fuzzy to make out which!

More footage of Breydon, I think and then I can't place the final scene after the sailing shots ... Coltishall?? St. Olaves ??

Carol

Hi Carol

Many thanks, I was wondering where some of the shots were. I agree about the dyke (Oby Dyke?) which looked to me like Boundary Farm in the background.

Very interesting about the bridge, I didn’t realise there had been a temporary one. I first went through Yarmouth in 1976 so the new bridge would have been built by then although as I recall the old rail bridge was still there.

I would have guessed the final scene as Colitshall, the river looks fairly narrow and the slope of the banks looks about right. It’s a film you can watch over and over again as there are so many things to see!

cheersbar

If you pause the video at 46mins 22secs, you see 2 kids in a rowing boat. At the back are some rented cottages and a day boat.

We think that those two kids are my wife Christina and her sister Angela. Their family used to rent the cottage every year in the 1960s and also that dayboat. It's hard to be certain but it certainly looks right and it was quite a surprise to see it. We have e-mailed Angela in Canada and I will let you know if she thinks it is them also.

Nigel

Ludham

Great stuff Carol,seems like yesterday, :o is that your mooring at Oulton Colin ? The holiday film family were well turned out particularly Mum in her nautical outfits and the large hamper ,not a bottle or beer can in sight ! Thanks for that.

• 2 months later...

I've got some more 1960s footage of the Norfolk Broads for you - this is my latest purchase for the Broadland Memories Archive which I had transferred last week by Video Impact at Loddon http://www.videoimpactuk.com/

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the couple featured in this film, but it dates from 1962 and was shot on 8mm colour film stock. There is some lovely footage of Horning as they pass the Norfolk Holiday Boats yard (ex Banham's) and H.T. Percivals and the Petersfield House Hotel. Lots of shots of sailing, motor cruisers and some rather naughty speedboats! :o

Carol